United States Department of Energy
Energy Link System (E-Link)
DOE STI Management System
Announcement Notice 241.1 Instructions
All *Required Fields must be completed
before a document can be attached in Part II.
Select your site code from the drop-down list.
*STI Product Type
Select one product type. Note that these types will open additional fields on the AN 241.1 because they require additional values be selected.
- Technical/Workshop Report - Identify the type of technical report provided.
- Conference/Event Paper or Presentation/Proceedings - Provide all available conference information (title, location, and dates, as well as sponsoring organization). An agenda alone is not sufficient for announcement. Also provide any associated journal information for this conference, if applicable.
Journal Article - Select one of the following and provide all available journal article information:
- Announcement Citation Only - If providing journal citation data, but full-text article is not being uploaded.
- Final, Peer-Reviewed Accepted Manuscript
- Publisher Accepted Manuscript (CHORUS)
- Published Article (CHORUS)
- Program Document
- S&T Accomplishment Report
*STI Product Title
Provide the title including volume, edition, and similar information.
The preferred method for submitting author names is to use the "Enter Each Author" option. This option is formatted to provide the best search, retrieval, and validation of author names and accompanying information, including an author's ORCID number. See "About the Addition of ORCID Numbers to E-Link" for additional information.
After entering last name, first name, and middle name or initial in the specified blanks, you may also enter the primary author/creator's email address, his or her ORCID number, and his or her affiliation in the remaining three fields of the author section. See About the Addition of ORCID Numbers to E-Link for additional information.
- You may add as many additional authors as needed by clicking the plus (+) button.
- You may change the order of author names by selecting the appropriate "author block" and dragging it.
- If you wish to delete an author's name that you have already entered, click and drag that author entry to the bottom of the list, then click the minus (-) button.
Note that organization names or names of collaborations should not be entered into the author fields. Collaboration names and names of contributing organizations are entered into the Contributor Organizations field.
If you need to use a copy-and-paste method to provide author names, you may use the "Enter All Authors" option. E-Link's parser will then attempt to parse your text string into the designated fields to enable accurate search and retrieval.
If using the "Enter All Authors" option:
- Enter last name, first name, middle initial and additional qualifiers separated by commas. Example: Smith, Richard, T.
- More than one author may be provided; separate multiple entries with a semicolon and a space. Example: Smith, Richard T.; Jones, John W.
- Author affiliations should be inside parentheses. Example: Smith, Richard, T. (Office of Scientific and Technical Information)
- If an email address is entered in the "Enter All Authors" field, it must be preceded with "email:" Example: Jones, John W. email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Office of Scientific and Technical Information). Note that email addresses will not display in public databases; they are for administrative purposes only.
- If an author does not exist, the word "None" should be entered.
The name of a Research/Project Collaboration, if applicable, should be entered in this field, not in the author field. Contributor organizations are not authors' affiliations, the originating research organization, nor the funding/sponsor organization. They are, instead, any company, institution, or organization to which the submitter wishes to provide recognition and which clearly does not fit into any of the other organization fields. Examples of possible contributor organizations that a submitter may want to list (in addition to listing a collaboration name) include:
- An external organization that provided significant review of the research product.
- An organization that provided site management but was not directly involved in the research/experiment itself.
- An organization that collected data to provide to the originating research organization.
- A data center or repository that is not listed as the originating research organization.
This is a free text field and can hold multiple organizations names. Each different organization should be separated by a semi-colon followed by a space.
This is a unique identifier that you create.
Use DOE, an acronym that identifies the awardee, and the final five to seven characters from your contract or grant number.
Example: For award #AC02-01FE11111, with Yale University, the report number would be: DOE-YALE-11111 or DOE-YALE-FE11111. If the contract or grant requires more than one technical report, you may use a suffix to identify them.
1st report: DOE-YALE-11111-1
2nd report: DOE-YALE-11111-2
3rd report: DOE-YALE-11111-3
"None" may also be entered in this field when a report number is not appropriate, i.e. when the submission is a journal article.
*DOE Contract Number(s)
The format should be: two alphabetic characters, two numeric characters, a dash, two-digit year, two alphabetic characters, and a
five digit number; or, two alphabetic characters and seven digits.
Examples: FG11-96EK82252, FC25-96EU50430, AC02-94RS12345, and SC0001234.
R&D Project ID(s)
Enter the unique and permanent Project ID assigned to the project itself by the Operations Office, DOE Program Office, laboratory, or other installation to identify a particular research project. Multiples may be provided; separate multiple entries with a semicolon and a space. Sample formats: P/ORNL-2533; TTP/RL439005
Work Proposal Number(s), Revision Number
Optional information. Any format and multiple entries are accepted.
Work Authorization Number(s), Revision Number
Optional information. Any format and multiple entries are accepted.
Other Identifying Number(s)
Examples of other identifying numbers that submitters may want to include are:
- The number assigned by arXiv.org to an author's posting of a paper (arXiv: 1501.00003)
- The accession number from the submitting site's database (45029 or any format)
- Any identifying number that may have meaning or retrieval utility to a particular segment of the anticipated user population (any format)
Note that these other identifying numbers do not typically fit more specific identifier fields available for input, i.e. fields such as product/report number, contract number, R&D project IDs, etc. Note also that multiple identifiers may be input here. A semi-colon and a space must be used to separate each identifier from the next one following it.
*Originating Research Organization
Provide the name and location of the organization that performed the research or issued the scientific and technical report/product. More than one organization may be provided; separate multiples with a semicolon and a space. Example: Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA
*Publication Issue Date
Enter the publication date in mm/dd/yyyy (example: 01/01/2001) or yyyy (example: 1995). If you use the yyyy format, use the drop-down menu to input additional date information.
Select the name of the additional language(s) in which the information product is written other than English. If language is not provided by the originating organization, the word "English" is the default value.
Country of Origin
Select the country of publication. Default value is "United States".
Select the DOE program office (e.g., Office of Science or SC) providing the funding from the list provided. For projects funded by more than one program office, indicate all sources of the DOE funding in descending order of dollar amount of funding appropriated. Separate multiple program offices with a semicolon and a space. If you do not know the sponsoring DOE program office, select USDOE.
Publisher Name and Location
This is a required field for Book product type or if different than the Originating Research Organization that issued the document for dissemination.
- Availability - Refer requests to [if applicable]. For example: A URL with additional help or contact information about this document. This is a required field if the Publisher is the source of availability.
Select one or more categories from the list provided. Select them in order of relevance to the product. You can review the list of subject category descriptions on the Authorities page.
These are words or phrases that describe the content of this product. More than one keyword may be entered; separate multiple keywords with a semicolon and a space.
Provide a clear, concise, and publicly releasable English language summary of the information content. The length should be no more than 5,000 characters. To fill this field, you can cut and paste from any word processing file.
Related Document Information
Information useful to include in published announcement record which is not suited for any other field on this notice.
*Distribution Limitations Controlled Unclassified Information (CUI)
Recommendations to restrict access to STI products must have a legal basis or be accompanied by written programmatic guidance. For questions concerning current laws and guidance, refer to the STIP website or contact OSTI at (865) 576-1035.
- Unlimited Announcement - The unrestricted, unlimited distribution of the product will be made publicly available. The government assumes no liability for disclosure of such data.
- OpenNet - STI products declassified and made available for public release will be announced on the Department's OpenNet Database in accordance with the Department's Openness Initiative. When records for declassified STI products are submitted to OSTI electronically, an authoritative classification change notice (paper only), in accordance with DOE M 475.1-1B, Identifying Classified Information, must accompany that submission.
Selecting OpenNet as the distribution requires additional information:
Accession Number - For use in indicating additional sources of a document. This number may be used by OpenNet users when requesting a document. The Accession Number is a unique identifier of up to 13 alphanumeric characters only (A-Z, a-z, or 0-9). The transmitting field or program office is responsible for ensuring that the number is unique within its jurisdiction. OSTI will add a two-character prefix to ensure the number's uniqueness across DOE for a maximum size of 15 characters.
Document Location - This should identify additional sources where the public may go to obtain a copy of the document. At a minimum, this entry must contain a point of contact and enough additional information to enable a user to order a document (e.g., address, phone number, fax number, e-mail address, etc.). Multiple location entries may be provided; separate multiple locations with a semicolon and a space. Note: If a standard location will be used (e.g. a public documents reading room), OSTI can provide an availability code which can be entered instead of the location text.
Field Office Acronym - Use the appropriate acronym provided in OpenNet Declassified Information Database Data Input.
Declassification Date - Provide the declassification date for any document that has been declassified and publicly released.
Declassification Status - Required for all documents being entered into OpenNet. Check 'Sanitized' for documents with portions deleted for privacy or security reasons and enter a declassification date if the sanitized document is also a declassified document. Check 'Never classified' for documents that have never been classified and are being made publicly available.
OpenNet Document Categories - For information products which will be included in the OpenNet Database, provide the appropriate two level subject categories based on the list in OpenNet Declassified Information Database Data Input Specifications, revised December 15, 1994. The list of OpenNet document categories is also available at Authorities → OpenNet Subject Categories.
Distribution Limitations - Controlled Unclassified Information (CUI):
- Copyrighted Material w. Restrictions - A copyright restriction on part or all of the contents of the STI product may affect the reproduction and distribution of the product by DOE/OSTI. Any restriction as retained in the award document must be specified.
Official Use Only - Limitations/Controlled Unclassified Information
- Official Use Only - OUO
- Export Controlled Information (e.g. under ITAR/EAR) (FOIA-Exemption 3) - OUO
- Security Sensitive Information (FOIA Exemption 7) - OUO
- Protected Data ? CRADA or OTHER (specify below) ? OUO
When Protected Data is selected, you must also select CRADA or cite the data clause paragraph in your award document which allows trade secret like protection e.g. Energy Policy Act (EPAct), clean coal, electric vehicles, steel initiative, etc. Then, specify the release date which must be no more than five years.
- Patent Pending (FOIA Exemption 3) - OUO
- Limited Rights Data (Proprietary/Trade Secret) (FOIA Exemption 4) - OUO
- Applied Technology (FOIA Exemption 5) - OUO
- Program-Determined Official Use Only ? (enter exemption number below) ? OUO
Provide a reference to specific guidance or attach a copy of the specific guidance.
Specify other criteria that would necessitate limiting access or restrict announcement of this product.
*STI Product Media/Format and Transmission and Location
Ensure the STI product/final technical report does not contain protected Personally Identifiable Information (PII) before you upload the document. Protected PII is defined as an individual's first name or first initial and last name in combination with any one or more of types of information, including, but not limited to, social security number, passport number, credit card numbers, clearances, bank numbers, biometrics, date and place of birth, mother's maiden name, criminal, medical and financial records, educational transcripts, etc
Select one of the medium options provided. Each selection will open additional fields for more information.
If "Electronic Document" is selected, first indicate whether the STI document is either posted online, in which case the AN 241.1 record will link to it, or if it is being transmitted to OSTI via the "Upload File" option.
- For uploaded documents, indicate file format and other requested information. Searchable PDF is the required format for technical reports. Ensure that the document does not contain PII.
- For documents posted at the originating site, provide the unique URL that links directly to the first page of the STI product. This is required information.
If "Audiovisual Material" is selected (typically applicable to conference/event product type), provide the unique URL that links directly to the video, webinar, or audiovisual STI product. This is required information. (Please contact OSTI at (865) 576-6784 if AV material needs to be transmitted to OSTI instead of posted at the submitting site.)
- Indicate the type of file, such as Audio File, Video File with sound, or Video File w/o sound.
- Provide the file format of the audiovisual product. Note that the preferred formats are those which can be content-indexed by OSTI's ScienceCinema product. Check the STIP website for detailed information about these formats and what OSTI can and cannot do with them.
- Provide the length of the video or other audiovisual material as "run time." Example: run time: 01:22:17. This example shows that the run time of the product is one hour, 22 minutes, and 17 seconds. Please use this standard way of reporting run time.
When an announcement record only is submitted, select "Announcement Notice Only."
Location: Digital Object Identifier
OSTI assigns DOIs to technical reports or obtains correct DOIs for journal articles from CrossRef. If you already know the DOI of the product you are submitting and wish to provide it yourself, you may do so here.
This information is required. Provide the Released By (Name), Date (mm/dd/yyyy), Email, and Phone of the releasing official. You must also select the box verifying that Personally Identifiable Information was not detected in the uploaded STI product.
The notice has a time limit of thirty minutes, so if you take more than an hour to fill out the notice, you will receive a timeout message. If you receive a timeout message, you can select the "Back" button on your browser, and resubmit the notice.
When the notice is complete, select the "Submit" button. The system will perform several more validations on the fields that you entered. Any errors will be listed at this time, which you can correct. You will find the errors precede each part of the notice in red text, highlighted in yellow. If the information is complete and correct, you will move to a screen with a summary of your input. The summary screen should be printed for your records.