We have studied collective octupole dynamics including nonaxial components of the octupole mean field, mainly at superdeformed shape in the Hg-Pb region. Both the Strutinsky method combined with cranking and the generator coordinate method within the self-consistent Hartree-Fock basis suggest the existence of collective octupole excitations at the superdeformed minima. GCM calculations point out to the E1 transitions as their most prominent experimental manifestation. We also comment on the nonaxial octupole components influence on octupole dynamics in traditional octupole region of Ra-Th nuclei. (author). 38 refs., 6 figs.
Skalski, J;  Heenen, P;  Bonche, P;  Flocard, H;  Meyer, J 
- Soltan Inst. for Nuclear Studies, Otwock-Swierk (Poland)
- Universite Libre de Bruxelles (Belgium)
- CEA Centre d`Etudes Nucleaires de Saclay, 91 - Gif-sur-Yvette (France). Centre d`Application et de Promotion des Rayonnements Ionisants
- Paris-11 Univ., 91 - Orsay (France)
- Lyon-1 Univ., 69 - Villeurbanne (France)