Strontium cobaltite oxygen sponge catalyst and methods of use
Rapid, reversible redox activity may be accomplished at significantly reduced temperatures, as low as about 200.degree. C., from epitaxially stabilized, oxygen vacancy ordered SrCoO.sub.2.5 and thermodynamically unfavorable perovskite SrCoO.sub.3-.delta.. The fast, low temperature redox activity in SrCoO.sub.3-.delta. may be attributed to a small Gibbs free energy difference between the two topotactic phases. Epitaxially stabilized thin films of strontium cobaltite provide a catalyst adapted to rapidly transition between oxidation states at substantially low temperatures. Methods of transitioning a strontium cobaltite catalyst from a first oxidation state to a second oxidation state are described.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- UT-BATTELLE, LLC (Oak Ridge, TN) ORNL
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2013 Nov 26
- Research Org:
- Oak Ridge National Lab. (ORNL), Oak Ridge, TN (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 37 INORGANIC, ORGANIC, PHYSICAL, AND ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY
Other works cited in this record:Process for growing a film epitaxially upon an oxide surface and structures formed with the process
patent, March 1999
- McKee, Rodney Allen; Walker, Frederick Joseph
- US Patent Document 5,876,866
Hybrid thin film/thick film solid oxide fuel cell and method of manufacturing the same
patent, May 2005
- Kearl, Daniel
- US Patent Document 6,896,992
Solid oxide fuel cell and manufacturing method thereof
patent, March 2011
- Inagaki, Toru; Yoshida, Hiroyuki; Sasaki, Tsunehisa
- US Patent Document 7,914,941
Chemical Structures and Performance of Perovskite Oxides
journal, July 2001
- Pena, M.; Fierro, J.
- Chemical Reviews, Vol. 101, Issue 7, p. 1981-2018
Towards the computational design of solid catalysts
journal, April 2009
- Nørskov, J.; Bligaard, T.; Rossmeisl, J.
- Nature Chemistry, Vol. 1, Issue 1, p. 37-46
A high-performance cathode for the next generation of solid-oxide fuel cells
journal, September 2004
- Shao, Zongping; Haile, Sossina M.
- Nature, Vol. 431, Issue 7005, p. 170-173
CaMnO2.5 and Ca2MnO3.5: New oxygen-defect perovskite-type oxides
journal, August 1982
- Poeppelmeier, K. R.; Leonowicz, M. E.; Longo, J. M.
- Journal of Solid State Chemistry, Vol. 44, Issue 1, p. 89-98
The Hydride Anion in an Extended Transition Metal Oxide Array: LaSrCoO3H0.7
journal, March 2002
- Hayward, M.; Cussen, E.; Claridge, J.
- Science, Vol. 295, Issue 5561, p. 1882-1884
Anisotropic oxygen diffusion at low temperature in perovskite-structure iron oxides
journal, February 2010
- Inoue, Satoru; Kawai, Masanori; Ichikawa, Noriya
- Nature Chemistry, Vol. 2, Issue 3, p. 213-217
Magnetic Structure of SrCoO2.5
journal, October 1972
- Takeda, Takayoshi; Yamaguchi, Yasuo; Watanabe, Hiroshi
- Journal of the Physical Society of Japan, Vol. 33, Issue 4, p. 970-972
Preparation and characterization of Fully stoichiometric SrCoO3 by electrochemical oxidation
journal, January 1993
- Bezdicka, P.; Wattiaux, A.; Grenier, J.
- Zeitschrift fur anorganische und allgemeine Chemie, Vol. 619, Issue 1, p. 7-12
Time-Resolved in Situ Studies of Oxygen Intercalation into SrCoO2.5, Performed by Neutron Diffraction and X-ray Absorption Spectroscopy
journal, October 2006
- Le Toquin, Ronan; Paulus, Werner; Cousson, Alain
- Journal of the American Chemical Society, Vol. 128, Issue 40, p. 13161-13174
Topotactic Electrochemical Redox Reactions of the Defect Perovskite SrCoO2.5+x
- Nemudry, A.; Rudolf, P.; Schollhorn, R.
- Chemistry of Materials, Vol. 8, Issue 9, p. 2232-2238
The effect of oxygen vacancy on the magnetic properties in the system SrCoO3−δ (0 < δ < 0.5)
journal, August 1979
- Taguchi, H.; Shimada, M.; Koizumi, M.
- Journal of Solid State Chemistry, Vol. 29, Issue 2, p. 221-225
Comparison of the chemical diffusion of undoped and Nb-doped SrTiO3
journal, November 1999
- Pasierb, P.; Komornicki, S.; Rekas, M.
- Journal of Physics and Chemistry of Solids, Vol. 60, Issue 11, p. 1835-1844
Nonstoichiometry of the perovskite-type oxide La1−xSrxCrO3−δ
journal, March 1984
- Mizusaki, Junichiro; Yamauchi, Shigeru; Fueki, Kazuo
- Solid State Ionics, Vol. 12, p. 119-124
Oxygen-holes creating different electronic phases in Fe4+-oxides: successful growth of single crystalline films of SrFeO3 and related perovskites at low oxygen pressure
journal, January 2001
- Hayashi, Naoaki; Terashima, Takahito; Takano, Mikio
- Journal of Materials Chemistry, Vol. 11, Issue 9, p. 2235-2237
Crystallographic and magnetic structure of brownmillerite: Neutron study coupled with band-structure calculations
journal, August 2008
- Munoz, A.; de la Calle, C.; Alonso, J.
- Physical Review B, Vol. 78, Issue 5, Article No. 054404
Characterization of oxygen-deficient SrCoO3–δ by electron energy-loss spectroscopy and Z-contrast imaging
journal, May 2000
- Stemmer, S.; Sane, A.; Browning, N.
- Solid State Ionics, Vol. 130, Issue 1-2, p. 71-80
Rational selection of advanced solid electrolytes for intermediate temperature fuel cells
journal, May 1992
- Sammells, Anthony F.; Cook, Ronald L.; White, James H.
- Solid State Ionics, Vol. 52, Issue 1-3, p. 111-123
Magnetic and Transport Properties of the System La1-xSrxCoO3-δ (0 < x ≤ 0.50)
journal, September 1995
- Senarı́s-Rodrıiguez, M.; Goodenough, J.
- Journal of Solid State Chemistry, Vol. 118, Issue 2, p. 323-336
Glassy ferromagnetism and magnetic phase separation in
journal, May 2003
- Wu, J.; Leighton, C.
- Physical Review B, Vol. 67, Issue 17, Article No. 174408
Design principles for oxygen-reduction activity on perovskite oxide catalysts for fuel cells and metal–air batteries
journal, June 2011
- Suntivich, Jin; Gasteiger, Hubert A.; Yabuuchi, Naoaki
- Nature Chemistry, Vol. 3, Issue 7, p. 546-550
journal, October 1998
- Imada, Masatoshi; Fujimori, Atsushi; Tokura, Yoshinori
- Reviews of Modern Physics, Vol. 70, Issue 4, p. 1039-1263
Hole-state density of across the insulator/metal phase boundary
journal, February 2000
- Moodenbaugh, A.; Nielsen, B.; Sambasivan, Sharadha
- Physical Review B, Vol. 61, Issue 8, p. 5666-5671
O-K and Co-L XANES Study on Oxygen Intercalation in Perovskite SrCoO3-δ
journal, January 2010
- Karvonen, Lassi; Valkeapaa, Markus; Liu, Ru-Shi
- Chemistry of Materials, Vol. 22, Issue 1, p. 70-76
Magnetic phase separation in SrCoOx (2.5 ≤ x ≤ 3)
journal, August 2011
- Xie, C.; Nie, Y.; Wells, B.
- Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 99, Issue 5, Article No. 052503
Specific-heat evidence of strong electron correlations and thermoelectric properties of the ferromagnetic perovskite
journal, November 2006
- Balamurugan, S.; Yamaura, K.; Karki, A.
- Physical Review B, Vol. 74, Issue 17, Article No. 172406
Reduction and oxidation of SrCoO2.5 thin films at low temperatures
journal, January 2012
- Ichikawa, Noriya; Iwanowska, Monika; Kawai, Masanori
- Dalton Transactions, Vol. 41, Issue 35, p. 10507-10510
Coupled Magnetic-Ferroelectric Metal-Insulator Transition in Epitaxially Strained from First Principles
journal, August 2011
- Lee, Jun Hee; Rabe, Karin
- Physical Review Letters, Vol. 107, Issue 6, Article No. 067601
Possibility for an intermediate-spin ground state in the charge-transfer material
journal, May 1995
- Potze, R.; Sawatzky, G.; Abbate, M.
- Physical Review B, Vol. 51, Issue 17, p. 11501-11506
A new form of oxygen deficient 1201-cobaltite (Tl0.4Sr0.5Co0.1)Sr2CoO5 – δ: structure, transport and magnetic properties
journal, March 2002
- Maignan, A.; Pelloquin, D.; Martin, C.
- Journal of Materials Chemistry, Vol. 12, Issue 4, p. 1009-1016
Efficient stabilization of cubic perovskite SrCoO3−δ by B-site low concentration scandium doping combined with sol–gel synthesis
journal, May 2008
- Zeng, Pingying; Ran, Ran; Chen, Zhihao
- Journal of Alloys and Compounds, Vol. 455, Issue 1-2, p. 465-470
Infinite-layer iron oxide with a square-planar coordination
journal, December 2007
- Tsujimoto, Y.; Tassel, C.; Hayashi, N.
- Nature, Vol. 450, Issue 7172, p. 1062-1065
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: