Corrosion costs the oil industry billions of dollars a year, a fact that makes the role of the corrosion engineer an increasingly important one. Attention is paid to how corrosion affects every aspect of exploration and production, from offshore rigs to casing. Also the role of corrosion agents such as drilling and production fluids is reviewed. Methods of control and techniques to monitor corrosion are discussed, along with an explanation of the chemical causes of corrosion. 21 figs., 32 refs.
Brondel, D;  Edwards, R;  Hayman, A;  Hill, D;  Mehta, S;  Semerad, T 
- Sedco Forex, Montrouge (France)
- Schlumberger Well Services, Columbus, OH (United States)
- Etudes et Productions Schlumberger, Clamart (France)
- Schlumberger Dowell, Tulsa, OK (United States)
- Schlumberger Dowell, St. Austell (United Kingdom)
- Mobil Oil Indonesia, Inc., Sumatra (Indonesia)