Segmented scintillation antineutrino detector
The various technologies presented herein relate to incorporating a wavelength-shifting material in a scintillator to facilitate absorption of a first electromagnetic particle (e.g., a first photon) having a first wavelength and subsequent generation and emission of a second electromagnetic particle (e.g., a second photon) having a second wavelength. The second electromagnetic particle can be emitted isotropically, with a high probability that the direction of emission of the second electromagnetic particle is disparate to the direction of travel of the first electromagnetic particle (and according angle of incidence). Isotropic emission of the second electromagnetic particle enables the second electromagnetic particle to be retained in the scintillator owing to internal reflection. Accordingly, longer length scintillators can be constructed, and accordingly, the scintillator array has a greater area (and volume) over which to detect electromagnetic particles (e.g., antineutrinos) being emitted from a nuclear reaction.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Sandia Corporation SNL-A
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2014 Nov 25
- Research Org:
- Sandia National Lab. (SNL-NM), Albuquerque, NM (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE; 46 INSTRUMENTATION RELATED TO NUCLEAR SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Other works cited in this record:Neutron detection and identification using ZnS:Ag/6LiF in segmented antineutrino detectors
journal, October 2011
- Kiff, Scott D.; Bowden, Nathaniel; Lund, Jim
- Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section A: Accelerators, Spectrometers, Detectors and Associated Equipment, Vol. 652, Issue 1, p. 412-416
Monitoring the thermal power of nuclear reactors with a prototype cubic meter antineutrino detector
journal, April 2008
- Bernstein, A.; Bowden, N. S.; Misner, A.
- Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 103, Issue 7, Article No. 074905
Observation of the isotopic evolution of pressurized water reactor fuel using an antineutrino detector
journal, March 2009
- Bowden, N. S.; Bernstein, A.; Dazeley, S.
- Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 105, Issue 6, Article No. 064902
Nuclear Security Applications of Antineutrino Detectors: Current Capabilities and Future Prospects
journal, December 2010
- Bernstein, A.; Baldwin, G.; Boyer, B.
- Science & Global Security, Vol. 18, Issue 3, p. 127-192
Integrated readout of organic scintillator and ZnS:Ag/6LiF for segmented antineutrino detectors
conference, October 2010
- Kiff, S D; Bowden, N; Monahan, J
- Nuclear Science Symposium Conference Record (NSS/MIC), 2010 IEEE
Advances toward a transportable antineutrino detector system for reactor monitoring and safeguards
conference, June 2011
- Reyna, D.; Bernstein, A.; Lund, J.
- Advancements in Nuclear Instrumentation Measurement Methods and their Applications (ANIMMA), 2011 2nd International Conference on
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: