Extreme ultraviolet resonant inelastic X-ray scattering (RIXS) at a seeded free-electron laser
In the past few years, we have been witnessing an increased interest for studying materials properties under non-equilibrium conditions. Several well established spectroscopies for experiments in the energy domain have been successfully adapted to the time domain with sub-picosecond time resolution. Here we show the realization of high resolution resonant inelastic X-ray scattering (RIXS) with a stable ultrashort X-ray source such as an externally seeded free electron laser (FEL). We have designed and constructed a RIXS experimental endstation that allowed us to successfully measure the d-d excitations in KCoF 3 single crystals at the cobalt M 2,3-edge at FERMI FEL (Elettra-Sincrotrone Trieste, Italy). The FEL-RIXS spectra show an excellent agreement with the ones obtained from the same samples at the MERIXS endstation of the MERLIN beamline at the Advanced Light Source storage ring (Berkeley, USA). We established experimental protocols for performing time resolved RIXS experiments at a FEL source to avoid X ray-induced sample damage, while retaining comparable acquisition time to the synchrotron based measurements. Finally, we measured and modelled the influence of the FEL mixed electromagnetic modes, also present in externally seeded FELs, and the beam transport with ~120 meV experimental resolution achieved in the presented RIXS setup.
- Elettra Synchrotron Lab., Trieste (Italy); National Research Council (CNR), Trieste (Italy). Inst. of Materials (CNR-IOM)
- Hamburg Univ. (Germany). Physics Dept., Center for Free-Electron Laser Science
- Elettra Synchrotron Lab., Trieste (Italy)
- Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron (DESY), Hamburg (Germany). Photon Science
- Russian Academy of Sciences (RAS), Moscow (Russian Federation). Shubnikov Inst. of Crystallography
- Univ. of Cambridge (United Kingdom). Cavendish Lab.
- Univ. of Trieste (Italy). Physics Dept.
- Russian Academy of Sciences (RAS), St. Petersburg (Russian Federation). Ioffe Physical Technical Inst.
- Lawrence Berkeley National Lab. (LBNL), Berkeley, CA (United States). Advanced Light Source
- Hamburg Univ. (Germany). Physics Dept., Center for Free-Electron Laser Science; Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron (DESY), Hamburg (Germany). Photon Science
- Elettra Synchrotron Lab., Trieste (Italy); Univ. of Trieste (Italy). Physics Dept.; Univ. of Koln (Germany)
- Publication Date:
- Grant/Contract Number:
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- Scientific Reports
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 6; Journal Issue: 1; Journal ID: ISSN 2045-2322
- Nature Publishing Group
- Research Org:
- Lawrence Berkeley National Lab. (LBNL), Berkeley, CA (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Science (SC), Basic Energy Sciences (BES) (SC-22)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE; electronic properties and materials; techniques and instrumentation
- OSTI Identifier: