United States Department of Energy
Energy Link System (E-Link)
DOE STI Management System
INSTRUCTIONS FOR ANNOUNCEMENT OF U.S. DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY (DOE) PUBLICLY AVAILABLE SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH DATASETS
Announcement Notice (AN) 241.6 provides to the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Scientific and Technical Information (OSTI) metadata needed to identify/announce publicly available datasets resulting from work funded by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) or performed in DOE facilities. The information allows OSTI to assign Digital Object Identifiers (DOI) to datasets via the DOE Data ID Service and register them with DataCite. This free, value-added service facilitates visibility, helps ensure long-term preservation, and supports better linkage between DOE's published research results and the underlying data.
Who uses this Notice:
DOE grantees/financial assistance recipients may complete AN 241.6 and submit it with a URL for the publicly available location of the data.
To contact the DOE Data ID Service, use email DOEDataID@osti.gov. For help in completing this Announcement Notice or assitance with E-Link, you may call 865-576-1228 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
AN 241.6 Metadata Details and Requirements
*An asterisk indicates required information.
'Tab' between data fields. The 'enter' key assumes you are attempting to submit the notice before entering all required data.
Part I: STI Product Description
- Animations/Simulations - Animations and simulations resulting from runs of computer models or similar software.
- Figures/Plots - A dataset consisting mainly of data diagrams, graphs and charts, diagrams or schematic drawings.
- Genome/Genetics Data - Information that is numeric or alpha-numeric in nature (such as gene sequences) or that is a specialized mix of text and non-text information conveying results of genetics/genome research
- Interactive Data Map(s) - A non-static interface and the GIS data and/or shape files that generate it.
- Multimedia - An example of a multimedia dataset might be a video of an experiment in progress, where the camera monitors change over a number of hours.
- Numeric Data - Data primarily expressed with numbers; other content is secondary and supporting.
- Software - Software created with DOE funding must be announced to the Energy Software Technology Center (ESTSC) via the AN 241.4, but metadata for a software application or utility may also be submitted through the AN 241.6 in order to obtain and register a DOI for the software.
- Specialized Mix - This "type" may be used to indicate a dataset made up of content that doesn't fit into one of the other "type" categories. The content of a "specialized mix" dataset could have some of everything in this list, for example, but is clearly focused on data and does not have a "format", such as a technical report that is focused on data would.
- Still Images or Photos - A collection of images or photographs that are produced by a scientific instrument or that convey scientific results of experiments. Scientific images that might constitute a data set could be images of cells or molecules that are typically taken with electron microscopes, 3-D structures of proteins or nanomaterials, images captured during an accelerator run, images from astronomy, etc.
- Genome/Genetics Data
- Interactive Data Map(s)
- Numeric Data
- Specialized Mix
- Still Images or Photos
Enter citation information (title, author, identifier) for key publication, technical report, or software that the dataset being submitted directly supports. This is very important if your dataset is being provided to a journal publisher as supplementary material. If you have several items related to this dataset, you may use the Related Identifiers/DOIs below.
Referencing other documents, other datasets, or software applications that relate to the dataset you are submitting allows the user of your information to follow these vital links and to better understand the scope of your research. You may add DOIs to cross-reference these other items. If you do not have a DOI for one of the items you wish to relate to your dataset, please put the citation information for that item in the Related Resource field. Note that you may find assigned DOIs for DOE technical reports in SciTech Connect.
This Related Identifier/DOIs field also allows you, for each DOI you reference, to choose a controlled vocabulary term that "explains" the type of relationship between the DOI you enter and the dataset you are submitting.
Dataset Product Number(s)
DOE Contract/Award Number(s)
Other Identifying Number(s)
Examples of other identifying numbers that submitters may want to include are:
- The number assigned by arXiv.org to an author's posting of a paper (arXiv: 1501.00003)
- The accession number from the submitting site's database (45029 or any format)
- Any identifying number that may have meaning or retrieval utility to a particular segment of the anticipated user population (any format)
Note that this field is not for related identifiers/DOIs, where those DOIs must be accompanied by a controlled vocabulary term that "explains" the relationship between the DOI you enter and the dataset you are submitting. Other identifying numbers are truly "other", in that they do not typically fit more specific identifier fields available for input, i.e. fields such as product/report number, contract number, R&D project IDs, etc. Note also that multiple identifiers may be input here. A semi-colon and a space must be used to separate each identifier from the next one following it.
Originating Research Organization
The name of a Research/Project Collaboration, if applicable, should be entered in this field, not in the author field. Contributor organizations are not authors' affiliations, the originating research organization, nor the funding/sponsor organization. They are, instead, any company, institution, or organization to which the submitter wishes to provide recognition and which clearly does not fit into any of the other organization fields. Examples of possible contributor organizations that a submitter may want to list (in addition to listing a collaboration name) include:
- An external organization that provided significant review of the research product.
- An organization that provided site management but was not directly involved in the research/experiment itself.
- An organization that collected data to provide to the originating research organization.
- A data center or repository that is not listed as the originating research organization.
This is a free text field and can hold multiple organizations names. Each different organization should be separated by a semi-colon followed by a space.
Country of Publication
Part II. Dataset Location/Technical Specifications
URL where dataset is posted for access
Digital Object Identifier (if already assigned)
Dataset File Extension
Software needed to utilize dataset (if applicable)
Part III. Contact Information
This information is needed for administrative use; it will not be displayed in public databases.
Name and Position
Email addresses will not appear in public databases. OSTI will use these addresses to send creator(s)/PI(s) the Digital Object Identifier (DOI) for the dataset announced to OSTI. The primary contact, if different from the Creator/PI, will also receive a copy of the notification.