Elastic Anomaly and Polyamorphic Transition in (La, Ce)-based Bulk Metallic Glass under Pressure
In this paper, we discovered that in association with the polyamorphism of La 32Ce 32Al 16Ni 5Cu 15 bulk metallic glass, the acoustic velocities, measured up to 12.3 GPa using ultrasonic interferometry, exhibit velocity minima at 1.8 GPa for P wave and 3.2 GPa for S wave. The low and high density amorphous states are distinguished by their distinct pressure derivatives of the bulk and shear moduli. The elasticity, permanent densification, and polyamorphic transition are interpreted by the topological rearrangement of solute-centered clusters in medium-range order (MRO) mediated by the 4f electron delocalization of Ce under pressure. The precisely measured acoustic wave travel times which were used to derive the velocities and densities provided unprecedented data to document the evolution of the bulk and shear elastic moduli associated with a polyamorphic transition in La 32Ce 32Al 16Ni 5Cu 15 bulk metallic glass and can shed new light on the mechanisms of polyamorphism and structural evolution in metallic glasses under pressure.
- Stony Brook Univ., NY (United States). Dept. of Geosciences
- Jilin Univ., Changchun (China). State Key Lab. of Superhard Materials, College of Physics
- Brookhaven National Lab. (BNL), Upton, NY (United States). Condensed Matter Physics and Materials Science Dept.
- Zhejiang Univ., Hangzhou (China). International Center for New-Structured Materials (ICNSM), Lab. of New-Structured Materials, State Key Lab. of Silicon Materials, and School of Materials Science and Engineering
- Stony Brook Univ., NY (United States). Mineral Physics Inst.
- Publication Date:
- Grant/Contract Number:
- NA0002907; EAR1524078; 51371157; U14321056
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- Scientific Reports
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 7; Journal Issue: 1; Journal ID: ISSN 2045-2322
- Nature Publishing Group
- Research Org:
- Stony Brook Univ., NY (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA); National Science Foundation (NSF); National Natural Science Foundation of China (NNSFC)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE; 75 CONDENSED MATTER PHYSICS, SUPERCONDUCTIVITY AND SUPERFLUIDITY; Bulk metallic glass; polyamorphism; high pressure; elasticity
- OSTI Identifier: