Engineered glass seals for solid-oxide fuel cells
A seal for a solid oxide fuel cell includes a glass matrix having glass percolation therethrough and having a glass transition temperature below 650.degree. C. A deformable second phase material is dispersed in the glass matrix. The second phase material can be a compliant material. The second phase material can be a crushable material. A solid oxide fuel cell, a precursor for forming a seal for a solid oxide fuel cell, and a method of making a seal for a solid oxide fuel cell are also disclosed.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- UT-BATTELLE, LLC ORNL
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2013 Jul 24
- Research Org:
- Oak Ridge National Lab. (ORNL), Oak Ridge, TN (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE; 30 DIRECT ENERGY CONVERSION
Other works cited in this record:Compliant alkali silicate sealing glass for solid oxide fuel cell applications: Thermal cycle stability and chemical compatibility
journal, March 2011
- Chou, Yeong-Shyung; Thomsen, E. C.; Williams, R. T.
- Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 196, Issue 5, p. 2709-2716
Sealants for solid oxide fuel cells
journal, September 2005
- Fergus, Jeffrey W.
- Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 147, Issue 1-2, p. 46-57
Glass-based seals for solid oxide fuel and electrolyzer cells – A review
journal, February 2010
- Mahapatra, M. K.; Lu, K.
- Materials Science and Engineering: R: Reports, Vol. 67, Issue 5-6, p. 65-85
Physical and Mechanical Properties of Barium Alkali Silicate Glasses for SOFC Sealing Applications
journal, November 2012
- Trejo, Rosa; Lara-Curzio, Edgar; Shyam, Amit
- International Journal of Applied Glass Science, Vol. 3, Issue 4, p. 369-379
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: