Exotensioned structural members with energy-absorbing effects
Structural members having enhanced load bearing capacity per unit mass include a skeleton structure formed from strips of material. Notches may be placed on the strips and a weave of tensile material placed in the notches and woven around the skeleton structure. At least one pair of structural members can be jointed together to provide very strong joints due to a weave patterns of tensile material, such as Kevlar, that distributes stress throughout the structure, preventing stress from concentrating in one area. Methods of manufacturing such structural members include molding material into skeletons of desired cross section using a matrix of molding segments. Total catastrophic failures in composite materials are substantially avoided and the strength to weight ratio of structures can be increased.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Brockwell; Michael Ian LANL
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2015 Jul 22
- Research Org:
- Los Alamos National Lab. (LANL), Los Alamos, NM (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE; 32 ENERGY CONSERVATION, CONSUMPTION, AND UTILIZATION
Other works cited in this record:Chair and Spacer for Concrete Reenforcements
patent, December 1931
- Olmsted, R. C.
- US Patent Document 1,835,806
Open Mesh Woven Wire Tube
patent, November 1932
- Kellems, E. E.
- US Patent Document 1,886,026
patent, February 1943
- Weiss, G. C.
- US Patent Document 2,312,293
Method of Making Cellular Structures
patent, April 1952
- Robinson, R. H.
- US Patent Document 2,593,714
Cables for Prestressing Concrete
patent, December 1963
- Harris, A. J.
- US Patent Document 3,114,987
Method of Making Filament Wound Structural Columns
patent, February 1969
- Young, E. C.
- US Patent Document 3,429,758
patent, March 1970
- Bosch, L. R.
- US Patent Document 3,501,880
patent, June 1971
- Beecham, Ray E.
- US Patent Document 3,589,034
patent, September 1972
- Brynjegard, O. G.
- US Patent Document 3,690,998
Method and Device for Straightening Beams
patent, March 1973
- Stegmuller, Charles D.
- US Patent Document 3,722,562
Basic beam structural member and structures built therefrom
patent, July 1975
- Kotlarz, Joseph C.
- US Patent Document 3,893,271
Filament winding craft
patent, February 1977
- Lemelson, Jerome H.
- US Patent Document 4,006,540
Ribbed composite structure and process and apparatus for producing the same
patent, January 1979
- Mayes, Jr., James T.; Rosene, Will A.
- US Patent Document 4,137,354
Annular three-dimensional structure usable in particular as reinforcement
patent, March 1981
- Maistre, Michel
- US Patent Document 4,254,599
patent, September 1985
- Overbo, Gordon
- US Patent Document 4,539,785
patent, January 1986
- Overbo, Gordon
- US Patent Document 4,566,247
Three dimensional fabric with a linkage structure
patent, June 1991
- Yasui, Yoshiharu; Anahara, Meiji; Asahi, Goro
- US Patent Document 5,024,874
Method of surfacing screen organization
patent, May 1992
- Harvey, Marty
- US Patent Document 5,116,553
Braided product and method of making same
patent, February 1993
- Kite, J. Sellers
- US Patent Document 5,186,992
Composite structural member with high bending strength
patent, February 1993
- Quigley, Peter
- US Patent Document 5,188,872
Joint for connecting members of a load bearing truss
patent, January 1998
- Lindsay, Pat
- US Patent Document 5,704,185
patent, March 1998
- Arumugasaamy, Panchadsaram; Greenwood, Mark E.
- US Patent Document 5,727,357
Three-dimensional iso-tross structure
patent, July 1999
- Francom, Larry R.; Jensen, David W.
- US Patent Document 5,921,048
Quasi-isotropic composite isogrid structure and method of making same
patent, December 1999
- Barnes, Donald; Kusek, Stephen; Lascola, Dennis
- US Patent Document 6,007,894
Modular fiber-reinforced composite structural member
patent, February 2001
- Seible, Frieder; Hegemier, Gilbert
- US Patent Document 6,189,286
Method and apparatus for extruding shaped products from recycled plastic materials
patent, February 2001
- Ford, Wayne
- US Patent Document 6,193,919
Flexible tubing with braided signal transmission elements
patent, April 2001
- Steen, Brett; Daniel, Stevie
- US Patent Document 6,213,995
Core assembly and method for making same
patent, May 2001
- Lewis, J. Harry
- US Patent Document 6,233,893
Steel rod-reinforced plastic piling
patent, June 2001
- Barmakian, Andrew
- US Patent Document 6,244,014
Composite action system and method
patent, March 2005
- Azizinamini, Atorod
- US Patent Document 6,871,462
Tensegrity unit, structure and method for construction
patent, June 2005
- Liapi, Katherine A.
- US Patent Document 6,901,714
Structure reinforcing method, structure-reinforcing reinforcing fiber yarn-containing material, reinforcing structure material and reinforced structure
patent, September 2005
- Maeda, Toshiya; Mori, Yoshihide; Tsubouchi, Kentarou
- US Patent Document 6,938,390
Support for concrete reinforcing members
patent, September 2006
- Harris, Terry
- US Patent Document 7,108,453
Complex composite structures and method and apparatus for fabricating same from continuous fibers
patent, November 2006
- Jensen, David W.
- US Patent Document 7,132,027
Structural reinforcement system
patent, November 2010
- Lockwood, James; Cercone, Lawrence
- US Patent Document 7,824,751
patent, December 2011
- Suarez, Felix; Suarez, Felix; Suarez, Manuel
- US Patent Document 8,079,197
Braided electrical lead
patent, April 2012
- Swoyer, John M.; Farrell, Richard M.; Farrell, Brian K.
- US Patent Document 8,160,719
Composite material, composite part and methods for making such
patent, November 2012
- Levesque, Martin
- US Patent Document 8,302,522
Non-compliant medical balloon having braided or knitted reinforcement
patent, May 2014
- Davies, Jr., William F.; Pepper, Lanny R.; Hayes, Kelli L.
- US Patent Document 8,715,229
patent-application, October 2004
- Agrawal, Anoop; Tonazzi, Juan Carlos Lopez
- US Patent Document 10/626755; 20040201878
3-D fabrics and fabric preforms for composites having integrated systems, devices, and/or networks
patent-application, July 2005
- Alexander, Bogdanovich; Don, Wigent
- US Patent Document 10/716959; 20050146076
patent-application, August 2005
- Deupree, Alan
- US Patent Document 11/035768; 20050167644
Method of producing composite members having increased strength
patent-application, March 2007
- Johnson, Sr., William L.
- US Patent Document 11/507358; 20070045886
Automated Process for Embedding Optical Fibers in Woven Composites
patent-application, May 2007
- Goossen, Keith; Wetzel, Eric Dean; Caruso, Richard P.
- US Patent Document 11/557617; 20070103928
patent-application, June 2008
- Kallstrom, Christer
- US Patent Document 12/017667; 20080127598
Architectural Membrane Structures and Methods for Producing Them
patent-application, September 2008
- Augustyniak, Martin J.; Hamilton, Kris P.; Kalkstein, Hobart C.
- US Patent Document 12/052931; 20080229704
Building Component and Method of Reinforcing a Building Structure
patent-application, November 2008
- Mantegazza, Giovanni
- US Patent Document 12/092015; 20080286553
Rebar, Beam and Mesh Highchair
patent-application, February 2009
- Turek, James N.
- US Patent Document 12/259423; 20090044481
Woven Fiber Reinforcement Material
patent-application, March 2009
- Wheatley, Donald E.
- US Patent Document 12/212110; 20090081913
Reinforced Medical Tubing
patent-application, September 2009
- Fogarty, Terence M.
- US Patent Document 12/276761; 20090240236
Fiber Reinforcing Texture for Making a Composite Material Part
patent-application, November 2009
- Bouillon, Eric; Charleux, Francois; Louchet-Pouillerie, Caroline
- US Patent Document 12/305085; 20090280707
Damage and Leakage Barrier in All-Composite Pressure Vessels and Storage Tanks
patent-application, December 2009
- Cronin, John; Mallick, Kaushik; Lake, Mark
- US Patent Document 12/145255; 20090314785
Splice System for Fiber-Reinforced Polymer Rebars
patent-application, February 2010
- Oliva, Michael G.; Bank, Lawrence C.
- US Patent Document 12/189495; 20100031607
Composite Material, Composite Part and Methods for Making Such
patent-application, October 2010
- Levesque, Martin
- US Patent Document 12/766035; 20100269673
Rigid Carbon Fiber Cores for Sandwich Composite Structures
patent-application, December 2010
- Nutt, Steven R.; Huang, Yi-Jen
- US Patent Document 12/819151; 20100323181
Mesh Spacer for Reinforced Concrete
patent-application, September 2011
- Densmore, David S.
- US Patent Document 12/721702; 20110219721
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: