Effect of Ag nanoparticle concentration on the electrical and ferroelectric properties of Ag/P(VDF-TrFE) composite films
Here, we investigated the effect of the Ag nanoparticles on the ferroelectric and piezoelectric properties of Ag/poly(vinylidenefluoride-trifluoroethylene) (P(VDF-TrFE)) composite films. We found that the remanent polarization and direct piezoelectric coefficient increased up to 12.14 μC/cm2 and 20.23 pC/N when the Ag concentration increased up to 0.005 volume percent (v%) and decreased down to 9.38 μC/cm2 and 13.45 pC/N when it increased up to 0.01 v%. Further increase in Ag concentration resulted in precipitation of Ag phase and significant leakage current that hindered any meaningful measurement of the ferroelectric and piezoelectric properties. 46% increase of the remanent polarization value and 27% increase of the direct piezoelectric coefficient were observed in the film with the 0.005 v% of the Ag nanoparticles added without significant changes to the crystalline structure confirmed by both X-ray diffraction (XRD) and Fourier transform infrared (FT-IR) experiments. The enhancements of both the ferroelectric and piezoelectric properties are attributed to the increase in the effective electric field induced by the reduction in the effective volume of P(VDF-TrFE) that results in more aligned dipoles.
- Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, Daejeon (Korea); California Inst. of Technology, Pasadena, CA (United States). Materials Science.
- Argonne National Lab., Lemont, IL (United States). Materials Science Div.
- Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, Daejeon (Korea); Argonne National Lab., Lemont, IL (United States). Materials Science Div.
- Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, Daejeon (Korea)
- Publication Date:
- Grant/Contract Number:
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- Scientific Reports
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 5; Journal ID: ISSN 2045-2322
- Nature Publishing Group
- Research Org:
- Argonne National Lab. (ANL), Argonne, IL (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Science (SC); National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE; electronic properties and materials; polymers; 72 PHYSICS OF ELEMENTARY PARTICLES AND FIELDS
- OSTI Identifier:
- Alternate Identifier(s):
- OSTI ID: 1356370