Remote actuated cryocooler for superconducting generator and method of assembling the same
In one embodiment, a cryocooler assembly for cooling a heat load is provided. The cryocooler assembly includes a vacuum vessel surrounding the heat load and a cryocooler at least partially inserted into the vacuum vessel, the cryocooler including a coldhead. The assembly further includes an actuator coupled to the cryocooler. The actuator is configured to translate the cryocooler coldhead into thermal engagement with the heat load and to maintain constant pressure of the coldhead against the heat load to facilitate maintaining thermal engagement with the heat load as the heat load shrinks during a cool down process.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- General Electric Company DOEEE
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2012 Oct 08
- Research Org:
- General Electric Company, Niskayuna, NY (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 42 ENGINEERING; 32 ENERGY CONSERVATION, CONSUMPTION, AND UTILIZATION
Other works cited in this record:Thermal Super Insulation
patent, November 1973
- Deschamps, Nicholas Howard; Bernier, Gerald L.
- US Patent Document 3,769,770
Automatic current lead retractor system for superconducting magnets
patent, October 1985
- Ennis, Robert M.; Coffey, D. Michael; McGhee, R. Wayne
- US Patent Document 4,544,979
Cryogenic precooler and cryocooler cold head interface receptacle
patent, May 1990
- Dorri, Bizhan; Laskaris, Evangelos T.
- US Patent Document 4,926,647
Cryocooler cold head interface receptacle
patent, June 1990
- Brzozowski, Steven J.
- US Patent Document 4,930,318
Refrigerated MR magnet support system
patent, January 1991
- Laskaris, Evangelos T.
- US Patent Document 4,986,078
Redundant cryorefrigerator system for a refrigerated superconductive magnet
patent, May 1992
- Ackermann, Robert A.
- US Patent Document 5,111,665
Vibration isolation of superconducting magnets
patent, July 1992
- Minas, Constantinos; Herd, Kenneth G.; Laskaris, Evangelos T.
- US Patent Document 5,129,232
Superconducting magnet having a retractable cryocooler sleeve assembly
patent, July 1995
- Herd, Kenneth G.; Laskaris, Evangelos T.; Thompson, Paul S.
- US Patent Document 5,430,423
High performance thermal interface for low temperature electronic modules
patent, November 1995
- Vader, David T.; Vasile, Vincent C.
- US Patent Document 5,463,872
Cryogen-cooled open MRI superconductive magnet
patent, October 1996
- Laskaris, Evangelos T.; Dorri, Bizhan; Ackermann, Robert A.
- US Patent Document 5,563,566
patent, June 1997
- Good, Jeremy A.
- US Patent Document 5,635,888
Apparatus and method for regulating temperature in a cryogenic test chamber
patent, July 1997
- Sager, Ronald E.; Spagna, Stefano
- US Patent Document 5,647,228
Internal torque tube for superconducting motor
patent, March 1999
- Shoykhet, Boris A.
- US Patent Document 5,880,547
Composite torque tube for superconducting motor
patent, October 2000
- Shoykhet, Boris A.
- US Patent Document 6,129,477
Methods and apparatus for cooling systems for cryogenic power conversion electronics
patent, January 2001
- Gold, Calman
- US Patent Document 6,173,577
High power density super-conducting electric machine
patent, July 2003
- Dawson, Richard; Wang, Yu; Laskaris, Evangelos Trifon
- US Patent Document 6,590,308
Micro heat barrier
patent, August 2003
- Marshall, Albert C.; Kravitz, Stanley H.; Tigges, Chris P.
- US Patent Document 6,605,339
Super-conducting rotor coil support with tension rods and bolts
patent, August 2003
- Laskaris, Evangelos Trifon; Alexander, James Pellegrino
- US Patent Document 6,605,885
High temperature super-conducting rotor having a vacuum vessel and electromagnetic shield and an assembly method
patent, July 2004
- Wang, Yu; Weeber, Konrad Roman; Sivasubramaniam, Kiruba
- US Patent Document 6,762,517
Super-conducting synchronous machine having rotor and a plurality of super-conducting field coil windings
patent, October 2004
- Wang, Yu; Alexander, James Pellegrino
- US Patent Document 6,803,684
Electrical machine with double-sided lamination stack
patent, June 2009
- Jansen, Patrick Lee; Fogarty, James Michael; Bagepalli, Bharat Sampathkumaran
- US Patent Document 7,548,008
Thermal isolating torque tube
patent, July 2009
- Halsey, David G.
- US Patent Document 7,567,418
Machine comprising a rotor and a superconducting rotor winding
patent, June 2010
- Ries, Gunter
- US Patent Document 7,741,738
Method and apparatus for a superconducting generator driven by wind turbine
patent, October 2010
- Laskaris, Evangelos Trifon; Sivasubramaniam, Kiruba
- US Patent Document 7,821,164
Transient shielding effect of slitted electrothermal shield of superconducting generator
journal, January 1992
- Hahn, S. C.; Cha, G. S.; Lee, H. B.
- IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 28, Issue 1, p. 295-298
A new technique for the analysis of torque tube heat exchangers of superconducting generators
journal, May 1996
- Sahoo, Pradeep Kumar; Sarangi, Sunil
- Cryogenics, Vol. 36, Issue 5, p. 343-349
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: