Electrochemical system and method for electropolishing superconductive radio frequency cavities
An electrochemical finishing system for super conducting radio frequency (SCRF) cavities including a low viscosity electrolyte solution that is free of hydrofluoric acid, an electrode in contact with the electrolyte solution, the SCRF cavity being spaced apart from the electrode and in contact with the electrolyte solution and a power source including a first electrical lead electrically coupled to the electrode and a second electrical lead electrically coupled to the cavity, the power source being configured to pass an electric current between the electrode and the workpiece, wherein the electric current includes anodic pulses and cathodic pulses, and wherein the cathodic pulses are interposed between at least some of the anodic pulses. The SCRF cavity may be vertically oriented during the finishing process.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Faraday Technology, Inc. (Clayton, OH) FNAL
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2012 Jul 11
- Research Org:
- Fermi National Accelerator Lab. (FNAL), Batavia, IL (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE; 75 CONDENSED MATTER PHYSICS, SUPERCONDUCTIVITY AND SUPERFLUIDITY
Other works cited in this record:Fundamental aspects and applications of electrochemical microfabrication
journal, May 2000
- Datta, M.; Landolt, D.
- Electrochimica Acta, Vol. 45, Issue 15-16, p. 2535-2558
Electrocrystallization in pulse electrolysis
journal, March 1978
- Ibl, N.; Puippe, J. Cl.; Angerer, H.
- Surface Technology, Vol. 6, Issue 4, p. 287-300
Fundamental aspects of electropolishing
journal, January 1987
- Landolt, D.
- Electrochimica Acta, Vol. 32, Issue 1, p. 1-11
Achievement of in the superconducting nine-cell cavities for TESLA
journal, May 2004
- Lilje, L.; Kako, E.; Kostin, D.
- Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section A: Accelerators, Spectrometers, Detectors and Associated Equipment, Vol. 524, Issue 1-3, p. 1-12
MREF-ECM process for hard passive materials surface finishing
journal, January 2001
- Sun, J. J.; Taylor, E. J.; Srinivasan, R.
- Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 108, Issue 3, p. 356-368
Electrohydrodynamic impedance study of anodically formed salt films on iron in chloride solutions
journal, July 1992
- West, A. C.; Grimm, R.-D.; Landolt, D.
- Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry, Vol. 330, Issue 1-2, p. 693-706
Smooth Nb surfaces fabricated by buffered electropolishing
journal, January 2007
- Wu, Andy T.; Mammosser, John; Phillips, Larry
- Applied Surface Science, Vol. 253, Issue 6, p. 3041-3052
Duplex diffusion layer model for pulse with reverse plating
journal, January 1997
- Yin, K.-M.
- Surface and Coatings Technology, Vol. 88, Issue 1-3, p. 162-164
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: