Out-of-plane spin-orientation dependent magnetotransport properties in the anisotropic helimagnet CR 1/3NbS 2 [Spin-Orbit Coupling Induced Anisotropy in the Magnetotransport of the Chiral Helimagnet Cr1=3NbS2]
Understanding the role of spin-orbit coupling (SOC) has been crucial for controlling magnetic anisotropy in magnetic multilayer films. It has been shown that electronic structure can be altered via interface SOC by varying the superlattice structure, resulting in spontaneous magnetization perpendicular or parallel to the plane. In lieu of magnetic thin films, we study the similarly anisotropic helimagnet Cr1/3NbS2 where the spin-polarization direction, controlled by the applied magnetic field, can modify the electronic structure. As a result, the direction of spin polarization can modulate the density of states and in turn affect the in-plane electrical conductivity. In Cr1/3NbS2, we found an enhancement of in-plane conductivity when the spin polarization is out-of-plane as compared to in-plane spin polarization. This is consistent with the increase in density of states near the Fermi energy at the same spin configuration, found from first-principles calculations. We also observe unusual field dependence of the Hall signal in the same temperature range. This is unlikely to originate from the noncollinear spin texture but rather further indicates strong dependence of electronic structure on spin orientation relative to the plane.
- Univ. of Colorado, Boulder, CO (United States). Dept. of Physics
- Univ. of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN (United States). Dept. of Physics and Astronomy; Oak Ridge National Lab. (ORNL), Oak Ridge, TN (United States). Materials Science & Technology Div.
- Univ. of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN (United States). Dept. of Physics and Astronomy and Dept of Materials Science and Technology Div.; Oak Ridge National Lab. (ORNL), Oak Ridge, TN (United States). Materials Science & Technology Div.
- Oak Ridge National Lab. (ORNL), Oak Ridge, TN (United States). Materials Science & Technology Div.
- Publication Date:
- Grant/Contract Number:
- AC05-00OR22725; SC0006888
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- Physical Review. B, Condensed Matter and Materials Physics
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 91; Journal Issue: 18; Journal ID: ISSN 1098-0121
- American Physical Society (APS)
- Research Org:
- Oak Ridge National Lab. (ORNL), Oak Ridge, TN (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 74 ATOMIC AND MOLECULAR PHYSICS; magnetic anisotropy; magnetoresistance
- OSTI Identifier:
- Alternate Identifier(s):
- OSTI ID: 1179708