Reconfigurable optical-to-optical frequency conversion method and apparatus
A photonic device is provided for impressing a modulation pattern on an optical carrier. The device includes a unit in which a photodetector and an optical microresonator are monolithically integrated. The device further includes an optical waveguide evanescently coupled to the optical microresonator and having at least an upstream portion configured to carry at least one optical carrier toward the microresonator. The optical microresonator is tunable so as to resonate with the optical carrier frequency. The optical microresonator and the photodetector are mutually coupled such that in operation, charge carriers photogenerated in the photodetector are injected into the microresonator, where the photocurrent changes the resonant conditions. In some embodiments the device is operable as an optical-to-optical frequency converter. In other embodiments the device is operable as an oscillator.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Sandia Corporation SNL-A
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2014 Dec 08
- Research Org:
- Sandia National Lab. (SNL-NM), Albuquerque, NM (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE; 47 OTHER INSTRUMENTATION
Other works cited in this record:Optical communication and display system
patent, January 1977
- Gorog, Istvan
- US Patent Document 4,004,078
Wavelength-division multiplexed M.times.N.times.M cross-connect switch using active microring resonators
patent, February 2001
- Soref, Richard A.; Little, Brent E.
- US Patent Document 6,195,187
Microresonator-based tuned optical filter
patent, December 2003
- Strecker, Brian N.
- US Patent Document 6,661,950
VCSEL with monolithically integrated photodetector
patent, April 2004
- Steinle, Gunther; Wolf, Hans-Dietrich
- US Patent Document 6,717,972
Integrated opto-electronic oscillators
patent, January 2009
- Gunn, Deana; Morozov, Nikolai; Ilchenko, Vladimir
- US Patent Document 7,480,425
patent, February 2009
- Smith, Terry L.; Yi, Yasha; Koch, Barry J.
- US Patent Document 7,486,855
Ultra-sensitive electric field detection device
patent, November 2013
- Yi, Fei; Ho, Seng-Tiong
- US Patent Document 8,582,929
In-microresonator linear-absorption-based real-time photocurrent-monitoring and tuning with closed-loop control for silicon microresonators
patent, September 2015
- Li, Yu; Feng, Shaoqi; Zhang, Yu
- US Patent Document 9,134,169
Control of integrated micro-resonator wavelength via balanced homodyne locking
journal, January 2014
- Cox, Jonathan A.; Lentine, Anthony L.; Trotter, Douglas C.
- Optics Express, Vol. 22, Issue 9, p. 11279-11289
Ultra compact 45 GHz CMOS compatible Germanium waveguide photodiode with low dark current
journal, January 2011
- DeRose, Christopher T.; Trotter, Douglas C.; Zortman, William A.
- Optics Express, Vol. 19, Issue 25, p. 24897-24904
Ultralow Power Silicon Modulators
conference, January 2014
- Watts, Michael R.
Bit-Error-Rate Monitoring for Active Wavelength Control of Resonant Modulators
journal, January 2013
- Zortman, William A.; Lentine, Anthony L.; Trotter, Douglas C.
- IEEE Micro, Vol. 33, Issue 1, p. 42-52
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: