A process for containment removal and waste volume reduction to remediate groundwater containing certain radionuclides, toxic metals and organics. Final report
A project to remove groundwater contaminants by an improved treatment process was performed during 1990 October--1992 March by Atomic Energy of Canada Limited for the United States Department of Energy, managed by Argonne National Laboratory. The goal was to generate high-quality effluent while minimizing secondary waste volume. Two effluent target levels, within an order of magnitude, or less than the US Drinking Water Limit, were set to judge the process effectiveness. The program employed mixed waste feeds containing cadmium, uranium, lead, iron, calcium, strontium-85-90, cesium-137, benzene and trichlorethylene in simulated and actual groundwater and soil leachate solutions. A combination of process steps consisting of sequential chemical conditioning, cross-flow microfiltration and dewatering by low temperature-evaporation, or filter pressing were effective for the treatment of mixed waste having diverse physico-chemical properties. A simplified single-stage version of the process was implemented to treat ground and surface waters contaminated with strontium-90 at the Chalk River Laboratories site. Effluent targets and project goals were met successfully.
- Atomic Energy of Canada Ltd., Chalk River, ON (Canada). Chalk River Nuclear Labs.
- Publication Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Report Number(s):
ON: DE93016230; TRN: 93:016295
- DOE Contract Number:
- Resource Type:
- Technical Report
- Resource Relation:
- Other Information: PBD: Sep 1992
- Research Org:
- Argonne National Lab., IL (United States); Atomic Energy of Canada Ltd., Chalk River, ON (Canada). Chalk River Nuclear Labs.
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE, Washington, DC (United States)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 11 NUCLEAR FUEL CYCLE AND FUEL MATERIALS; 54 ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCES; GROUND WATER; REMEDIAL ACTION; SOILS; PROGRESS REPORT; LEACHATES; FILTRATION; MIXTURES; RADIOACTIVE WASTES; HAZARDOUS MATERIALS; STRONTIUM 90; CESIUM 137; BENZENE; LEAD; ION EXCHANGE; ADSORPTION; METALS 054000; 540230; 540220; HEALTH AND SAFETY; RADIOACTIVE MATERIALS MONITORING AND TRANSPORT; CHEMICALS MONITORING AND TRANSPORT
Enter terms in the toolbar above to search the full text of this document for pages containing specific keywords.