This content will become publicly available on April 3, 2019
The Application of Poly(3-hexylthiophene-2,5-diyl) as a Protective Coating for High Rate Cathode Materials
Poly (3-hexylthiophene-2,5-diyl) (P3HT), a conducting polymer studied extensively for its optoelectronic devices, offers a number of advantageous properties when used as a conductive binder for lithium-ion battery cathode materials. By mixing with carbon nanotubes (CNT), P3HTCNT serves as a surface coating for the cathode material LiNi 0.8Co 0.15Al 0.05O 2 (NCA). Oxidation of the P3HT enables high electronic and ionic conductivity to be achieved over the potential range where the NCA is electrochemically active. In addition to the conductivity benefits from electrochemical doping, the P3HT-CNT coating suppresses electrolyte breakdown, thus inhibiting growth of the solid electrolyte interphase (SEI) layer and preventing intergranular cracking in the NCA particles. In conclusion, The use of the P3HT-CNT binder system leads to improved cycling for NCA at high power density with capacities of 80 mAh g -1 obtained after 1000 cycles at 16C, a value that is 4 times greater than what is achieved in the control electrode.
- Univ. of California, Los Angeles, CA (United States). Dept. of Materials Science and Engineering
- Univ. of California, Los Angeles, CA (United States). Dept. of Chemistry and Biochemistry
- Univ. of California, Los Angeles, CA (United States). Dept. of Materials Science and Engineering and The California NanoSystems Inst.
- Univ. of California, Los Angeles, CA (United States). The California NanoSystems Inst.
- Publication Date:
- Grant/Contract Number:
- SC0014213; N00014-16-1-2164; AC02-76SF00515
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- Chemistry of Materials
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 30; Journal Issue: 8; Journal ID: ISSN 0897-4756
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- Research Org:
- Univ. of California, Los Angeles, CA (United States); SLAC National Accelerator Lab., Menlo Park, CA (United States). Stanford Synchrotron Radiation Lightsource (SSRL)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Science (SC), Basic Energy Sciences (BES) (SC-22); US Department of the Navy, Office of Naval Research (ONR)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 37 INORGANIC, ORGANIC, PHYSICAL, AND ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY; 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE
- OSTI Identifier: