Method for delivery of small molecules and proteins across the cell wall of algae using molecular transporters
The introduction of tools to study, control or expand the inner-workings of algae has been slow to develop. Provided are embodiments of a molecular method based on guanidinium-rich molecular transporters (GR-MoTrs) for bringing molecular cargos into algal cells. The methods of the disclosure have been shown to work in wild-type algae that have an intact cell wall. Developed using Chlamydomonas reinhardtii, this method is also successful with less studied algae, including Neochloris oleoabundans and Scenedesmus dimorphus, thus providing a new and versatile tool for algal research and modification. The method of delivering a cargo compound to an algal cell comprises contacting an algal cell with a guanidinium-rich delivery vehicle comprising a guanidinium-rich molecular transporter (GR-MoTr) linked to a cargo compound desired to be delivered to the algal cell, whereby the guanidinium-rich molecular transporter can traverse the algal cell wall, thereby delivering the cargo compound to the algal cell.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- The Regents of the University of California (Oakland, CA); The Board of Trustees of the Leland Stanford Junior University (Palo Alto, CA) LBNL
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2013 Mar 12
- Research Org:
- Lawrence Berkeley National Lab. (LBNL), Berkeley, CA (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 59 BASIC BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES
Other works cited in this record:Chemical composition of the cell wall in some green algae species
journal, December 1993
- Abo-Shady, A. M.; Mohamed, Y. A.; Lasheen, T.
- Biologia Plantarum, Vol. 35, Issue 4, p. 629-632
Influence of the Cell Wall on Intracellular Delivery to Algal Cells by Electroporation and Sonication
journal, November 2007
- Azencott, Harold R.; Peter, Gary F.; Prausnitz, Mark R.
- Ultrasound in Medicine & Biology, Vol. 33, Issue 11, p. 1805-1817
Distinct modulatory effects of bryostatin 1 and staurosporine on the biosynthesis and expression of the HIV receptor protein (CD4) by T cells.
journal, February 1991
- Boto, W. M.; Brown, L.; Chrest, J.
- Cell Regulation, Vol. 2, Issue 2, p. 95-103
Toxic phorbol esters from Chinese tallow stimulate protein kinase C
journal, January 1987
- Brooks, G.; Morrice, N. A.; Ellis, C.
- Toxicon, Vol. 25, Issue 11, p. 1229-1233
Studies on batch and continuous cultures of Botryococcus braunii: Hydrocarbon production in relation to physiological state, cell ultrastructure, and phosphate nutrition
journal, March 1985
- Casadevall, E.; Dif, D.; Largeau, C.
- Biotechnology and Bioengineering, Vol. 27, Issue 3, p. 286-295
Comparative study of zooid and non-zooid forming strains ofScenedesmus obliquus. Physiology and cytomorphology
journal, July 2006
- Cepák, V.; Přibyl, P.; Kvíderová, J.
- Folia Microbiologica, Vol. 51, Issue 4, p. 349-356
Cellular Internalization of Fluorescent Proteins via Arginine-rich Intracellular Delivery Peptide in Plant Cells
journal, March 2005
- Chang, Microsugar; Chou, Jyh-Ching; Lee, Han-Jung
- Plant and Cell Physiology, Vol. 46, Issue 3, p. 482-488
Production and harvesting of microalgae for wastewater treatment, biofuels, and bioproducts
journal, November 2011
- Christenson, Logan; Sims, Ronald
- Biotechnology Advances, Vol. 29, Issue 6, p. 686-702
Translocation of cell-penetrating peptides and delivery of their cargoes in triticale microspores
journal, March 2009
- Chugh, Archana; Amundsen, Eric; Eudes, François
- Plant Cell Reports, Vol. 28, Issue 5, p. 801-810
Update: Peptide Motifs for Insertion of Radiolabeled Biomolecules into Cells and Routing to the Nucleus for Cancer Imaging or Radiotherapeutic Applications
journal, February 2008
- Costantini, Danny L.; Hu, Meiduo; Reilly, Raymond M.
- Cancer Biotherapy & Radiopharmaceuticals, Vol. 23, Issue 1, p. 3-24
A review of the biochemistry of heavy metal biosorption by brown algae
journal, November 2003
- Davis, Thomas A.; Volesky, Bohumil; Mucci, Alfonso
- Water Research, Vol. 37, Issue 18, p. 4311-4330
Structural polymorphism of non-covalent peptide-based delivery systems: Highway to cellular uptake
journal, December 2010
- Deshayes, Sébastien; Konate, Karidia; Aldrian, Gudrun
- Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Biomembranes, Vol. 1798, Issue 12, p. 2304-2314
Overcoming multidrug resistance of small-molecule therapeutics through conjugation with releasable octaarginine transporters
journal, August 2008
- Dubikovskaya, E. A.; Thorne, S. H.; Pillow, T. H.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 105, Issue 34, p. 12128-12133
Passage of Trojan Peptoids into Plant Cells
journal, October 2009
- Eggenberger, Kai; Birtalan, Esther; Schröder, Tina
- ChemBioChem, Vol. 10, Issue 15, p. 2504-2512
Activation of T-cells by bryostatins: Induction of the IL-2 receptor gene transcription and down-modulation of surface receptors
journal, January 1990
- Esa, Ahmed H.; Boto, William O.; Adler, William H.
