High-symmetry organic scintillator systems
An ionizing radiation detector or scintillator system includes a scintillating material comprising an organic crystalline compound selected to generate photons in response to the passage of ionizing radiation. The organic compound has a crystalline symmetry of higher order than monoclinic, for example an orthorhombic, trigonal, tetragonal, hexagonal, or cubic symmetry. A photodetector is optically coupled to the scintillating material, and configured to generate electronic signals having pulse shapes based on the photons generated in the scintillating material. A discriminator is coupled to the photon detector, and configured to discriminate between neutrons and gamma rays in the ionizing radiation based on the pulse shapes of the output signals.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- National Technology & Engineering Solutions of Sandia, LLC (Albuquerque, NM) SNL-A
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2017 May 10
- Research Org:
- National Technology & Engineering Solutions of Sandia, LLC, Albuquerque, NM (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- USDOE National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA)
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE; 46 INSTRUMENTATION RELATED TO NUCLEAR SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY; 37 INORGANIC, ORGANIC, PHYSICAL, AND ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY
Other works cited in this record:Scintillator material
patent, July 1992
- Anderson, David F.; Kross, Brian J.
- US Patent Document 5,134,293
Spectrally resolved detection of ionizing radiation
patent, January 2002
- Francke, Tom
- US Patent Document 6,337,482
Scintillation materials with reduced afterglow and method of preparation
patent, February 2007
- Brecher, Charles; Nagarkar, Vivek
- US Patent Document 7,180,068
Light emitting device and electronic device
patent, December 2008
- Endo, Masami
- US Patent Document 7,462,897
Light emitting device
patent, June 2010
- Yamazaki, Hiroko; Tokuda, Atsushi; Tsutsui, Tetsuo
- US Patent Document 7,737,437
Organic light emitting diode display device
patent, September 2012
- Pieh, Sung Hoon
- US Patent Document 8,263,971
ORGANIC THIN FILMS FOR INFRARED DETECTION
patent-application, March 2011
- Forrest, Stephen; Thompson, Mark E.; Bailey-Salzman, Rhonda
- US Patent Application 12/922769; 20110049367
DOPED LUMINESCENT MATERIALS AND PARTICLE DISCRIMINATION USING SAME
patent-application, May 2011
- Doty, F. Patrick; Allendorf, Mark D.; Feng, Patrick L.
- US Patent Application 12/943708; 20110108738
Control of stilbene conformation and fluorescence in self-assembled capsules
journal, January 2009
- Ams, Mark; Ajami, Dariush; Craig, Stephen L.
- Beilstein Journal of Organic Chemistry, Vol. 5, Article No. 79
Studies on microhardness and slip systems of Bridgman grown trans-stilbene crystals
journal, October 2001
- Arulchakkaravarthi, A.; Santhanaraghavan, P.; Ramasamy, P.
- Materials Letters, Vol. 51, Issue 2, p. 151-155
A scintillation counter with neutron and gamma-ray discriminators
journal, April 1959
- Brooks, F. D.
- Nuclear Instruments and Methods, Vol. 4, Issue 3, p. 151-163
Development of organic scintillators
journal, June 1979
- Brooks, F. D.
- Nuclear Instruments and Methods, Vol. 162, Issue 1-3, p. 477-505
New Effective Organic Scintillators for Fast Neutron and Short-Range Radiation Detection
journal, December 2007
- Budakovsky, Sergey V.; Galunov, Nikolai Z.; Karavaeva, Natalya L.
- IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science, Vol. 54, Issue 6, p. 2734-2740
Efficient plastic scintillators utilizing phosphorescent dopants
journal, January 2007
- Campbell, I. H.; Crone, B. K.
- Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 90, Issue 1, Article No. 012117
High-performance polymer light-emitting diodes doped with a red phosphorescent iridium complex
journal, April 2002
- Chen, Fang-Chung; Yang, Yang; Thompson, Mark E.
- Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 80, Issue 13, p. 2308-2310
Calibration and performance of a neutron-time-of-flight detector
journal, December 1964
- Czirr, J. B.; Nygren, D. R.; Zafiratos, C. D.
- Nuclear Instruments and Methods, Vol. 31, Issue 2, p. 226-232
Scintillating Metal-Organic Frameworks: A New Class of Radiation Detection Materials
journal, January 2009
- Doty, F. P.; Bauer, C. A.; Skulan, A. J.
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 21, Issue 1, p. 95-101
Ultraviolet Spectra of Stilbene, p‐Monohalogen Stilbenes, and Azobenzene and the trans to cis Photoisomerization Process
journal, May 1962
- Dyck, Rudolph H.; McClure, Donald S.
- The Journal of Chemical Physics, Vol. 36, Issue 9, p. 2326-2345
Systematic Design of Pore Size and Functionality in Isoreticular MOFs and Their Application in Methane Storage
journal, January 2002
- Eddaoudi, Mohamed; Kim, Jaheon; Rosi, Nathaniel
- Science, Vol. 295, Issue 5554, p. 469-472
Pulse-Shape Discrimination in High-Symmetry Organic Scintillators
journal, August 2013
- Feng, Patrick L.; Foster, Michael E.
- IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science, Vol. 60, Issue 4, p. 3142-3149
Spectral- and Pulse-Shape Discrimination in Triplet-Harvesting Plastic Scintillators
journal, December 2012
- Feng, P. L.; Villone, J.; Hattar, K.
- IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science, Vol. 59, Issue 6, p. 3312-3319
New Organic Crystals for Pulse Shape Discrimination
journal, June 2009
- Hull, Giulia; Zaitseva, Natalia P.; Cherepy, Nerine J.
- IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science, Vol. 56, Issue 3, p. 899-903
Charge carrier transport in organic semiconductors
journal, March 2003
- Karl, N.
- Synthetic Metals, Vol. 133-134, p. 649-657
Fast neutron spectrometry with organic scintillators applied to magnetic fusion experiments
journal, January 2002
- Kaschuck, Yu.A.; Esposito, B.; Trykov, L.A.
- Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section A: Accelerators, Spectrometers, Detectors and Associated Equipment, Vol. 476, Issue 1-2, p. 511-515
A Mesoporous Metal–Organic Framework
journal, December 2009
- Klein, Nicole; Senkovska, Irena; Gedrich, Kristina
- Angewandte Chemie International Edition, Vol. 48, Issue 52, p. 9954-9957
Low-Afterglow, High-Refractive-Index Liquid Scintillators for Fast-Neutron Spectrometry and Imaging Applications
journal, June 2009
- Lauck, Ronald; Brandis, Michal; Bromberger, Benjamin
- IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science, Vol. 56, Issue 3, p. 989-993
The luminescence decay of organic scintillators
journal, June 1968
- Laustriat, G.
- Molecular Crystals, Vol. 4, Issue 1-4, p. 127-145
Reticular Chemistry: Occurrence and Taxonomy of Nets and Grammar for the Design of Frameworks
journal, March 2005
- Ockwig, Nathan W.; Delgado-Friedrichs, Olaf; O'Keeffe, Michael
- Accounts of Chemical Research, Vol. 38, Issue 3, p. 176-182
Charge transport in organic crystals: Theory and modelling
journal, November 2010
- Ortmann, Frank; Bechstedt, Friedhelm; Hannewald, Karsten
- physica status solidi (b), Vol. 248, Issue 3, p. 511-525
Creep of metal-type organic compounds—I. Pure polycrystals and particle-hardened systems
journal, December 1992
- Prakash, O.; Jones, D. R. H.
- Acta Metallurgica et Materialia, Vol. 40, Issue 12, p. 3443-3449
Isotropic transport in an oligothiophene derivative for single-crystal field-effect transistor applications
journal, May 2009
- Reese, Colin; Roberts, Mark E.; Parkin, Sean R.
- Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 94, Issue 20, Article No. 202101
A new isoreticular class of metal-organic-frameworks with the MIL-88 topology
journal, January 2006
- Surblé, Suzy; Serre, Christian; Mellot-Draznieks, Caroline
- Chemical Communications, Vol. 0, Issue 3, p. 284-286
The Evolution of Organometallic Complexes in Organic Light-Emitting Devices
journal, September 2007
- Thompson, Mark
- MRS Bulletin, Vol. 32, Issue 9, p. 694-701
Sub-Nanosecond Plastic Scintillator Time Response Studies Using Laser Produced X-Ray Pulsed Excitation
journal, February 1977
- Tirsell, K. G.; Tripp, G. R.; Lent, E. M.
- IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science, Vol. 24, Issue 1, p. 250-254
Energy transfer between Ir(ppy)3 molecules in neat film and concentration quenching of phosphorescence
journal, May 2008
- Tsuboi, Taiju; Aljaroudi, Nadeer
- Optical Materials, Vol. 30, Issue 9, p. 1375-1381
NWChem: A comprehensive and scalable open-source solution for large scale molecular simulations
journal, September 2010
- Valiev, M.; Bylaska, E. J.; Govind, N.
- Computer Physics Communications, Vol. 181, Issue 9, p. 1477-1489
The effect of pulse pile-up on discrimination between neutrons and gamma rays
journal, July 1980
- Whittlestone, Stewart
- Nuclear Instruments and Methods, Vol. 173, Issue 2, p. 347-350
Reticular synthesis and the design of new materials
journal, June 2003
- Yaghi, Omar M.; O'Keeffe, Michael; Ockwig, Nathan W.
- Nature, Vol. 423, Issue 6941, p. 705-714
Selective Guest Binding by Tailored Channels in a 3-D Porous Zinc(II)−Benzenetricarboxylate Network
journal, March 1997
- Yaghi, O. M.; Davis, Charles E.; Li, Guangming
- Journal of the American Chemical Society, Vol. 119, Issue 12, p. 2861-2868
Picosecond fluorescence spectroscopy on excimer formation and excitation energy transfer of pyrene in Langmuir-Blodgett monolayer films
journal, June 1987
- Yamazaki, Iwao.; Tamai, Naoto.; Yamazaki, Tomoko.
- The Journal of Physical Chemistry, Vol. 91, Issue 13, p. 3572-3577
A new hybrid exchange–correlation functional using the Coulomb-attenuating method (CAM-B3LYP)
journal, July 2004
- Yanai, Takeshi; Tew, David P.; Handy, Nicholas C.
- Chemical Physics Letters, Vol. 393, Issue 1-3, p. 51-57
Triplet Excitation Energy Transfer with Constrained Density Functional Theory
journal, December 2010
- Yeganeh, Sina; Voorhis, Troy Van
- The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, Vol. 114, Issue 48, p. 20756-20763
Application of solution techniques for rapid growth of organic crystals
journal, January 2011
- Zaitseva, Natalia; Carman, Leslie; Glenn, Andrew
- Journal of Crystal Growth, Vol. 314, Issue 1, p. 163-170
Plastic scintillators with efficient neutron/gamma pulse shape discrimination
journal, March 2012
- Zaitseva, Natalia; Rupert, Benjamin L.; PaweŁczak, Iwona
- Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section A: Accelerators, Spectrometers, Detectors and Associated Equipment, Vol. 668, p. 88-93
Pulse Shape Discrimination in Impure and Mixed Single-Crystal Organic Scintillators
journal, December 2011
- Zaitseva, Natalia; Glenn, Andrew; Carman, Leslie
- IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science, Vol. 58, Issue 6, p. 3411-3420
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: