Crystallographic changes in lead zirconate titanate due to neutron irradiation
Piezoelectric and ferroelectric materials are useful as the active element in non-destructive monitoring devices for high-radiation areas. Here, crystallographic structural refinement (i.e., the Rietveld method) is used to quantify the type and extent of structural changes in PbZr0.5Ti0.5O3 after exposure to a 1 MeV equivalent neutron fluence of 1.7 × 1015 neutrons/cm2. The results show a measurable decrease in the occupancy of Pb and O due to irradiation, with O vacancies in the tetragonal phase being created preferentially on one of the two O sites. The results demonstrate a method by which the effects of radiation on crystallographic structure may be investigated.
- Univ. of Florida, Gainesville, FL (United States). Department of Materials Science and Engineering.
- Univ. of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN (United States). Department of Materials Science and Engineering.
- Univ. of Texas, Austin, TX (United States). Department of Mechanical Engineering.
- Sandia National Lab. (SNL-NM), Albuquerque, NM (United States). Electronic, Optical, and Nanomaterials Department.
- Los Alamos Neutron Science Center, Los Alamos, New Mexico (United States)
- North Carolina State Univ., Raleigh, NC (United States). Department of Materials Science and Engineering.
- Publication Date:
- Report Number(s):
Journal ID: ISSN 2158-3226; AAIDBI
- Grant/Contract Number:
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- AIP Advances
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 4; Journal Issue: 11; Journal ID: ISSN 2158-3226
- American Institute of Physics (AIP)
- Research Org:
- Sandia National Lab. (SNL-NM), Albuquerque, NM (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE; neutron radiation effects; neutrons; powders; vacancies; crystal structure; 74 ATOMIC AND MOLECULAR PHYSICS
- OSTI Identifier:
- Alternate Identifier(s):
- OSTI ID: 1212191