Enhanced structural color generation in aluminum metamaterials coated with a thin polymer layer
A high-resolution and angle-insensitive structural color generation platform is demonstrated based on triple-layer aluminum-silica-aluminum metamaterials supporting surface plasmon resonances tunable across the entire visible spectrum. The color performances of the fabricated aluminum metamaterials can be strongly enhanced by coating a thin transparent polymer layer on top. The results show that the presence of the polymer layer induces a better impedance matching for the plasmonic resonances to the free space so that strong light absorption can be obtained, leading to the generation of pure colors in cyan, magenta, yellow and black (CMYK) with high color saturation.
- Missouri Univ. of Science and Technology, Rolla, MO (United States). Dept. of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering.
- Argonne National Lab., Argonne, IL (United States). Center for Nanoscale Materials.
- Publication Date:
- Grant/Contract Number:
- AC02-06CH11357; CBET-1402743
- Published Article
- Journal Name:
- Optics Express
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 23; Journal Issue: 19; Journal ID: ISSN 1094-4087
- Optical Society of America (OSA)
- Research Org:
- Argonne National Lab. (ANL), Argonne, IL (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Science (SC), Basic Energy Sciences (BES) (SC-22)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE; subwavelength structures; surface plasmons; metamaterials; color
- OSTI Identifier:
- Alternate Identifier(s):
- OSTI ID: 1215672