Dense plasma focus (DPF) accelerated non radio isotopic radiological source
A non-radio-isotopic radiological source using a dense plasma focus (DPF) to produce an intense z-pinch plasma from a gas, such as helium, and which accelerates charged particles, such as generated from the gas or injected from an external source, into a target positioned along an acceleration axis and of a type known to emit ionizing radiation when impinged by the type of accelerated charged particles. In a preferred embodiment, helium gas is used to produce a DPF-accelerated He2+ ion beam to a beryllium target, to produce neutron emission having a similar energy spectrum as a radio-isotopic AmBe neutron source. Furthermore, multiple DPFs may be stacked to provide staged acceleration of charged particles for enhancing energy, tunability, and control of the source.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- Lawrence Livermore National Security, LLC (Livermore, CA) LLNL
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2010 Feb 22
- Research Org:
- Lawrence Livermore National Lab. (LLNL), Livermore, CA (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 07 ISOTOPE AND RADIATION SOURCES
Other works cited in this record:Pyrotron Thermonuclear Reactor and Process
patent, February 1965
- Post, Richard F.
- US Patent Document 3,170,841
Plasma focus light source with improved pulse power system
patent, November 2004
- Melnychuk, Stephan; Partlo, William; Fomenkov, Igor
- US Patent Document 6,815,700
An investigation of the ion beam of a plasma focus using a metal obstacle and deuterated target
journal, June 1991
- Moo, S. P.; Chakrabarty, C. K.; Lee, S.
- IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, Vol. 19, Issue 3, p. 515-519
A Z-Pinch Plasma Lens for Focusing High-Energy Particles in an Accelerator
journal, January 1987
- Autin, B.; Riege, H.; Boggasch, E.
- IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, Vol. 15, Issue 2, p. 226-237
Applications of the dense plasma focus to nuclear fusion and plasma astrophysics
journal, December 2003
- Pouzo, J. O.; Milanese, M. M.
- IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, Vol. 31, Issue 6, p. 1237-1242
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: