System and process for polarity swing assisted regeneration of gas selective capture liquids
A polarity swing-assisted regeneration (PSAR) process is disclosed for improving the efficiency of releasing gases chemically bound to switchable ionic liquids. Regeneration of the SWIL involves addition of a quantity of non-polar organic compound as an anti-solvent to destabilize the SWIL, which aids in release of the chemically bound gas. The PSAR decreases gas loading of a SWIL at a given temperature and increases the rate of gas release compared to heating in the absence of anti-solvent.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- BATTELLE MEMORIAL INSTITUTE PNNL
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2011 Sep 02
- Research Org:
- Pacific Northwest National Lab. (PNNL), Richland, WA (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 37 INORGANIC, ORGANIC, PHYSICAL, AND ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY
Other works cited in this record:Method of removing acidic gases from gaseous mixtures
patent, December 1964
- Deal, Jr., Carl H.; Derr, Elwood L.; Papadopoulos, Michael N.
- US Patent Document 3,161,461
patent, November 1966
- Deal, Jr., Carl H.; Derr, Elwood L.; Papdopoulos, Michael N.
- US Patent Document 3,284,162
Capture and release of mixed acid gasses with binding organic liquids
patent, September 2010
- Heldebrant, David J.; Yonker, Clement R.
- US Patent Document 12/360,717
System and process for capture of H.sub.2S from gaseous process streams and process for regeneration of the capture agent
patent, February 2014
- Heldebrant, David J.; Koech, Phillip K.; Rainbolt, James E.
- US Patent Document \t8,652,237
Switchable solvents and methods of use thereof
patent-application, March 2008
- Jessop, Philip G.; Eckert, Charles A.; Liotta, Charles L.
- US Patent Application 11/717172; 20080058549
Capture and Release of Acid-Gasses with Acid-Gas Binding Organic Compounds
patent-application, September 2009
- Heldebrant, David J.; Yonker, Clement R.; Koech, Phillip K.
- US Patent Application 12/427851; 20090220397
Removal Of Acid Gases By Means Of An Absorbent Comprising A Stripping Aid
patent-application, December 2010
- Garcia Andarcia, Hugo Rafael; Notz, Ralf; Sieder, Georg
- US Patent Application 12/819872; 20100319540
Green chemistry: Reversible nonpolar-to-polar solvent
journal, August 2005
- Jessop, Philip G.; Heldebrant, David J.; Li, Xiaowang
- Nature, Vol. 436, Issue 7054, p. 1102-1102
Reversible zwitterionic liquids, the reaction of alkanol guanidines, alkanol amidines, and diamines with CO2
journal, January 2010
- Heldebrant, David J.; Koech, Phillip K.; Ang, M. Trisha C.
- Green Chemistry, Vol. 12, Issue 4, p. 713-721
Switchable Solvents Consisting of Amidine/Alcohol or Guanidine/Alcohol Mixtures
journal, February 2008
- Phan, Lam; Chiu, Daniel; Heldebrant, David J.
- Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, Vol. 47, Issue 3, p. 539-545
CO2 Capture by a Task-Specific Ionic Liquid
journal, February 2002
- Bates, Eleanor D.; Mayton, Rebecca D.; Ntai, Ioanna
- Journal of the American Chemical Society, Vol. 124, Issue 6, p. 926-927
Equimolar CO2 Absorption by Anion-Functionalized Ionic Liquids
journal, February 2010
- Gurkan, Burcu E.; de la Fuente, Juan C.; Mindrup, Elaine M.
- Journal of the American Chemical Society, Vol. 132, Issue 7, p. 2116-2117
Reversible and robust CO2 capture by equimolar task-specific ionic liquid–superbase mixtures
journal, January 2010
- Wang, Congmin; Mahurin, Shannon M.; Luo, Huimin
- Green Chemistry, Vol. 12, Issue 5, p. 870-874
Reversible Uptake of COS, CS2, and SO2: Ionic Liquids with O-Alkylxanthate, O-Alkylthiocarbonyl, and O-Alkylsulfite Anions
journal, August 2009
- Heldebrant, David J.; Yonker, Clement R.; Jessop, Philip G.
- Chemistry - A European Journal, Vol. 15, Issue 31, p. 7619-7627
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: