Method of producing catalytic material for fabricating nanostructures
Methods of fabricating nano-catalysts are described. In some embodiments the nano-catalyst is formed from a powder-based substrate material and is some embodiments the nano-catalyst is formed from a solid-based substrate material. In some embodiments the substrate material may include metal, ceramic, or silicon or another metalloid. The nano-catalysts typically have metal nanoparticles disposed adjacent the surface of the substrate material. The methods typically include functionalizing the surface of the substrate material with a chelating agent, such as a chemical having dissociated carboxyl functional groups (--COO), that provides an enhanced affinity for metal ions. The functionalized substrate surface may then be exposed to a chemical solution that contains metal ions. The metal ions are then bound to the substrate material and may then be reduced, such as by a stream of gas that includes hydrogen, to form metal nanoparticles adjacent the surface of the substrate.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Consolidated Nuclear Security, LLC (Oak Ridge, TN) Y-12
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- AC05-00OR22800; AC05-00OR22725
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2013 Jan 14
- Research Org:
- Oak Ridge Y-12 Plant (Y-12), Oak Ridge, TN (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE; 37 INORGANIC, ORGANIC, PHYSICAL, AND ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY; 77 NANOSCIENCE AND NANOTECHNOLOGY
Other works cited in this record:An Approach to Obtaining Homogeneously Dispersed Carbon Nanotubes in Al Powders for Preparing Reinforced Al-Matrix Composites
journal, April 2007
- He, C.; Zhao, N.; Shi, C.
- Advanced Materials, Vol. 19, Issue 8, p. 1128-1132
Laser-deposited carbon nanotube reinforced nickel matrix composites
journal, September 2008
- Hwang, J. Y.; Neira, A.; Scharf, T. W.
- Scripta Materialia, Vol. 59, Issue 5, p. 487-490
Tribological application of carbon nanotubes in a metal-based composite coating and composites
journal, February 2003
- Chen, W. X.; Tu, J. P.; Wang, L. Y.
- Carbon, Vol. 41, Issue 2, p. 215-222
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: