Multiple-membrane multiple-electrolyte redox flow battery design
A redox flow battery is provided. The redox flow battery involves multiple-membrane (at least one cation exchange membrane and at least one anion exchange membrane), multiple-electrolyte (one electrolyte in contact with the negative electrode, one electrolyte in contact with the positive electrode, and at least one electrolyte disposed between the two membranes) as the basic characteristic, such as a double-membrane, triple electrolyte (DMTE) configuration or a triple-membrane, quadruple electrolyte (TMQE) configuration. The cation exchange membrane is used to separate the negative or positive electrolyte and the middle electrolyte, and the anion exchange membrane is used to separate the middle electrolyte and the positive or negative electrolyte.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- University of Delaware ARPA-E
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- AR0000346; AR000009
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2013 Jun 14
- Research Org:
- Univ. of Delaware, Newark, DE (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE; 25 ENERGY STORAGE
Other works cited in this record:All-vanadium redox battery
patent, November 1988
- Skyllas-Kazacos, Maria; Rychick, Miron; Robins, Robert
- US Patent Document 4,786,567
Electrochemical energy storage and power delivery process utilizing iron-sulfur couple
patent, June 1995
- Zito, Ralph
- US Patent Document 5,422,197
Redox flow battery system and cell stack
patent, November 2002
- Pellegri, Alberto; Broman, Barry
- US Patent Document 6,475,661
Battery with bifunctional electrolyte
patent-application, March 2006
- Clarke, Robert Lewis; Dougherty, Brian J.; Harrison, Stephen
- US Patent Application 11/248638; 20060063065
High Energy Density Redox Flow Device
patent-application, February 2010
- Chiang, Yet-Ming; Carter, W. Craig; Ho, Bryan H.
- US Patent Document 12/484113; 20100047671
Redox Flow Battery System for Distributed Energy Storage
patent-application, February 2011
- Horne, Craig R.; Kinoshita, Kim; Hickey, Darren B.
- US Patent Document 12/883511; 20110045332
Information Processor, Control Method, And Computer-Readable Recording Medium Recording Control Program
patent-application, January 2012
- Iwamatsu, Noboru; Nishiguchi, Naoki
- US Patent Application 13/097272; 20120011506
Method for Storing Electrical Energy in Ionic Liquids
patent-application, May 2012
- Noack, Jens; Tubke, Jens; Pinkwart, Karsten
- US Patent Application 13/201813; 20120115069
Preliminary study of single flow zinc–nickel battery
journal, November 2007
- Cheng, Jie; Zhang, Li; Yang, Yu-Sheng
- Electrochemistry Communications, Vol. 9, Issue 11, p. 2639-2642
Characterization of different grades of aluminum anodes for aluminum/air batteries
journal, March 1997
- Doche, M.L.; Novel-Cattin, F.; Durand, R.
- Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 65, Issue 1-2, p. 197-205
Characterization of a zinc–cerium flow battery
journal, June 2011
- Leung, P.K.; Ponce-de-León, C.; Low, C.T.J.
- Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 196, Issue 11, p. 5174-5185
Ion exchange membranes for vanadium redox flow battery (VRB) applications
journal, March 2011
- Li, Xianfeng; Zhang, Huamin; Mai, Zhensheng
- Energy & Environmental Science, Vol. 4, Issue 4, p. 1147-1160
Progress in Flow Battery Research and Development
journal, June 2011
- Skyllas-Kazacos, M.; Chakrabarti, M. H.; Hajimolana, S. A.
- Journal of The Electrochemical Society, Vol. 158, Issue 8, p. R55-R79
Modification of graphite electrode materials for vanadium redox flow battery application—I. Thermal treatment
journal, June 1992
- Sun, B.; Skyllas-Kazacos, M.
- Electrochimica Acta, Vol. 37, Issue 7, p. 1253-1260
Redox flow batteries a review
journal, September 2011
- Weber, Adam Z.; Mench, Matthew M.; Meyers, Jeremy P.
- Journal of Applied Electrochemistry, Vol. 41, Issue 10, p. 1137-1164
Ion exchange membranes State of their development and perspective
journal, October 2005
- Xu, T.
- Journal of Membrane Science, Vol. 263, Issue 1-2, p. 1-29
Electrochemical Energy Storage for Green Grid
journal, May 2011
- Yang, Zhenguo; Zhang, Jianlu; Kintner-Meyer, Michael C. W.
- Chemical Reviews, Vol. 111, Issue 5, p. 3577-3613
Water transport study across commercial ion exchange membranes in the vanadium redox flow battery
journal, October 1997
- Mohammadi, T.; Chieng, S.C.; Skyllas Kazacos, M.
- Journal of Membrane Science, Vol. 133, Issue 2, p. 151-159
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: