Iron nitride permanent magnet and technique for forming iron nitride permanent magnet
A permanent magnet may include a Fe16N2 phase constitution. In some examples, the permanent magnet may be formed by a technique that includes straining an iron wire or sheet comprising at least one iron crystal in a direction substantially parallel to a <001> crystal axis of the iron crystal; nitridizing the iron wire or sheet to form a nitridized iron wire or sheet; annealing the nitridized iron wire or sheet to form a Fe16N2 phase constitution in at least a portion of the nitridized iron wire or sheet; and pressing the nitridized iron wires and sheets to form bulk permanent magnet.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Regents of the University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN) ARPA-E
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2012 Aug 17
- Research Org:
- Regents of the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
Other works cited in this record:Magnetic material and production method thereof
patent, November 2001
- Nagatomi, Akira; Kanamaru, Fumikazu; Kikkawa, Shinichi
- US Patent Document 6,319,485
In situ evidence of enhanced transformation kinetics in a medium carbon steel due to a high magnetic field
journal, July 2004
- Ludtka, G. M.; Jaramillo, R. A.; Kisner, R. A.
- Scripta Materialia, Vol. 51, Issue 2, p. 171-174
Projector augmented-wave method
journal, December 1994
- Blöchl, P. E.
- Physical Review B, Vol. 50, Issue 24, p. 17953-17979
Opportunities and challenges for a sustainable energy future
journal, August 2012
- Chu, Steven; Majumdar, Arun
- Nature, Vol. 488, Issue 7411, p. 294-303
Electron-energy-loss spectra and the structural stability of nickel oxide: An LSDA+U study
journal, January 1998
- Dudarev, S. L.; Botton, G. A.; Savrasov, S. Y.
- Physical Review B, Vol. 57, Issue 3, p. 1505-1509
A new challenge: grain boundary engineering for advanced materials by magnetic field application
journal, October 2006
- Watanabe, Tadao; Tsurekawa, Sadahiro; Zhao, Xiang
- Journal of Materials Science, Vol. 41, Issue 23, p. 7747-7759
Self-Consistent Equations Including Exchange and Correlation Effects
journal, November 1965
- Kohn, W.; Sham, L. J.
- Physical Review, Vol. 140, Issue 4A, p. A1133-A1138
Enhanced Fe moment in nitrogen martensite and Fe16N2 (invited)
journal, November 1994
- Wallace, W. E.; Huang, M. Q.
- Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 76, Issue 10, p. 6648-6652
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: