Cells and methods for producing fatty alcohols
Recombinant cells and methods for improved yield of fatty alcohols. The recombinant cells harbor a recombinant thioesterase gene, a recombinant acyl-CoA synthetase gene, and a recombinant acyl-CoA reductase gene. In addition, a gene product from one or more of an acyl-CoA dehydrogenase gene, an enoyl-CoA hydratase gene, a 3-hydroxyacyl-CoA dehydrogenase gene, and a 3-ketoacyl-CoA thiolase gene in the recombinant cells is functionally deleted. Culturing the recombinant cells produces fatty alcohols at high yields.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- WISCONSIN ALUMNI RESEARCH FOUNDATION CHO
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2014 Oct 08
- Research Org:
- WISCONSIN ALUMNI RESEARCH FOUNDATION, Madison, WI (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 59 BASIC BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES
Other works cited in this record:Autonomous replication sequences for yeast strains of the genus pichia
patent, June 1989
- Cregg, James M.
- US Patent Document 4,837,148
patent, May 1990
- Cregg, James M.; Barringer, Kevin J.
- US Patent Document 4,929,555
Use of baculovirus early promoters for expression of foreign genes in stably transformed insect cells
patent, December 1991
- Guarino, Linda A.; Jarvis, Donald L.
- US Patent Document 5,077,214
DNA sequences, vectors and fusion polypeptides to increase secretion of desired polypeptides from filamentous fungi
patent, October 1997
- Lawlis, Virgil Bryan
- US Patent Document 5,679,543
Engineering plant thioesterases for altered substrate specificity
patent, September 1999
- Yuan, Ling; Dehesh, Katayoon; Kridl, Jean
- US Patent Document 5,955,329
Production of medium chain length polyhydroxyalkanoates from fatty acid biosynthetic pathways
patent, August 2010
- Aquin, Stephanie; Peoples, Oliver P.; Snell, Kristi D.
- US Patent Document 7,786,355
Production of fatty alcohols with fatty alcohol forming acyl-CoA reductases (FAR)
patent, July 2012
- McDaniel, Robert; Behrouzian, Behnaz; Clark, Louis
- US Patent Document 8,216,815
Fatty Acid-Producing Hosts
patent, July 2011
- Pfleger, Brian F.; Lennen, Rebecca M.
- US Patent Document \t12/984343; 20110165637
Carboxylic acid reductase is a versatile enzyme for the conversion of fatty acids into fuels and chemical commodities
journal, December 2012
- Akhtar, M. K.; Turner, N. J.; Jones, P. R.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 110, Issue 1, p. 87-92
Promiscuous Fatty Acyl CoA Ligases Produce Acyl-CoA and Acyl-SNAC Precursors for Polyketide Biosynthesis
journal, July 2005
- Arora, Pooja; Vats, Archana; Saxena, Priti
- Journal of the American Chemical Society, Vol. 127, Issue 26, p. 9388-9389
Construction of Escherichia coli K-12 in-frame, single-gene knockout mutants the Keio collection
journal, February 2006
- Baba, Tomoya; Ara, Takeshi; Hasegawa, Miki
- Molecular Systems Biology, Vol. 2, Article No. 2006.0008
Bacterial senescence: protein oxidation in non-proliferating cells is dictated by the accuracy of the ribosomes
journal, September 2001
- Ballesteros, Manuel; Fredriksson, Åsa; Henriksson, Jaqueline
- The EMBO Journal, Vol. 20, Issue 18, p. 5280-5289
Mammalian Wax Biosynthesis: I. Identification Of Two Fatty Acyl-Coenzyme A Reductases With Different Substrate Specificities And Tissue Distributions
journal, June 2004
- Cheng, Jeffrey B.; Russell, David W.
- Journal of Biological Chemistry, Vol. 279, Issue 36, p. 37789-37797
The path to next generation biofuels: successes and challenges in the era of synthetic biology
journal, January 2010
- Dellomonaco, Clementina; Fava, Fabio; Gonzalez, Ramon
- Microbial Cell Factories, Vol. 9, Issue 1, Article No. 3
Synthetic protein scaffolds provide modular control over metabolic flux
journal, August 2009
- Dueber, John E.; Wu, Gabriel C.; Malmirchegini, G. Reza
- Nature Biotechnology, Vol. 27, Issue 8, p. 753-759
Enzymatic assembly of DNA molecules up to several hundred kilobases
journal, April 2009
- Gibson, Daniel G.; Young, Lei; Chuang, Ray-Yuan
- Nature Methods, Vol. 6, Issue 5, p. 343-345
Fatty acyl-CoA reductases of birds
journal, January 2011
- Hellenbrand, Janine; Biester, Eva-Maria; Gruber, Jens
- BMC Biochemistry, Vol. 12, Issue 1, Article No. 64
Growth Phase-Dependent Expression of Drug Exporters in Escherichia coli and Its Contribution to Drug Tolerance
journal, August 2006
- Kobayashi, A.; Hirakawa, H.; Hirata, T.
- Journal of Bacteriology, Vol. 188, Issue 16, p. 5693-5703
A process for microbial hydrocarbon synthesis: Overproduction of fatty acids in Escherichia coli and catalytic conversion to alkanes
journal, June 2010
- Lennen, Rebecca M.; Braden, Drew J.; West, Ryan M.
- Biotechnology and Bioengineering, Vol. 106, Issue 2, p. 193-202
Evolution of multicomponent pheromone signals in small ermine moths involves a single fatty-acyl reductase gene
journal, June 2010
- Lienard, M. A.; Hagstrom, A. K.; Lassance, J.-M.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 107, Issue 24, p. 10955-10960
Isolation of mutants of Acinetobacter calcoaceticus deficient in wax ester synthesis and complementation of one mutation with a gene encoding a fatty acyl coenzyme A reductase.
journal, May 1997
- Reiser, S.; Somerville, C.
- Journal of Bacteriology, Vol. 179, Issue 9, p. 2969-2975
Microcompartments for B12-Dependent 1,2-Propanediol Degradation Provide Protection from DNA and Cellular Damage by a Reactive Metabolic Intermediate
journal, February 2008
- Sampson, E. M.; Bobik, T. A.
- Journal of Bacteriology, Vol. 190, Issue 8, p. 2966-2971
Effect of microaerophilic cell growth conditions on expression of the aerobic (cyoABCDE and cydAB) and anaerobic (narGHJI, frdABCD, and dmsABC) respiratory pathway genes in Escherichia coli.
journal, February 1996
- Tseng, C. P.; Albrecht, J.; Gunsalus, R. P.
- Journal of Bacteriology, Vol. 178, Issue 4, p. 1094-1098
Alteration of the specificity and regulation of fatty acid synthesis of Escherichia coli by expression of a plant medium-chain acyl-acyl carrier protein thioesterase.
journal, December 1994
- Voelker, T. A.; Davies, H. M.
- Journal of Bacteriology, Vol. 176, Issue 23, p. 7320-7327
Development of a New Strategy for Production of Medium-Chain-Length Polyhydroxyalkanoates by Recombinant Escherichia coli via Inexpensive Non-Fatty Acid Feedstocks
journal, November 2011
- Wang, Qin; Tappel, Ryan C.; Zhu, Chengjun
- Applied and Environmental Microbiology, Vol. 78, Issue 2, p. 519-527
Characterization of a Fatty Acyl-CoA Reductase from Marinobacter aquaeolei VT8: A Bacterial Enzyme Catalyzing the Reduction of Fatty Acyl-CoA to Fatty Alcohol
journal, December 2011
- Willis, Robert M.; Wahlen, Bradley D.; Seefeldt, Lance C.
- Biochemistry, Vol. 50, Issue 48, p. 10550-10558
Kinetic modeling of free fatty acid production in Escherichia coli based on continuous cultivation of a plasmid free strain
journal, January 2012
- Youngquist, J. Tyler; Lennen, Rebecca M.; Ranatunga, Don R.
- Biotechnology and Bioengineering, Vol. 109, Issue 6, p. 1518-1527
An efficient recombination system for chromosome engineering in Escherichia coli
journal, May 2000
- Yu, D.; Ellis, H. M.; Lee, E-C.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 97, Issue 11, p. 5978-5983
Optimization of fatty alcohol biosynthesis pathway for selectively enhanced production of C12/14 and C16/18 fatty alcohols in engineered Escherichia coli
journal, January 2012
- Zheng, Yan-Ning; Li, Ling-Ling; Liu, Qiang
- Microbial Cell Factories, Vol. 11, Article No. 65
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: