Cerium-iron-based magnetic compounds
New magnetic materials containing cerium, iron, and small additions of a third element are disclosed. These materials comprise compounds Ce(Fe.sub.12-xM.sub.x) where x=1-4, having the ThMn.sub.12 tetragonal crystal structure (space group I4/mmm, #139). Compounds with M=B, Al, Si, P, S, Sc, Co, Ni, Zn, Ga, Ge, Zr, Nb, Hf, Ta, and W are identified theoretically, and one class of compounds based on M=Si has been synthesized. The Si cognates are characterized by large magnetic moments (4.pi.M.sub.s greater than 1.27 Tesla) and high Curie temperatures (264.ltoreq.T.sub.c.ltoreq.305.degree. C.). The Ce(Fe.sub.12-xM.sub.x) compound may contain one or more of Ti, V, Cr, and Mo in combination with an M element. Further enhancement in T.sub.c is obtained by nitriding the Ce compounds through heat treatment in N.sub.2 gas while retaining the ThMn.sub.12 tetragonal crystal structure; for example CeFe.sub.10Si.sub.2N.sub.1.29 has T.sub.c=426.degree. C.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- GM Global Technology Operations LLC (Detroit, MI) ARPA-E
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2013 Mar 06
- Research Org:
- GM Global Technology Operations LLC, Detroit, MI (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE
Other works cited in this record:High coercivity rare earth-iron magnets
patent, January 1985
- Croat, John
- US Patent Document 4,496,395
Permanent magnetic material made of iron-rare earth metal alloy
patent, June 1995
- Iwata, Masao
- US Patent Document 5,800,728
A new type of soft ferromagnetic alloys: RFe12−xGex
journal, July 1998
- Lachêvre, V.; Barbara, B.; Fruchart, D.
- Journal of Alloys and Compounds, Vol. 275-277, p. 615-619
Effect of nitrogen on the structural and magnetic properties of intermetallic compounds with the ThMn12 structure
journal, November 1991
- Wang, Y. Z.; Hadjipanayis, G. C.
- Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 70, Issue 10, p. 6009-6011
Magnetic properties of Fe‐rich rare‐earth intermetallic compounds with a ThMn12 structure
journal, November 1988
- Ohashi, K.; Tawara, Y.; Osugi, R.
- Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 64, Issue 10, p. 5714-5716
About hydrogen insertion in ThMn12 type alloys
journal, May 1997
- Obbade, S.; Fruchart, D.; Bououdina, M.
- Journal of Alloys and Compounds, Vol. 253-254, p. 298-301
Structural investigations of NdFe12−x−yTixNby alloys
journal, April 2002
- Efthimiadis, K. G.; Chadjivasiliou, S. C.; Sianou, A. K.
- Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, Vol. 242-245, p. 1381-1383
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: