Surface stabilized electrodes for lithium batteries
A stabilized electrode comprising a metal oxide or lithium-metal-oxide electrode material is formed by contacting a surface of the electrode material, prior to cell assembly, with an aqueous or a non-aqueous acid solution having a pH greater than 4 but less than 7 and containing a stabilizing salt, to etch the surface of the electrode material and introduce stabilizing anions and cations from the salt into said surface. The structure of the bulk of the electrode material remains unchanged during the acid treatment. The stabilizing salt comprises fluoride and at least one cationic material selected from the group consisting of ammonium, phosphorus, titanium, silicon, zirconium, aluminum, and boron.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- UCHICAGO ARGONNE, LLC (Argonne, IL) ANL
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2013 Jan 14
- Research Org:
- Argonne National Lab. (ANL), Argonne, IL (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE; 25 ENERGY STORAGE
Other works cited in this record:Novel LiCoO2 Cathode Material with Al2O3 Coating for a Li Ion Cell
journal, December 2000
- Cho, Jaephil; Kim, Yong Jeong; Park, Byungwoo
- Chemistry of Materials, Vol. 12, Issue 12, p. 3788-3791
Improved capacity retention in rechargeable 4 V lithium/lithium-manganese oxide (spinel) cells
journal, April 1994
- Gummow, R. J.; de Kock, A.; Thackeray, M. M.
- Solid State Ionics, Vol. 69, Issue 1, p. 59-67
Optimization of Insertion Compounds Such as LiMn2O4 for Li-Ion Batteries
journal, November 2002
- Amatucci, G.; Tarascon, J.-M.
- Journal of The Electrochemical Society, Vol. 149, Issue 12, p. K31-K46
Superior Capacity Retention Spinel Oxyfluoride Cathodes for Lithium-Ion Batteries
journal, March 2006
- Choi, W.; Manthiram, A.
- Electrochemical and Solid-State Letters, Vol. 9, Issue 5, p. A245-A248
The Electrochemical Stability of Spinel Electrodes Coated with ZrO2, Al2O3, and SiO2 from Colloidal Suspensions
journal, January 2004
- Kim, J.-S.; Johnson, C. S.; Vaughey, J. T.
- Journal of The Electrochemical Society, Vol. 151, Issue 10, p. A1755-A1761
Advances in manganese-oxide ‘composite’ electrodes for lithium-ion batteries
journal, March 2005
- Thackeray, Michael M.; Johnson, Christopher S.; Vaughey, John T.
- Journal of Materials Chemistry, Vol. 15, Issue 23, p. 2257-2267
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: