Neutron-scattering evidence for a periodically modulated superconducting phase in the underdoped cuprate La1.905Ba0.095CuO4
The role of antiferromagnetic spin correlations in high-temperature superconductors remains a matter of debate. We present inelastic neutron-scattering evidence that gapless spin fluctuations coexist with superconductivity in La1.905Ba0.095CuO4. Furthermore, we observe that both the low-energy magnetic spectral weight and the spin incommensurability are enhanced with the onset of superconducting correlations. We propose that the coexistence occurs through intertwining of spatial modulations of the pair wave function and the antiferromagnetic correlations. This proposal is also directly relevant to sufficiently underdoped La2-xSrxCuO4 and YBa2Cu3O6+x.
- Brookhaven National Lab. (BNL), Upton, NY (United States). Condensed Mater Physics and Materials Science Dept.
- National Inst. of Standards and Technology (NIST), Gaithersburg, MD (United States). Center for Neutron Research.
- Oak Ridge National Lab. (ORNL), Oak Ridge, TN (United States). Chemical and Engineering Materials Div.
- Publication Date:
- Report Number(s):
Journal ID: ISSN 0031-9007; PRLTAO; R&D Project: PO010; KC0201060
- Grant/Contract Number:
- AC02-98CH10886; DMR-0944772; SC00112704
- Accepted Manuscript
- Journal Name:
- Physical Review Letters
- Additional Journal Information:
- Journal Volume: 113; Journal Issue: 17; Journal ID: ISSN 0031-9007
- American Physical Society (APS)
- Research Org:
- Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL), Upton, NY (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE Office of Science (SC), Basic Energy Sciences (BES) (SC-22)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 75 CONDENSED MATTER PHYSICS, SUPERCONDUCTIVITY AND SUPERFLUIDITY
- OSTI Identifier:
- Alternate Identifier(s):
- OSTI ID: 1180410; OSTI ID: 1182487