Resistive field structures for semiconductor devices and uses therof
The present disclosure relates to resistive field structures that provide improved electric field profiles when used with a semiconductor device. In particular, the resistive field structures provide a uniform electric field profile, thereby enhancing breakdown voltage and improving reliability. In example, the structure is a field cage that is configured to be resistive, in which the potential changes significantly over the distance of the cage. In another example, the structure is a resistive field plate. Using these resistive field structures, the characteristics of the electric field profile can be independently modulated from the physical parameters of the semiconductor device. Additional methods and architectures are described herein.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- National Technology & Engineering Solutions of Sandia, LLC SNL-A
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2016 Jan 06
- Research Org:
- Sandia National Lab. (SNL-NM), Albuquerque, NM (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE; 75 CONDENSED MATTER PHYSICS, SUPERCONDUCTIVITY AND SUPERFLUIDITY
Other works cited in this record:Semiconductor Device
patent-application, May 2010
- Kusunoki, Shigeru
- US Patent Application 12/436453; 20100118455
patent-application, September 2015
- Kobayashi, Hitoshi
- US Patent Application 14/474051; 20150263107
Breakdown characteristics in AlGaN/GaN HEMTs with multi-field-plate structure
conference, May 2012
- Asano, T.; Yamada, N.; Saito, T.
- 2012 IEEE International Meeting for Future of Electron Devices, Kansai
Semiconductors for high‐voltage, vertical channel field‐effect transistors
journal, March 1982
- Baliga, B. J.
- Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 53, Issue 3, p. 1759-1764
Effect of Field Plate on the RF Performance of AlGaN/GaN HEMT Devices
journal, January 2012
- Chiang, Che-Yang; Hsu, Heng-Tung; Chang, Edward Yi
- Physics Procedia, Vol. 25, p. 86-91
Design of AlGaN/GaN HEMTs employing mesa field plate for breakdown voltage enhancement
journal, April 2010
- Cho, Kyu-Heon; Kim, Young-Shil; Lim, Jiyong
- Solid-State Electronics, Vol. 54, Issue 4, p. 405-409
A 96% Efficient High-Frequency DC–DC Converter Using E-Mode GaN DHFETs on Si
journal, October 2011
- Das, Jo; Everts, Jordi; Van Den Keybus, Jeroen
- IEEE Electron Device Letters, Vol. 32, Issue 10, p. 1370-1372
High Breakdown Voltage Achieved on AlGaN/GaN HEMTs With Integrated Slant Field Plates
journal, September 2006
- Dora, Y.; Chakraborty, A.; Mccarthy, L.
- IEEE Electron Device Letters, Vol. 27, Issue 9, p. 713-715
Very high voltage AlGaN/GaN high electron mobility transistors using a field plate deposited on a stepped insulator
journal, September 2001
- Karmalkar, Shreepad; Mishra, Umesh K.
- Solid-State Electronics, Vol. 45, Issue 9, p. 1645-1652
Enhancement of breakdown voltage in AlGaN/GaN high electron mobility transistors using a field plate
journal, January 2001
- Karmalkar, S.; Mishra, U. K.
- IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 48, Issue 8, p. 1515-1521
Optical and electrical properties of Mg-doped p-type AlxGa1−xN
journal, February 2002
- Li, J.; Oder, T. N.; Nakarmi, M. L.
- Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 80, Issue 7, p. 1210-1212
Enhanced p-type conduction in GaN and AlGaN by Mg-δ-doping
journal, May 2003
- Nakarmi, M. L.; Kim, K. H.; Li, J.
- Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 82, Issue 18, p. 3041-3043
Influence of Surface Defect Charge at AlGaN–GaN-HEMT Upon Schottky Gate Leakage Current and Breakdown Voltage
journal, February 2005
- Saito, W.; Kuraguchi, M.; Takada, Y.
- IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 52, Issue 2, p. 159-164
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: