Strain mapping in TEM using precession electron diffraction
A sample material is scanned with a transmission electron microscope (TEM) over multiple steps having a predetermined size at a predetermined angle. Each scan at a predetermined step and angle is compared to a template, wherein the template is generated from parameters of the material and the scanning. The data is then analyzed using local mis-orientation mapping and/or Nye's tensor analysis to provide information about local strain states.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Drexel University DOESC
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- SC0008274; NE0000315
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2014 May 23
- Research Org:
- Drexel Univ., Philadelphia, PA (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE
Other works cited in this record:Lattice strain measuring system and method
patent, August 2006
- Soeda, Takeshi
- US Patent Document 7,084,400
Method and system of evaluating distribution of lattice strain on crystal material
patent, October 2013
- Nojima, Kazuhiro
- US Patent Document 8,552,372
System and process for measuring strain in materials at high spatial resolution
patent, March 2016
- Weiss, Jon Karl; Darbal, Amith D.; Narayan, Raman D.
- US Patent Document 9,274,070
ACOM-TEM and its application for the investigation of deformation pathways in nanocrystalline Pd and AuPd
book, November 2016
- Kobler, Aaron; Kübel, Christian; Hahn, Horst
- European Microscopy Congress 2016: Proceedings
Combination of in situ straining and ACOM TEM: A novel method for analysis of plastic deformation of nanocrystalline metals
journal, May 2013
- Kobler, A.; Kashiwar, A.; Hahn, H.
- Ultramicroscopy, Vol. 128, p. 68-81
Estimation of dislocation density from precession electron diffraction data using the Nye tensor
journal, June 2015
- Leff, A. C.; Weinberger, C. R.; Taheri, M. L.
- Ultramicroscopy, Vol. 153, p. 9-21
Misorientation Mapping for Visualization of Plastic Deformation via Electron Back-Scattered Diffraction
journal, January 2006
- Brewer, L. N.; Othon, M. A.; Young, L. M.
- Microscopy and Microanalysis, Vol. 12, Issue 1, p. 85-91
Evaluation of strain caused by coherent precipitates in an Al alloy using TEM techniques
journal, November 2012
- Hernández-Rivera, J. L.; Rivera, J. J. Cruz; Garay-Reyes, C. G.
- Materials Characterization, Vol. 73, p. 61-67
Quantitative measurement of displacement and strain fields from HREM micrographs
journal, August 1998
- Hÿtch, M. J.; Snoeck, E.; Kilaas, R.
- Ultramicroscopy, Vol. 74, Issue 3, p. 131-146
Nanoscale waviness of low-angle grain boundaries
journal, December 2004
- Johnson, C. L.; Hytch, M. J.; Buseck, P. R.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 101, Issue 52, p. 17936-17939
Coupled microstructural observations and local texture measurements with an automated crystallographic orientation mapping tool attached to a tem
journal, October 2005
- Rauch, E. F.; Veron, M.
- Materialwissenschaft und Werkstofftechnik, Vol. 36, Issue 10, p. 552-556
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: