You need JavaScript to view this

Mercury in products - a source of transboundary pollutant transport

Abstract

The purpose of this report is to summarize current knowledge on product-related emissions of mercury to air on a European scale, and to estimate the contribution from mercury contained in products, to the total anthropogenic emissions of mercury to air and transboundary transport of mercury in Europe. Products included in this study are batteries, measuring and control instruments, light sources and electrical equipment, all intentionally containing mercury. The main result of this study is that product-related emission of mercury can contribute significantly to total emissions and transboundary transport of mercury in the European region and that measures to limit the use of mercury in products can contribute to an overall decrease of the environmental input of mercury in Europe. It is concluded that: -Mercury contained in products may be emitted to air during consumption, after disposal when incinerated or when volatilized from landfill. Mercury may also be emitted to air during recycling of scrap metal or when accumulated (stored) in society. -The amount of mercury consumed in batteries and in measuring and control instruments had decreased since the late 1980`s. The total use of mercury in light sources and electrical equipment has not changed significantly during the same time period.  More>>
Authors:
Munthe, J; Kindbom, K [1] 
  1. Swedish Environmental Research Inst., Stockholm (Sweden)
Publication Date:
Dec 01, 1997
Product Type:
Technical Report
Report Number:
KEMI-10-97
Reference Number:
SCA: 540120; PA: SWD-98:007097; EDB-98:053787; NTS-98:005137; SN: 98001944094
Resource Relation:
Other Information: PBD: Dec 1997
Subject:
54 ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCES; TRANSFRONTIER POLLUTION; LONG-RANGE TRANSPORT; MERCURY; AIR POLLUTION; EMISSION; CONSUMER PRODUCTS; ELECTRIC BATTERIES; ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT
OSTI ID:
591501
Research Organizations:
National Chemicals Inspectorate, Solna (Sweden)
Country of Origin:
Sweden
Language:
English
Other Identifying Numbers:
Journal ID: ISSN 0284-1185; Other: ON: DE98750761; TRN: SE9807097
Availability:
OSTI as DE98750761
Submitting Site:
SWD
Size:
48 p.
Announcement Date:
Jun 02, 1998

Citation Formats

Munthe, J, and Kindbom, K. Mercury in products - a source of transboundary pollutant transport. Sweden: N. p., 1997. Web.
Munthe, J, & Kindbom, K. Mercury in products - a source of transboundary pollutant transport. Sweden.
Munthe, J, and Kindbom, K. 1997. "Mercury in products - a source of transboundary pollutant transport." Sweden.
@misc{etde_591501,
title = {Mercury in products - a source of transboundary pollutant transport}
author = {Munthe, J, and Kindbom, K}
abstractNote = {The purpose of this report is to summarize current knowledge on product-related emissions of mercury to air on a European scale, and to estimate the contribution from mercury contained in products, to the total anthropogenic emissions of mercury to air and transboundary transport of mercury in Europe. Products included in this study are batteries, measuring and control instruments, light sources and electrical equipment, all intentionally containing mercury. The main result of this study is that product-related emission of mercury can contribute significantly to total emissions and transboundary transport of mercury in the European region and that measures to limit the use of mercury in products can contribute to an overall decrease of the environmental input of mercury in Europe. It is concluded that: -Mercury contained in products may be emitted to air during consumption, after disposal when incinerated or when volatilized from landfill. Mercury may also be emitted to air during recycling of scrap metal or when accumulated (stored) in society. -The amount of mercury consumed in batteries and in measuring and control instruments had decreased since the late 1980`s. The total use of mercury in light sources and electrical equipment has not changed significantly during the same time period. The contribution to total anthropogenic emissions of mercury to air in Europe in the mid 1990`s is estimated to be: for batteries 4%; for measuring and control instruments 3%; for lighting and electrical equipment 11%. -Mercury in products leads to significant wet deposition input in Scandinavia. The relative amount of the total deposition flux attributable to products is estimated to be 10-14% 26 refs, 4 figs, 10 tabs}
place = {Sweden}
year = {1997}
month = {Dec}
}