The influence of longitudinal space charge fields on the modulation process of coherent electron cooling
Initial modulation in Coherent electron cooling (CeC) scheme relies on ion charge screening by electrons. In a CeC system with bunched electron beam, the long-range longitudinal space charge force is inevitably induced. For a relatively dense electron beam, it can be comparable or even greater than the attractive force from the ion. Hence, space-charge field influence to the modulation process could be important. If the longitudinal Debye length is much smaller than the electron bunch length, the modulation induced by the ion happens locally. In this case, the long-range longitudinal space charge field can be approximated as a uniform electric field across the region. In this paper we developed an analytical model to study the dynamics of ion shielding in the presence of a uniform electric field. We are solving the coupled Vlasov-Poisson equation system for infinite anisotropic electron plasma and estimate the influences of the longitudinal space charge field to the modulation process. We present numerical estimates for a case of the proof of CeC principle experiment at RHIC.
- Brookhaven National Lab. (BNL), Upton, NY (United States). Collider-Accelerator Dept.
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Report Number(s):
- BNL-105410-2014-IR; BNL-C-A/AP/513
R&D Project: KBCH139; KB0202011; TRN: US1500111
- DOE Contract Number:
- Resource Type:
- Technical Report
- Research Org:
- Brookhaven National Lab. (BNL), Upton, NY (United States). Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Science (SC)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 43 PARTICLE ACCELERATORS; DEBYE LENGTH; ELECTRON BEAMS; ELECTRON COOLING; SPACE CHARGE; MODULATION; POISSON EQUATION; BROOKHAVEN RHIC; COMPARATIVE EVALUATIONS; COULOMB FIELD; APPROXIMATIONS; ANISOTROPY; PLASMA; ANALYTICAL SOLUTION; BEAM BUNCHING; ELECTRON DENSITY; ION BEAMS; relativistic heavy ion collider
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.