- International Journal of Immunopharmacology, Vol. 12, Issue 5, p. 481-490
Imaging of light emission from the expression of luciferases in living cells and organisms: a review
journal, January 2002
- Greer, Lee F.; Szalay, Aladar A.
- Luminescence, Vol. 17, Issue 1, p. 43-74
New Approaches to the Total Synthesis of the Bryostatin Antitumor Macrolides
journal, April 2010
- Hale, Karl J.; Manaviazar, Soraya
- Chemistry - An Asian Journal, Vol. 5, Issue 4, p. 704-754
Mechanisms of Flagellar Excision: I. The Role of Intracellular Acidification
journal, September 1993
- Hartzell, Laura B.; Hartzell, H. Criss; Quarmby, Lynne M.
- Experimental Cell Research, Vol. 208, Issue 1, p. 148-153
High-efficiency homologous recombination in the oil-producing alga Nannochloropsis sp.
journal, November 2011
- Kilian, O.; Benemann, C. S. E.; Niyogi, K. K.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 108, Issue 52, p. 21265-21269
Arginine-Based Molecular Transporters: The Synthesis and Chemical Evaluation of Releasable Taxol-Transporter Conjugates
journal, September 2003
- Kirschberg, Thorsten A.; VanDeusen, Chris L.; Rothbard, Jonathan B.
- Organic Letters, Vol. 5, Issue 19, p. 3459-3462
The green algal eyespot apparatus: a primordial visual system and more?
journal, December 2008
- Kreimer, Georg
- Current Genetics, Vol. 55, Issue 1, p. 19-43
Cell Membrane Diversity in Noncovalent Protein Transduction
journal, February 2008
- Liu, Betty Revon; Chou, Jyh-Ching; Lee, Han-Jung
- Journal of Membrane Biology, Vol. 222, Issue 1, p. 1-15
Quantitative High-Throughput Assays for Flagella-Based Motility in Chlamydomonas Using Plate-Well Image Analysis and Transmission Correlation Spectroscopy
journal, February 2009
- Marshall, W. F.
- Journal of Biomolecular Screening, Vol. 14, Issue 2, p. 133-141
Chlamydomonas reinhardtii chloroplasts as protein factories
journal, April 2007
- Mayfield, Stephen P.; Manuell, Andrea L.; Chen, Stephen
- Current Opinion in Biotechnology, Vol. 18, Issue 2, p. 126-133
The Chlamydomonas Genome Reveals the Evolution of Key Animal and Plant Functions
journal, October 2007
- Merchant, S. S.; Prochnik, S. E.; Vallon, O.
- Science, Vol. 318, Issue 5848, p. 245-250
Marine natural products as inhibitors of hypoxic signaling in tumors
journal, January 2009
- Nagle, Dale G.; Zhou, Yu-Dong
- Phytochemistry Reviews, Vol. 8, Issue 2, p. 415-429
Wastewater treatment high rate algal ponds for biofuel production
journal, January 2011
- Park, J. B. K.; Craggs, R. J.; Shilton, A. N.
- Bioresource Technology, Vol. 102, Issue 1, p. 35-42
Isolation and structure of bryostatin
journal, December 1982
- Pettit, George R.; Herald, Cherry L.; Doubek, Dennis L.
- Journal of the American Chemical Society, Vol. 104, Issue 24, p. 6846-6848
Gö 6976, a selective inhibitor of protein kinase C, is a potent antagonist of human immunodeficiency virus 1 induction from latent/low-level-producing reservoir cells in vitro.
journal, May 1993
- Qatsha, K. A.; Rudolph, C.; Marme, D.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 90, Issue 10, p. 4674-4678
Releasable Luciferin−Transporter Conjugates: Tools for the Real-Time Analysis of Cellular Uptake and Release
journal, May 2006
- Jones, Lisa R.; Goun, Elena A.; Shinde, Rajesh
- Journal of the American Chemical Society, Vol. 128, Issue 20, p. 6526-6527
Genetic Engineering of Algae for Enhanced Biofuel Production
journal, February 2010
- Radakovits, R.; Jinkerson, R. E.; Darzins, A.
- Eukaryotic Cell, Vol. 9, Issue 4, p. 486-501
In Vivo Protein Transduction: Delivery of a Biologically Active Protein into the Mouse
journal, September 1999
- Schwarze, Steven R.; Ho, Alan; Vocero-Akbani, Adamina
- Science, Vol. 285, Issue 5433, p. 1569-1572
Gene Transfer via Reversible Plasmid Condensation with Cysteine-Flanked, Internally Spaced Arginine-Rich Peptides
journal, September 2003
- Siprashvili, Zurab; Scholl, Florence A.; Oliver, Steven F.
- Human Gene Therapy, Vol. 14, Issue 13, p. 1225-1233
Spin-labeled phorbol esters and their interactions with cellular membranes. III. Skin irritant and tumor-promoting activities of spin-labeled phorbol-12,13-diesters and relationships to their particular structures
journal, January 1988
- Sorg, B.; Schmidt, R.; Pečar, S.
- Carcinogenesis, Vol. 9, Issue 10, p. 1829-1834
Micro-algae come of age as a platform for recombinant protein production
journal, June 2010
- Specht, Elizabeth; Miyake-Stoner, Shigeki; Mayfield, Stephen
- Biotechnology Letters, Vol. 32, Issue 10, p. 1373-1383
Cell-penetrating peptides as delivery vehicles for biology and medicine
journal, January 2008
- Stewart, Kelly M.; Horton, Kristin L.; Kelley, Shana O.
- Organic & Biomolecular Chemistry, Vol. 6, Issue 13, p. 2242-2255
Tat peptide-mediated intracellular delivery of pharmaceutical nanocarriers
journal, March 2008
- Torchilin, Vladimir P.
- Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, Vol. 60, Issue 4-5, p. 548-558
Arginine containing peptides as delivery vectors
journal, February 2003
- Tung, Ching-Hsuan; Weissleder, Ralph
- Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, Vol. 55, Issue 2, p. 281-294
Cationic oligopeptide-mediated delivery of dsRNA for post-transcriptional gene silencing in plant cells
journal, April 2004
- Unnamalai, Narayanan; Kang, Bong Gu; Lee, Woo Sung
- FEBS Letters, Vol. 566, Issue 1-3, p. 307-310
journal, May 2001
- Vippagunta, Sudha R.; Brittain, Harry G.; Grant, David J. W.
- Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, Vol. 48, Issue 1, p. 3-26
Reductively activated disulfide prodrugs of paclitaxel
journal, December 2002
- Vrudhula, Vivekananda M.; MacMaster, John F.; Li, Zhengong
- Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters, Vol. 12, Issue 24, p. 3591-3594
Design, Synthesis, and Biological Evaluation of a Potent, PKC Selective, B-Ring Analog of Bryostatin
journal, April 2006
- Wender, Paul A.; Verma, Vishal A.
- Organic Letters, Vol. 8, Issue 9, p. 1893-1896
Beyond cell penetrating peptides: designed molecular transporters
journal, March 2012
- Wender, Paul A.; Cooley, Christina B.; Geihe, Erika I.
- Drug Discovery Today: Technologies, Vol. 9, Issue 1, p. e49-e55
Taxol-oligoarginine conjugates overcome drug resistance in-vitro in human ovarian carcinoma
journal, July 2012
- Wender, Paul A.; Galliher, Wesley C.; Bhat, Neelima M.
- Gynecologic Oncology, Vol. 126, Issue 1, p. 118-123
Efficient Synthetic Access to a New Family of Highly Potent Bryostatin Analogues via a Prins-Driven Macrocyclization Strategy
journal, May 2008
- Wender, Paul A.; DeChristopher, Brian A.; Schrier, Adam J.
- Journal of the American Chemical Society, Vol. 130, Issue 21, p. 6658-6659
The Practical Synthesis of a Novel and Highly Potent Analogue of Bryostatin
- Wender, Paul A.; Baryza, Jeremy L.; Bennett, Chad E.
- Journal of the American Chemical Society, Vol. 124, Issue 46, p. 13648-13649
The design of guanidinium-rich transporters and their internalization mechanisms
journal, March 2008
- Wender, Paul A.; Galliher, Wesley C.; Goun, Elena A.
- Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, Vol. 60, Issue 4-5, p. 452-472
The design, synthesis, and evaluation of molecules that enable or enhance cellular uptake: Peptoid molecular transporters
journal, November 2000
- Wender, P. A.; Mitchell, D. J.; Pattabiraman, K.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 97, Issue 24, p. 13003-13008
Modeling of the bryostatins to the phorbol ester pharmacophore on protein kinase C
journal, October 1988
- Wender, P. A.; Cribbs, C. M.; Koehler, K. F.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 85, Issue 19, p. 7197-7201
Reducible Poly(oligo-D-arginine) for Enhanced Gene Expression in Mouse Lung by Intratracheal Injection
journal, April 2010
- Won, Young-Wook; Kim, Hyun Ah; Lee, Minhyung
- Molecular Therapy, Vol. 18, Issue 4, p. 734-742
Structure Activity Relations of Polyfunctional Diterpenes of the Tigliane Type, VI
journal, February 1984
- Zayed, S.; Sorg, B.; Hecker, E.
- Planta Medica, Vol. 50, Issue 01, p. 65-69
Generation of Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Using Recombinant Proteins
journal, May 2009
- Zhou, Hongyan; Wu, Shili; Joo, Jin Young
- Cell Stem Cell, Vol. 4, Issue 5, p. 381-384
ABCG2/BCRP Expression Modulates d-Luciferin–Based Bioluminescence Imaging
journal, October 2007
- Zhang, Yimao; Bressler, Joseph P.; Neal, Jeff
- Cancer Research, Vol. 67, Issue 19, p. 9389-9397
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: