Staged Z-pinch for the production of high-flux neutrons and net energy
A fusible target is embedded in a high Z liner, ohmically heated and then shock wave heated by implosion of an enveloping high Z liner. The target is adiabatically heated by compression, fusibly ignited and charged-particle heated as it is being ignited. A shock front forms as the liner implodes which shock front detaches from the more slowly moving liner, collides with the outer surface of the target, accelerates inward, rapidly heating the target, adiabatically compressing the target and liner and amplifying the current to converge the liner mass toward a central axis thereby compressing the target to a fusion condition when it begins to ignite and produce charged particles. The charged particles are trapped in a large magnetic field surrounding the target. The energy of the charged particles is deposited into the target to further heat the target to produce an energy gain.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- The Regents of the University of California (Oakland, CA) CHO
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- FG02-06ER54877; FG03-93ER54220
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2010 Jul 30
- Research Org:
- The Regents of the University of California, Oakland, CA (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 70 PLASMA PHYSICS AND FUSION TECHNOLOGY
Other works cited in this record:Symmetric Inertial-Confinement-Fusion-Capsule Implosions in a Double--Pinch-Driven Hohlraum
journal, November 2002
- Bennett, G. R.; Cuneo, M. E.; Vesey, R. A.
- Physical Review Letters, Vol. 89, Issue 24, Article No. 245002
journal, January 1995
- Rahman, H. U.; Wessel, F. J.; Rostoker, N.
- Physical Review Letters, Vol. 74, Issue 5, p. 714-717
Hot Dense Capsule-Implosion Cores Produced by -Pinch Dynamic Hohlraum Radiation
journal, February 2004
- Bailey, J. E.; Chandler, G. A.; Slutz, S. A.
- Physical Review Letters, Vol. 92, Issue 8, Article No. 085002
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: