Absolute beam emittance measurements at RHIC using ionization profile monitors
In the past, comparisons between emittance measurements obtained using ionization profile monitors, Vernier scans (using as input the measured rates from the zero degree counters, or ZDCs), the polarimeters and the Schottky detectors evidenced significant variations of up to 100%. In this report we present studies of the RHIC ionization profile monitors (IPMs). After identifying and correcting for two systematic instrumental errors in the beam size measurements, we present experimental results showing that the remaining dominant error in beam emittance measurements at RHIC using the IPMs was imprecise knowledge of the local beta functions. After removal of the systematic errors and implementation of measured beta functions, precise emittance measurements result. Also, consistency between the emittances measured by the IPMs and those derived from the ZDCs was demonstrated.
- Brookhaven National Lab. (BNL), Upton, NY (United States). Collider-Accelerator Dept.
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Report Number(s):
- BNL--105970-2014-IR; BNL--C-A/AP/522
R&D Project: KBCH139; KB0202011; TRN: US1500116
- DOE Contract Number:
- Resource Type:
- Technical Report
- Research Org:
- Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL), Upton, NY (United States). Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Science (SC)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 43 PARTICLE ACCELERATORS; BROOKHAVEN RHIC; IONIZATION CHAMBERS; BEAM EMITTANCE; DATA COVARIANCES; COMPARATIVE EVALUATIONS; FUNCTIONS; ACCURACY; POLARIMETERS; BEAM PROFILES; BEAM MONITORS relativistic heavy ion collider
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.