skip to main content

DOE PAGESDOE PAGES

Title: Late-time emission of prompt fission γ rays

The emission of prompt fission γ rays within a few nanoseconds to a few microseconds following the scission point is studied in the Hauser-Feshbach formalism applied to the deexcitation of primary excited fission fragments. Neutron and γ-ray evaporations from fully accelerated fission fragments are calculated in competition at each stage of the decay, and the role of isomers in the fission products, before β decay, is analyzed. The time evolution of the average total γ-ray energy, the average total γ-ray multiplicity, and the fragment-specific γ-ray spectra is presented in the case of neutron-induced fission reactions of 235U and 239Pu, as well as spontaneous fission of 252Cf. The production of specific isomeric states is calculated and compared to available experimental data. About 7% of all prompt fission γ rays are predicted to be emitted between 10 ns and 5 μs following fission, in the case of 235U and 239Pu( nth,f) reactions, and up to 3% in the case of 252Cf spontaneous fission. The cumulative average total γ-ray energy increases by 2% to 5% in the same time interval. Lastly, those results are shown to be robust against significant changes in the model input parameters.
Authors:
 [1] ;  [1] ;  [1] ;  [1] ;  [1] ;  [1]
  1. Los Alamos National Lab. (LANL), Los Alamos, NM (United States)
Publication Date:
Report Number(s):
LA-UR-16-24045
Journal ID: ISSN 2469-9985; PRVCAN; TRN: US1701102
Grant/Contract Number:
AC52-06NA25396
Type:
Accepted Manuscript
Journal Name:
Physical Review C
Additional Journal Information:
Journal Volume: 94; Journal Issue: 6; Journal ID: ISSN 2469-9985
Publisher:
APS
Research Org:
Los Alamos National Lab. (LANL), Los Alamos, NM (United States)
Sponsoring Org:
USDOE National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA), Office of Defense Nuclear Nonproliferation (NA-20)
Country of Publication:
United States
Language:
English
Subject:
73 NUCLEAR PHYSICS AND RADIATION PHYSICS
OSTI Identifier:
1343702
Alternate Identifier(s):
OSTI ID: 1337442

Talou, Patrick, Kawano, Toshihiko, Stetcu, Ionel, Lestone, John Paul, McKigney, Edward Allen, and Chadwick, Mark Benjamin. Late-time emission of prompt fission γ rays. United States: N. p., Web. doi:10.1103/PhysRevC.94.064613.
Talou, Patrick, Kawano, Toshihiko, Stetcu, Ionel, Lestone, John Paul, McKigney, Edward Allen, & Chadwick, Mark Benjamin. Late-time emission of prompt fission γ rays. United States. doi:10.1103/PhysRevC.94.064613.
Talou, Patrick, Kawano, Toshihiko, Stetcu, Ionel, Lestone, John Paul, McKigney, Edward Allen, and Chadwick, Mark Benjamin. 2016. "Late-time emission of prompt fission γ rays". United States. doi:10.1103/PhysRevC.94.064613. https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/1343702.
@article{osti_1343702,
title = {Late-time emission of prompt fission γ rays},
author = {Talou, Patrick and Kawano, Toshihiko and Stetcu, Ionel and Lestone, John Paul and McKigney, Edward Allen and Chadwick, Mark Benjamin},
abstractNote = {The emission of prompt fission γ rays within a few nanoseconds to a few microseconds following the scission point is studied in the Hauser-Feshbach formalism applied to the deexcitation of primary excited fission fragments. Neutron and γ-ray evaporations from fully accelerated fission fragments are calculated in competition at each stage of the decay, and the role of isomers in the fission products, before β decay, is analyzed. The time evolution of the average total γ-ray energy, the average total γ-ray multiplicity, and the fragment-specific γ-ray spectra is presented in the case of neutron-induced fission reactions of 235U and 239Pu, as well as spontaneous fission of 252Cf. The production of specific isomeric states is calculated and compared to available experimental data. About 7% of all prompt fission γ rays are predicted to be emitted between 10 ns and 5 μs following fission, in the case of 235U and 239Pu(nth,f) reactions, and up to 3% in the case of 252Cf spontaneous fission. The cumulative average total γ-ray energy increases by 2% to 5% in the same time interval. Lastly, those results are shown to be robust against significant changes in the model input parameters.},
doi = {10.1103/PhysRevC.94.064613},
journal = {Physical Review C},
number = 6,
volume = 94,
place = {United States},
year = {2016},
month = {12}
}