This content will become publicly available on October 3, 2018
Solvent effect in sonochemical synthesis of metal-alloy nanoparticles for use as electrocatalysts
Nanomaterials are now widely used in the fabrication of electrodes and electrocatalysts. In this paper, we report a sonochemical study of the synthesis of molybdenum and palladium alloy nanomaterials supported on functionalized carbon material in various solvents: hexadecane, ethanol, ethylene glycol, polyethylene glycol (PEG 400) and Ionic liquids (ILs). The objective was to identify simple and more environmentally friendly design and fabrication methods for nanomaterial synthesis that are suitable as electrocatalysts in electrochemical applications. The particles size and distribution of nanomaterials were compared on two different carbons as supports: activated carbon and multiwall carbon nanotubes (MWCNTs). The results show that carbon materials functionalized with ILs in ethanol/deionized water mixture solvent produced smaller particles sizes (3.00 ± 0.05 nm) with uniform distribution while in PEG 400, functionalized materials produced 4.00 ± 1 nm sized particles with uneven distribution (range). In hexadecane solvents with Polyvinylpyrrolidone (PVP) as capping ligands, large particle sizes (14.00 ± 1 nm) were produced with wide particle size distribution. Finally, the metal alloy nanoparticles produced in ILs without any external reducing agent have potential to exhibit a higher catalytic activity due to smaller particle size and uniform distribution.
- Stony Brook Univ., NY (United States). Advanced Energy Research & Technology Center. Materials Science & Chemical Engineering Dept.
- Brookhaven National Lab. (BNL), Upton, NY (United States). Chemistry Dept.
- Stony Brook Univ., NY (United States). Materials Science & Chemical Engineering Dept.
- Farmingdale State College, Farmingdale, NY (United States). Inst. for Research and Technology Transfer
- Publication Date:
- Report Number(s):
Journal ID: ISSN 1350-4177
- Grant/Contract Number:
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- Ultrasonics Sonochemistry
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 41; Journal ID: ISSN 1350-4177
- Research Org:
- Brookhaven National Lab. (BNL), Upton, NY (United States); Stony Brook Univ., NY (United States); Farmingdale State College, Farmingdale, NY (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Science (SC), Basic Energy Sciences (BES) (SC-22)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE; 37 INORGANIC, ORGANIC, PHYSICAL, AND ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY
- OSTI Identifier: