Enhanced triacylglycerol accumulation in vegetative tissues of plants
In the tgd1-1 mutant that displays substantially enhanced TAG synthesis and turnover, disruption of SUGAR-DEPENDENT1 (SDP1) TAG lipase or PEROXISOMAL TRANSPORTER1 (PXA1) severely decreases FA turnover, leading to an increase in leaf TAG content up to 9% of dry weight and total leaf lipid by three-fold. The membrane lipid content and composition of tgd1-1 sdp1-4 and tgd1-1 pxa1-2 double mutants are altered and they are compromised in growth and development and fertility.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Brookhaven Science Associates, LLC BNL
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- AC02-98CH10886; SC0012704
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2015 Jul 02
- Research Org:
- Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL), Upton, NY (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 59 BASIC BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES
Other works cited in this record:Regulation of peroxisomal fatty acid transport in plants
patent, December 2009
- Baker, Alison; Slocombe, Stephen; Graham, Ian
- US Patent Document 7,626,079
Reduced RDM-1 gene expression in plants
patent, January 2012
- Eastmond, Peter
- US Patent Document 8,093,452
The SUGAR-DEPENDENT1 Lipase Limits Triacylglycerol Accumulation in Vegetative Tissues of Arabidopsis
journal, May 2013
- Kelly, A. A.; van Erp, H.; Quettier, A.-L.
- PLANT PHYSIOLOGY, Vol. 162, Issue 3, p. 1282-1289
Mutation of the TGD1 Chloroplast Envelope Protein Affects Phosphatidate Metabolism in Arabidopsis
journal, November 2005
- Xu, Changcheng; Fan, Jilian; Froehlich, John E.
- The Plant Cell, Vol. 17, Issue 11, p. 3094-3110
The yeast lipin orthologue Pah1p is important for biogenesis of lipid droplets
journal, March 2011
- Adeyo, Oludotun; Horn, Patrick J.; Lee, SungKyung
- The Journal of Cell Biology, Vol. 192, Issue 6, p. 1043-1055
Overexpression of Diacylglycerol Acyltransferase-1 Reduces Phospholipid Synthesis, Proliferation, and Invasiveness in Simian Virus 40-transformed Human Lung Fibroblasts
journal, October 2003
- Bagnato, Carolina; Igal, R. Ariel
- Journal of Biological Chemistry, Vol. 278, Issue 52, p. 52203-52211
Understanding in vivo carbon precursor supply for fatty acid synthesis in leaf tissue
journal, April 2000
- Bao, Xiaoming; Focke, Manfred; Pollard, Mike
- The Plant Journal, Vol. 22, Issue 1, p. 39-50
A Mutant of Arabidopsis Deficient in the Chloroplast 16:1/18:1 Desaturase
journal, June 1989
- Browse, J.; Kunst, L.; Anderson, S.
- Plant Physiology, Vol. 90, Issue 2, p. 522-529
Phosphatidylcholine deficiency upregulates enzymes of triacylglycerol metabolism in CHO cells
journal, June 2004
- Caviglia, J. Matías; de Gómez Dumm, I. Nelva T.; Coleman, Rosalind A.
- Journal of Lipid Research, Vol. 45, Issue 8, p. 1500-1509
Compartmentation of Triacylglycerol Accumulation in Plants
journal, November 2011
- Chapman, Kent D.; Ohlrogge, John B.
- Journal of Biological Chemistry, Vol. 287, Issue 4, p. 2288-2294
Phosphatidate Phosphatase Activity Plays Key Role in Protection against Fatty Acid-induced Toxicity in Yeast
journal, June 2011
- Fakas, Stylianos; Qiu, Yixuan; Dixon, Joseph L.
- Journal of Biological Chemistry, Vol. 286, Issue 33, p. 29074-29085
Phospholipid:diacylglycerol acyltransferase-mediated triacylglycerol biosynthesis is crucial for protection against fatty acid-induced cell death in growing tissues of Arabidopsis
journal, November 2013
- Fan, Jilian; Yan, Chengshi; Xu, Changcheng
- The Plant Journal, Vol. 76, Issue 6, p. 930-942
Dual Role for Phospholipid:Diacylglycerol Acyltransferase: Enhancing Fatty Acid Synthesis and Diverting Fatty Acids from Membrane Lipids to Triacylglycerol in Arabidopsis Leaves
journal, September 2013
- Fan, J.; Yan, C.; Zhang, X.
- The Plant Cell, Vol. 25, Issue 9, p. 3506-3518
A Block in Endoplasmic Reticulum-to-Golgi Trafficking Inhibits Phospholipid Synthesis and Induces Neutral Lipid Accumulation
journal, July 2008
- Gaspar, Maria L.; Jesch, Stephen A.; Viswanatha, Raghuvir
- Journal of Biological Chemistry, Vol. 283, Issue 37, p. 25735-25751
At4g24160, a Soluble Acyl-Coenzyme A-Dependent Lysophosphatidic Acid Acyltransferase
journal, August 2009
- Ghosh, A. K.; Chauhan, N.; Rajakumari, S.
- Plant Physiology, Vol. 151, Issue 2, p. 869-881
Inactivation of the C. elegans lipin homolog leads to ER disorganization and to defects in the breakdown and reassembly of the nuclear envelope
journal, June 2009
- Golden, A.; Liu, J.; Cohen-Fix, O.
- Journal of Cell Science, Vol. 122, Issue 12, p. 1970-1978
Seed Storage Oil Mobilization
journal, June 2008
- Graham, Ian A.
- Annual Review of Plant Biology, Vol. 59, Issue 1, p. 115-142
The small, versatilepPZP family ofAgrobacterium binary vectors for plant transformation
journal, September 1994
- Hajdukiewicz, Peter; Svab, Zora; Maliga, Pal
- Plant Molecular Biology, Vol. 25, Issue 6, p. 989-994
DGD1-independent biosynthesis of extraplastidic galactolipids after phosphate deprivation in Arabidopsis
journal, September 2000
- Hartel, H.; Dormann, P.; Benning, C.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 97, Issue 19, p. 10649-10654
Metabolism and Regulation of Glycerolipids in the Yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae
journal, February 2012
- Henry, Susan A.; Kohlwein, Sepp D.; Carman, George M.
- Genetics, Vol. 190, Issue 2, p. 317-349
Mechanisms of glycerophospholipid homeostasis in mammalian cells
journal, July 2011
- Hermansson, Martin; Hokynar, Kati; Somerharju, Pentti
- Progress in Lipid Research, Vol. 50, Issue 3, p. 240-257
Lipid landscapes and pipelines in membrane homeostasis
journal, June 2014
- Holthuis, Joost C.M.; Menon, Anant K.
- Nature, Vol. 510, Issue 7503, p. 48-57
Acylglycerol Recycling from Triacylglycerol to Phospholipid, Not Lipase Activity, Is Defective in Neutral Lipid Storage Disease Fibroblasts
journal, July 1996
- Igal, R. Ariel; Coleman, Rosalind A.
- Journal of Biological Chemistry, Vol. 271, Issue 28, p. 16644-16651
Disruption of the Arabidopsis CGI-58 homologue produces Chanarin–Dorfman-like lipid droplet accumulation in plants
journal, September 2010
- James, Christopher N.; Horn, Patrick J.; Case, Charlene R.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 107, Issue 41, p. 17833-17838
Seed Storage Oil Mobilization Is Important But Not Essential for Germination or Seedling Establishment in Arabidopsis
journal, October 2011
- Kelly, A. A.; Quettier, A.-L.; Shaw, E.
- PLANT PHYSIOLOGY, Vol. 157, Issue 2, p. 866-875
Galactolipid synthesis in chloroplast inner envelope is essential for proper thylakoid biogenesis, photosynthesis, and embryogenesis
journal, October 2007
- Kobayashi, K.; Kondo, M.; Fukuda, H.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 104, Issue 43, p. 17216-17221
Lipid Droplets and Peroxisomes: Key Players in Cellular Lipid Homeostasis or A Matter of Fat--Store 'em Up or Burn 'em Down
journal, December 2012
- Kohlwein, S. D.; Veenhuis, M.; van der Klei, I. J.
- Genetics, Vol. 193, Issue 1, p. 1-50
Identification of a plastid acyl-acyl carrier protein synthetase in Arabidopsis and its role in the activation and elongation of exogenous fatty acids
journal, October 2005
- Koo, Abraham J. K.; Fulda, Martin; Browse, John
- The Plant Journal, Vol. 44, Issue 4, p. 620-632
Altered regulation of lipid biosynthesis in a mutant of Arabidopsis deficient in chloroplast glycerol-3-phosphate acyltransferase activity
journal, June 1988
- Kunst, L.; Browse, J.; Somerville, C.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 85, Issue 12, p. 4143-4147
The ABC Transporter PXA1 and Peroxisomal -Oxidation Are Vital for Metabolism in Mature Leaves of Arabidopsis during Extended Darkness
journal, September 2009
- Kunz, H.-H.; Scharnewski, M.; Feussner, K.
- The Plant Cell Online, Vol. 21, Issue 9, p. 2733-2749
Elimination of the CDP-ethanolamine Pathway Disrupts Hepatic Lipid Homeostasis
journal, August 2009
- Leonardi, Roberta; Frank, Matthew W.; Jackson, Pamela D.
- Journal of Biological Chemistry, Vol. 284, Issue 40, p. 27077-27089
S -Adenosyl-L-homocysteine Hydrolase, Key Enzyme of Methylation Metabolism, Regulates Phosphatidylcholine Synthesis and Triacylglycerol Homeostasis in Yeast : IMPLICATIONS FOR HOMOCYSTEINE AS A RISK FACTOR OF ATHEROSCLEROSIS
journal, June 2008
- Malanovic, Nermina; Streith, Ingo; Wolinski, Heimo
- Journal of Biological Chemistry, Vol. 283, Issue 35, p. 23989-23999
A Revised Medium for Rapid Growth and Bio Assays with Tobacco Tissue Cultures
journal, July 1962
- Murashige, Toshio; Skoog, Folke
- Physiologia Plantarum, Vol. 15, Issue 3, p. 473-497
Arabidopsis lipins mediate eukaryotic pathway of lipid metabolism and cope critically with phosphate starvation
journal, November 2009
- Nakamura, Y.; Koizumi, R.; Shui, G.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 106, Issue 49, p. 20978-20983
Coordination of Lipid Metabolism in Membrane Biogenesis
journal, November 2009
- Nohturfft, Axel; Zhang, Shao Chong
- Annual Review of Cell and Developmental Biology, Vol. 25, Issue 1, p. 539-566
journal, July 1995
- Ohlrogge, J.; Browse, J.
- THE PLANT CELL ONLINE, Vol. 7, Issue 7, p. 957-970
The α/β Hydrolase CGI-58 and Peroxisomal Transport Protein PXA1 Coregulate Lipid Homeostasis and Signaling in Arabidopsis
journal, May 2013
- Park, Sunjung; Gidda, Satinder K.; James, Christopher N.
- The Plant Cell, Vol. 25, Issue 5, p. 1726-1739
Good Fat, Essential Cellular Requirements for Triacylglycerol Synthesis to Maintain Membrane Homeostasis in Yeast
journal, July 2009
- Petschnigg, Julia; Wolinski, Heimo; Kolb, Dagmar
- Journal of Biological Chemistry, Vol. 284, Issue 45, p. 30981-30993
The yeast lipin Smp2 couples phospholipid biosynthesis to nuclear membrane growth
journal, May 2005
- Santos-Rosa, Helena; Leung, Joanne; Grimsey, Neil
- The EMBO Journal, Vol. 24, Issue 11, p. 1931-1941
Oil accumulation in leaves directed by modification of fatty acid breakdown and lipid synthesis pathways
journal, September 2009
- Slocombe, Steve P.; Cornah, Jo; Pinfield-Wells, Helen
- Plant Biotechnology Journal, Vol. 7, Issue 7, p. 694-703
Seed storage oil catabolism: a story of give and take
journal, June 2012
- Theodoulou, Frederica L.; Eastmond, Peter J.
- Current Opinion in Plant Biology, Vol. 15, Issue 3, p. 322-328
Lipid Trafficking between the Endoplasmic Reticulum and the Plastid in Arabidopsis Requires the Extraplastidic TGD4 Protein
journal, August 2008
- Xu, C.; Fan, J.; Cornish, A. J.
- The Plant Cell, Vol. 20, Issue 8, p. 2190-2204
A permease-like protein involved in ER to thylakoid lipid transfer in Arabidopsis
journal, May 2003
- Xu, C.
- The EMBO Journal, Vol. 22, Issue 10, p. 2370-2379
Genome-Wide Insertional Mutagenesis of Arabidopsis thaliana
journal, August 2003
- Alonso, J. M.; Stepanova, Anna N.; Leisse, Thomas J.
- Science, Vol. 301, Issue 5633, p. 653-657
Metabolic Responses to the Reduction in Palmitate Caused by Disruption of the FATB Gene in Arabidopsis
journal, July 2004
- Bonaventure, Gustavo; Bao, Xiaoming; Ohlrogge, John
- Plant Physiology, Vol. 135, Issue 3, p. 1269-1279
Floral dip: a simplified method for Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of Arabidopsis thaliana
journal, December 1998
- Clough, Steven J.; Bent, Andrew F.
- The Plant Journal, Vol. 16, Issue 6, p. 735-743
Intrinsic acyl-CoA thioesterase activity of a peroxisomal ATP binding cassette transporter is required for transport and metabolism of fatty acids
journal, January 2013
- De Marcos Lousa, Carine; van Roermund, Carlo W. T.; Postis, Vincent L. G.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 110, Issue 4, p. 1279-1284
Isolation and Characterization of an Arabidopsis Mutant Deficient in the Thylakoid Lipid Digalactosyl Diacylglycerol
journal, November 1995
- Dormann, P.; Hoffmann-Benning, S.; Balbo, I.
- The Plant Cell Online, Vol. 7, Issue 11, p. 1801-1810
SUGAR-DEPENDENT1 Encodes a Patatin Domain Triacylglycerol Lipase That Initiates Storage Oil Breakdown in Germinating Arabidopsis Seeds
journal, March 2006
- Eastmond, P. J.
- The Plant Cell Online, Vol. 18, Issue 3, p. 665-675
PHOSPHATIDIC ACID PHOSPHOHYDROLASE1 and 2 Regulate Phospholipid Synthesis at the Endoplasmic Reticulum in Arabidopsis
journal, August 2010
- Eastmond, P. J.; Quettier, A.-L.; Kroon, J. T. M.
- The Plant Cell, Vol. 22, Issue 8, p. 2796-2811
A chloroplast pathway for the de novo biosynthesis of triacylglycerol in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii
journal, May 2011
- Fan, Jilian; Andre, Carl; Xu, Changcheng
- FEBS Letters, Vol. 585, Issue 12, p. 1985-1991
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: