Activation of cyclic electron flow by hydrogen peroxide in vivo
Cyclic electron flow (CEF) around photosystem I is thought to balance the ATP/NADPH energy budget of photosynthesis, requiring that its rate be finely regulated. The mechanisms of this regulation are not well understood. We observed that mutants that exhibited constitutively high rates of CEF also showed elevated production of H 2O 2. We thus tested the hypothesis that CEF can be activated by H 2O 2 in vivo. CEF was strongly increased by H 2O 2 both by infiltration or in situ production by chloroplast-localized glycolate oxidase, implying that H 2O 2 can activate CEF either directly by redox modulation of key enzymes, or indirectly by affecting other photosynthetic processes. CEF appeared with a half time of about 20 min after exposure to H 2O 2, suggesting activation of previously expressed CEF-related machinery. H 2O 2-dependent CEF was not sensitive to antimycin A or loss of PGR5, indicating that increased CEF probably does not involve the PGR5-PGRL1 associated pathway. In contrast, the rise in CEF was not observed in a mutant deficient in the chloroplast NADPH:PQ reductase (NDH), supporting the involvement of this complex in CEF activated by H 2O 2. In conclusion, we propose that H 2O 2 ismore »
- Michigan State Univ., East Lansing, MI (United States). Dept. of Plant Biology. Plant Research Lab.
- Washington State Univ., Pullman, WA (United States). School of Molecular Biosciences. Inst. for Biological Chemistry
- Michigan State Univ., East Lansing, MI (United States). Plant Research Lab.
- Michigan State Univ., East Lansing, MI (United States). Dept. of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. Plant Research Lab.
- Heinrich Heine Univ., Dusseldorf (Germany). Cluster of Excellence on Plant Sciences (CEPLAS). Inst. of Developmental and Molecular Biology of Plants. Plant Molecular Physiology and Biotechnology Group
- Michigan State Univ., East Lansing, MI (United States). Dept. of Plant Biology. Dept. of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. Plant Research Lab.
- Publication Date:
- Grant/Contract Number:
- FG02-04ER15559; FG02-11ER16220; MA2379/11-1
- Published Article
- Journal Name:
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 112; Journal Issue: 17; Journal ID: ISSN 0027-8424
- National Academy of Sciences, Washington, DC (United States)
- Research Org:
- Washington State Univ., Pullman, WA (United States); Michigan State Univ., East Lansing, MI (United States); Heinrich Heine Univ., Dusseldorf (Germany)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Science (SC), Basic Energy Sciences (BES) (SC-22); German Research Foundation (DFG)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 37 INORGANIC, ORGANIC, PHYSICAL, AND ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY; cyclic electron flow; photosynthesis; reactive oxygen species; stress; hydrogen peroxide
- OSTI Identifier:
- Alternate Identifier(s):
- OSTI ID: 1348375