Alkaline and non-aqueous proton-conducting pouch-cell batteries
Provided are sealed pouch-cell batteries that are alkaline batteries or non-aqueous proton-conducing batteries. A pouch cell includes a flexible housing such as is used for pouch cell construction where the housing is in the form of a pouch, a cathode comprising a cathode active material suitable for use in an alkaline battery, an anode comprising an anode active material suitable for use in an alkaline battery, an electrolyte that is optionally an alkaline or proton-conducting electrolyte, and wherein the pouch does not include or require a safety vent or other gas absorbing or releasing system as the anode active material and the cathode active material do not increase the internal atmospheric pressure any more than 2 psig during cycling. The batteries provided function contrary to the art recognized belief that such battery systems were impossible due to unacceptable gas production during cycling.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Ovonic Battery Company, Inc. (Rochester Hills, MI) ARPA-E
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2015 Feb 06
- Research Org:
- Ovonic Battery Company, Inc., Rochester Hills, MI (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE; 25 ENERGY STORAGE
Other works cited in this record:Investigations on synthesis, characterization and hydrogenation behaviour of the spin- and thermal-melted versions of LaNi5−xSix (x=0.1, 0.3, 0.5) hydrogen storage materials
journal, March 1998
- Srivastava, Sumita; Srivastava, O. N.
- Journal of Alloys and Compounds, Vol. 267, Issue 1-2, p. 240-245
Studies of off-stoichiometric AB2 metal hydride alloy: Part 1. Structural characteristics
journal, August 2011
- Young, K.; Ouchi, T.; Yang, J.
- International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Vol. 36, Issue 17, p. 11137-11145
Studies of off-stoichiometric AB2 metal hydride alloy: Part 2. Hydrogen storage and electrochemical properties
journal, August 2011
- Young, K.; Nei, J.; Huang, B.
- International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Vol. 36, Issue 17, p. 11146-11154
Gas atomization of Cu-modified AB5 metal hydride alloys
journal, April 2011
- Young, K.; Ouchi, T.; Banik, A.
- Journal of Alloys and Compounds, Vol. 509, Issue 14, p. 4896-4904
Studies on the hydrogen storage characteristic of La1−xCex(NiCoMnAlCuSiZr)5.7 with a B2 secondary phase
journal, February 2014
- Young, K.; Chao, B.; Huang, B.
- Journal of Alloys and Compounds, Vol. 585, p. 760-770
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: