Non-precious metal catalysts prepared from precursors comprising cyanamide and polyaniline
A catalyst for oxygen reduction reaction (ORR) for a fuel cell was prepared by pyrolyzing a mixture of polyaniline, cyanamide, carbon black, and a non-precious metal salt under an inert atmosphere. The pyrolyzed product was treated to remove acid soluble components and then pyrolyzed again. The resulting powder was used to prepare a cathode for a membrane electrode assembly that was used in a fuel cell. When iron(III) chloride was used as the salt, the resulting catalyst was porous with a web-shaped structure. It displayed a maximum power density of 0.79 W/cm at 0.4 V in H.sub.2/O.sub.2 at 1.0 bar back pressure.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Los Alamos National Security, LLC (Los Alamos, NM) LANL
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2013 Sep 30
- Research Org:
- Los Alamos National Lab. (LANL), Los Alamos, NM (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 37 INORGANIC, ORGANIC, PHYSICAL, AND ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY
Other works cited in this record:Efficient access to bamboo-like carbon micro and nanofibres by pyrolysis of zinc cyanamide
journal, August 2001
- Becker, M.; Bender, H.; Jansen, M.
- Journal of Physics and Chemistry of Solids, Vol. 62, Issue 8, p. 1431-1433
Zinc cyanamide, Zn(CN2)
journal, April 2001
- Becker, Michael; Jansen, Martin
- Acta Crystallographica Section C Crystal Structure Communications, Vol. 57, Issue 4, p. 347-348
Effect of sulfur as a growth promoter for CNx nanostructures as PEM and DMFC ORR catalysts
journal, April 2010
- Biddinger, Elizabeth J.; Knapke, Douglas S.; von Deak, Dieter
- Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, Vol. 96, Issue 1-2, p. 72-82
Preparation of carbon alloy catalysts for polymer electrolyte fuel cells from nitrogen-containing rigid-rod polymers
journal, September 2010
- Chokai, Masayuki; Taniguchi, Masataka; Moriya, Shogo
- Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 195, Issue 18, p. 5947-5951
Nitrogen-Doped Carbon Nanotube Arrays with High Electrocatalytic Activity for Oxygen Reduction
journal, February 2009
- Gong, K.; Du, F.; Xia, Z.
- Science, Vol. 323, Issue 5915, p. 760-764
Synthesis of g-C3N4 Nanoparticles in Mesoporous Silica Host Matrices
journal, July 2005
- Groenewolt, M.; Antonietti, M.
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 17, Issue 14, p. 1789-1792
pH-effect on oxygen reduction activity of Fe-based electro-catalysts
journal, October 2009
- Meng, Hui; Jaouen, Frédéric; Proietti, Eric
- Electrochemistry Communications, Vol. 11, Issue 10, p. 1986-1989
Nitrogen-doped carbon nanotubes as a cathode catalyst for the oxygen reduction reaction in alkaline medium
journal, March 2010
- Nagaiah, Tharamani C.; Kundu, Shankhamala; Bron, Michael
- Electrochemistry Communications, Vol. 12, Issue 3, p. 338-341
Evolution of nitrogen functionalities in carbonaceous materials during pyrolysis
journal, January 1995
- Pels, J. R.; Kapteijn, F.; Moulijn, J. A.
- Carbon, Vol. 33, Issue 11, p. 1641-1653
Oxygen electrocatalysis in alkaline electrolyte: Pt(hkl), Au(hkl) and the effect of Pd-modification
journal, August 2002
- Schmidt, T. J.; Stamenkovic, V.; Arenz, M.
- Electrochimica Acta, Vol. 47, Issue 22-23, p. 3765-3776
On the mechanism of possible influence of heteroatoms of nitrogen, boron and phosphorus in a carbon matrix on the catalytic activity of carbons in electron transfer reactions
journal, January 2000
- Strelko, V. V.; Kuts, V. S.; Thrower, P. A.
- Carbon, Vol. 38, Issue 10, p. 1499-1503
Oxygen reduction catalysts for polymer electrolyte fuel cells from the pyrolysis of FeII acetate adsorbed on 3,4,9,10-perylenetetracarboxylic dianhydride
journal, January 1999
- Faubert, G.; Côté, R.; Dodelet, J. P.
- Electrochimica Acta, Vol. 44, Issue 15, p. 2589-2603
Activity benchmarks and requirements for Pt, Pt-alloy, and non-Pt oxygen reduction catalysts for PEMFCs
journal, March 2005
- Gasteiger, Hubert A.; Kocha, Shyam S.; Sompalli, Bhaskar
- Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, Vol. 56, Issue 1-2, p. 9-35
Recent advances in non-precious metal catalysis for oxygen-reduction reaction in polymer electrolyte fuelcells
journal, January 2011
- Jaouen, Frédéric; Proietti, Eric; Lefèvre, Michel
- Energy Environ. Sci., Vol. 4, Issue 1, p. 114-130
Development of high performance carbon composite catalyst for oxygen reduction reaction in PEM Proton Exchange Membrane fuel cells
journal, August 2008
- Nallathambi, Vijayadurga; Lee, Jong-Won; Kumaraguru, Swaminatha P.
- Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 183, Issue 1, p. 34-42
Non-precious metal oxygen reduction catalyst for PEM fuel cells based on nitroaniline precursor
journal, April 2008
- Wood, Thomas E.; Tan, Zhongshu; Schmoeckel, Alison K.
- Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 178, Issue 2, p. 510-516
High-Performance Electrocatalysts for Oxygen Reduction Derived from Polyaniline, Iron, and Cobalt
journal, April 2011
- Wu, G.; More, K. L.; Johnston, C. M.
- Science, Vol. 332, Issue 6028, p. 443-447
Nitrogen-Doped Ordered Mesoporous Graphitic Arrays with High Electrocatalytic Activity for Oxygen Reduction
journal, March 2010
- Liu, Ruili; Wu, Dongqing; Feng, Xinliang
- Angewandte Chemie International Edition, Vol. 49, Issue 14, p. 2565-2569
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: