The scientific goals and the description of a new experiment for stratospheric studies SPIRALE are presented which is a balloon-borne instrument, able to measure in situ several air components (up to 10). Infrared diode laser spectroscopy is applied for monitoring simultaneously atmospheric trace gases at high rate. Its specificity, sensitivity, and wide range of compounds to which it can be applied is described. (R.P.) 5 refs.
Moreau, G; Pirre, M; Robert, C;  Rosier, B; Louvet, Y; Ramaroson, R;  Peyret, C C;  Macleod, Y;  Courtois, D 
- Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS), 45 - Orleans-la-Source (France)
- Office National d`Etudes et de Recherches Aerospatiales, 91 - Palaiseau (France)
- Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, 75 - Paris (France)
- Universite Pierreet Marie Curie, 75 - Paris (France)
- Reims Univ., 51 (France). Faculte des Sciences