Absorber for wakefield interference management at the entrance of the wiggler of a free electron laser
A method for managing the broad band microwave and TeraHertz (THz) radiation in a free electron laser (FEL) having a wiggler producing power in the electromagnetic spectrum. The method includes placement of broadband microwave and TeraHertz (THz) radiation absorbers on the upstream end of the wiggler. The absorbers dampen the bounced back, broad band microwave and THz radiation returning from the surfaces outside the nose of the cookie-cutter and thus preventing broadening of the electron beam pulse's narrow longitudinal energy distribution. Broadening diminishes the ultimate laser power from the wiggler. The broadband microwave and THz radiation absorbers are placed on either side of the slot in the cookie-cutter that shapes the wake field wave of the electron pulse to the slot shape of the wiggler chamber aperture. The broad band microwave and THz radiation absorber is preferably a non-porous pyrolytic grade of graphite with small grain size.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- JEFFERSON SCIENCE ASSOCIATES, LLC TJNAF
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2016 May 11
- Research Org:
- Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility (TJNAF), Newport News, VA (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 71 CLASSICAL AND QUANTUM MECHANICS, GENERAL PHYSICS
Other works cited in this record:Ribbon beam free electron laser
patent, December 1989
- Dolezal, Franklin A.; Harvey, Robin J.
- US Patent Document 4,888,776
High field pulsed microwiggler comprising a conductive tube with periodically space slots
patent, September 1992
- Warren, Roger W.
- US Patent Document 5,144,193
Absorber for terahertz radiation management
patent, December 2015
- Biallas, George Herman; Apeldoorn, Cornelis; Williams, Gwyn P.
- US Patent Document 9,209,587
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: