On-chip photonic-phononic emitter-receiver apparatus
A radio-frequency photonic devices employs photon-phonon coupling for information transfer. The device includes a membrane in which a two-dimensionally periodic phononic crystal (PnC) structure is patterned. The device also includes at least a first optical waveguide embedded in the membrane. At least a first line-defect region interrupts the PnC structure. The first optical waveguide is embedded within the line-defect region.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- National Technology & Engineering Solutions of Sandia, LLC SNL-A
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2016 Mar 03
- Research Org:
- Sandia National Lab. (SNL-NM), Albuquerque, NM (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 47 OTHER INSTRUMENTATION
Other works cited in this record:Apparatus and method for switching, modulation and dynamic control of light transmission using photonic crystals
patent, September 2008
- Jiang, Wei; Chen, Ray T.
- US Patent Document 7,421,179
patent, December 2013
- Rakich, Peter T.; El-Kady, Ihab F.; Olsson, Roy H.
- US Patent Document 8,600,200
Guided wave opto-acoustic device
patent, February 2016
- Jarecki, Jr., Robert L.; Rakich, Peter Thomas; Camacho, Ryan
- US Patent Document 9,268,092
Low optical overlap mode (LOOM) waveguiding system and method of making same
patent-application, November 2005
- Whaley, Ralph D. JR.; Abeles, Joseph H.; Kwakernaak, Martin H.
- US Patent Application 11/091186; 20050259937
Multimode Interference Coupler for Use With Slot Photonic Crystal Waveguides
patent-application, September 2010
- Chen, Xiaonan; Chen, Ray T.
- US Patent Application 12/550186; 20100226608
Photon confinement in photonic crystal nanocavities
journal, December 2008
- Lalanne, P.; Sauvan, C.; Hugonin, J. P.
- Laser & Photonics Review, Vol. 2, Issue 6, p. 514-526
Microwave synthesizer using an on-chip Brillouin oscillator
journal, June 2013
- Li, Jiang; Lee, Hansuek; Vahala, Kerry J.
- Nature Communications, Vol. 4, Article No. 2097
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: