Thionin-D4E1 chimeric protein protects plants against bacterial infections
The generation of a chimeric protein containing a first domain encoding either a pro-thionon or thionin, a second domain encoding D4E1 or pro-D4E1, and a third domain encoding a peptide linker located between the first domain and second domain is described. Either the first domain or the second domain is located at the amino terminal of the chimeric protein and the other domain (second domain or first domain, respectively) is located at the carboxyl terminal. The chimeric protein has antibacterial activity. Genetically altered plants and their progeny expressing a polynucleotide encoding the chimeric protein resist diseases caused by bacteria.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- The United States of America, as represented by the Secretary of Agriculture LANL
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2015 Apr 21
- Research Org:
- Los Alamos National Lab. (LANL), Los Alamos, NM (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 59 BASIC BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES; 37 INORGANIC, ORGANIC, PHYSICAL, AND ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY
Other works cited in this record:Expression of a magainin-type antimicrobial peptide gene (MSI-99) in tomato enhances resistance to bacterial speck disease
journal, January 2004
- Alan, A. R.; Blowers, A.; Earle, E. D.
- Plant Cell Reports, Vol. 22, Issue 6, p. 388-396
Genetic transformation of sweet oranges with the D4E1 gene driven by the AtPP2 promoter
journal, July 2013
- Attílio, Lísia Borges; Mourão Filho, Francisco de Assis Alves; Harakava, Ricardo
- Pesquisa Agropecuária Brasileira, Vol. 48, Issue 7, p. 741-747
In Vitro Microbicidal Activities of Cecropin Peptides D2A21 and D4E1 and Gel Formulations Containing 0.1 to 2% D2A21 against Chlamydia trachomatis
journal, January 2002
- Ballweber, L. M.; Jaynes, J. E.; Stamm, W. E.
- Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, Vol. 46, Issue 1, p. 34-41
Expression of the α-thionin gene from barley in tobacco confers enhanced resistance to bacterial pathogens
journal, March 1993
- Carmona, Maria José; Molina, Antonio; Fernández, José Antonio
- The Plant Journal, Vol. 3, Issue 3, p. 457-462
Transgenic expression of a gene encoding a synthetic antimicrobial peptide results in inhibition of fungal growth in vitro and in planta
journal, May 2000
- Cary, Jeffrey W.; Rajasekaran, Kanniah; Jaynes, Jesse M.
- Plant Science, Vol. 154, Issue 2, p. 171-181
Cecropin A—Derived Peptides Are Potent Inhibitors of Fungal Plant Pathogens
journal, March 1998
- Cavallarin, Laura; Andreu, David; San Segundo, Blanca
- Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions, Vol. 11, Issue 3, p. 218-227
Enhanced resistance to the rice blast fungus Magnaporthe grisea conferred by expression of a cecropin A gene in transgenic rice
journal, October 2005
- Coca, María; Peñas, Gisela; Gómez, Jorge
- Planta, Vol. 223, Issue 3, p. 392-406
An engineered innate immune defense protects grapevines from Pierce disease
journal, February 2012
- Dandekar, A. M.; Gouran, H.; Ibanez, A. M.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 109, Issue 10, p. 3721-3725
Fungicidal properties, sterol binding, and proteolytic resistance of the synthetic peptide D4E1
journal, June 1998
- De Lucca, A. J.; Bland, J. M.; Grimm, C.
- Canadian Journal of Microbiology, Vol. 44, Issue 6, p. 514-520
Overexpression of an Endogenous Thionin Enhances Resistance of Arabidopsis against Fusarium oxysporum
journal, April 1997
- Epple, P.; Apel, K.; Bohlmann, H.
- The Plant Cell Online, Vol. 9, Issue 4, p. 509-520
Expression of an Engineered Cecropin Gene Cassette in Transgenic Tobacco Plants Confers Disease Resistance to Pseudomonas syringae pv. tabaci
journal, May 1997
- Huang, Y.; Nordeen, R. O.; Di, M.
- Phytopathology, Vol. 87, Issue 5, p. 494-499
Acquired resistance to the rice blast in transgenic rice accumulating the antimicrobial peptide thanatin
journal, September 2009
- Imamura, Tomohiro; Yasuda, Michiko; Kusano, Hiroaki
- Transgenic Research, Vol. 19, Issue 3, p. 415-424
Enhanced Resistance to Seed-Transmitted Bacterial Diseases in Transgenic Rice Plants Overproducing an Oat Cell-Wall-Bound Thionin
journal, June 2002
- Iwai, Takayoshi; Kaku, H.; Honkura, R.
- Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions, Vol. 15, Issue 6, p. 515-521
Expression of a Cecropin B lytic peptide analog in transgenic tobacco confers enhanced resistance to bacterial wilt caused by Pseudomonas solanacearum
journal, January 1993
- Jaynes, Jesse M.; Nagpala, Pablito; Destéfano-Beltrán, Luis
- Plant Science, Vol. 89, Issue 1, p. 43-53
Enhanced resistance to bacterial and fungal pathogens by overexpression of a human cathelicidin antimicrobial peptide (hCAP18/LL-37) in Chinese cabbage
journal, October 2011
- Jung, Yu-Jin; Lee, Soon-Youl; Moon, Yong-Sun
- Plant Biotechnology Reports, Vol. 6, Issue 1, p. 39-46
Involvement of the Pepper Antimicrobial Protein CaAMP1 Gene in Broad Spectrum Disease Resistance
journal, August 2008
- Lee, S. C.; Hwang, I. S.; Choi, H. W.
- Plant Physiology , Vol. 148, Issue 2, p. 1004-1020
Identification of Novel Hexapeptides Bioactive against Phytopathogenic Fungi through Screening of a Synthetic Peptide Combinatorial Library
journal, May 2002
- Lopez-Garcia, B.; Perez-Paya, E.; Marcos, J. F.
- Applied and Environmental Microbiology, Vol. 68, Issue 5, p. 2453-2460
Identification and Characterization of a Hexapeptide with Activity Against Phytopathogenic Fungi That Cause Postharvest Decay in Fruits
journal, August 2000
- López-García, Belén; González-Candelas, Luis; Pérez-Payá, Enrique
- Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions, Vol. 13, Issue 8, p. 837-846
Bacterial disease resistance of transgenic hybrid poplar expressing the synthetic antimicrobial peptide D4E1
journal, April 2003
- Mentag, R.; Luckevich, M.; Morency, M.-J.
- Tree Physiology, Vol. 23, Issue 6, p. 405-411
Inhibition of bacterial and fungal plant pathogens by thionins of types I and II
journal, January 1993
- Molina, Antonio; Goy, Patricia Ahl; Fraile, Aurora
- Plant Science, Vol. 92, Issue 2, p. 169-177
De novo designed cyclic cationic peptides as inhibitors of plant pathogenic bacteria
journal, November 2006
- Monroc, Sylvie; Badosa, Esther; Feliu, Lidia
- Peptides, Vol. 27, Issue 11, p. 2567-2574
Improvement of cyclic decapeptides against plant pathogenic bacteria using a combinatorial chemistry approach
journal, November 2006
- Monroc, Sylvie; Badosa, Esther; Besalú, Emili
- Peptides, Vol. 27, Issue 11, p. 2575-2584
Antimicrobial peptides and plant disease control
journal, May 2007
- Montesinos, Emilio
- FEMS Microbiology Letters, Vol. 270, Issue 1, p. 1-11
Transgenic sweet potato expressing thionin from barley gives resistance to black rot disease caused by Ceratocystis fimbriata in leaves and storage roots
journal, January 2012
- Muramoto, Nobuhiko; Tanaka, Tomoko; Shimamura, Takashi
- Plant Cell Reports, Vol. 31, Issue 6, p. 987-997
Deciphering a mechanism of membrane permeabilization by α-hordothionin peptide
journal, June 2011
- Oard, Svetlana V.
- Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Biomembranes, Vol. 1808, Issue 6, p. 1737-1745
Transgenic Potatoes Expressing a Novel Cationic Peptide are Resistant to Late Blight and Pink Rot
journal, April 2004
- Osusky, Milan; Osuska, Lubica; Hancock, Robert E.
- Transgenic Research, Vol. 13, Issue 2, p. 181-190
Broad-Spectrum Antimicrobial Activity in vitro of the Synthetic Peptide D4E1
journal, June 2001
- Rajasekaran, Kanniah; Stromberg, Kurt D.; Cary, Jeffrey W.
- Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, Vol. 49, Issue 6, p. 2799-2803
Disease resistance conferred by the expression of a gene encoding a synthetic peptide in transgenic cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.) plants
journal, November 2005
- Rajasekaran, Kanniah; Cary, Jeffrey W.; Jaynes, Jesse M.
- Plant Biotechnology Journal, Vol. 3, Issue 6, p. 545-554
First evidence for improved resistance to fire blight in transgenic pear expressing the attacin E gene from Hyalophora cecropia
journal, November 1999
- Reynoird, J. P.; Mourgues, F.; Norelli, J.
- Plant Science, Vol. 149, Issue 1, p. 23-31
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: