Theoretical exploration of various lithium peroxide crystal structures in a Li-air battery
We describe a series of metastable Li2O2 crystal structures involving different orientations and displacements of the O22– peroxy ions based on the known Li2O2 crystal structure. Within the vicinity of the chemical potential ΔG ~ 0.20 eV/Li from the thermodynamic ground state of the Li2O2 crystal structure (i.e., Föppl structure), all of these newly found metastable Li2O2 crystal structures are found to be insulating and high-k materials, and they have a common unique signature of an O22– O-O vibration mode (ω ~ 799–865 cm–1), which is in the range of that commonly observed in Li-air battery experiments, regardless of the random O22– orientations and the symmetry in the crystal lattice. From XRD patterns analysis, the commercially available Li2O2 powder is confirmed to be the thermodynamic ground state Föppl-like structure. However, for Li2O2 compounds that are grown electrochemically under the environment of Li-O2 cells, we found that the XRD patterns alone are not sufficient for structural identification of these metastable Li2O2 crystalline phases due to the poor crystallinity of the sample. In addition, the commonly known Raman signal of O22– vibration mode is also found to be insufficient to validate the possible existence of these newly predicted Li2O2 crystal structures,more »
- Argonne National Lab. (ANL), Argonne, IL (United States). Materials Science Div.
- Argonne National Lab. (ANL), Argonne, IL (United States). Chemical Sciences and Engineering Div.
- Purdue Univ., West Lafayette, IN (United States). School of Chemical Engineering.
- Publication Date:
- Grant/Contract Number:
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- Energies (Basel)
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Name: Energies (Basel); Journal Volume: 8; Journal Issue: 1; Journal ID: ISSN 1996-1073
- MDPI AG
- Research Org:
- Argonne National Lab. (ANL), Argonne, IL (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Science (SC), Basic Energy Sciences (BES) (SC-22)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE; 25 ENERGY STORAGE; Li-air battery; lithium peroxide; crystal structure; DFT calculation; energy storage (including batteries and capacitors); charge transport; materials and chemistry by design; synthesis (novel materials)
- OSTI Identifier:
- Alternate Identifier(s):
- OSTI ID: 1210290