High pressure low temperature hot pressing method for producing a zirconium carbide ceramic
A method for producing monolithic Zirconium Carbide (ZrC) is described. The method includes raising a pressure applied to a ZrC powder until a final pressure of greater than 40 MPa is reached; and raising a temperature of the ZrC powder until a final temperature of less than 2200.degree. C. is reached.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- U.S. Department of Energy (Washington, DC) BAPL
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2014 Feb 18
- Research Org:
- Bettis Atomic Power Laboratory (BAPL), West Mifflin, PA (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE
Other works cited in this record:Ablation resistant zirconium and hafnium ceramics
patent, May 1998
- Bull, Jeffrey; White, Michael; Kaufman, Larry
- US Patent Document 5,750,450
Method of producing bioactive composite materials
patent, January 2005
- Adolfsson, Erik; Hermansson, Leif
- US Patent Document 6,843,943
Macrostresses in sintered carbides
journal, May 1984
- Deryavko, I. I.; Lanin, A. G.; Bochkov, N. A.
- Soviet Powder Metallurgy and Metal Ceramics, Vol. 23, Issue 5, p. 384-387
Effect of shock waves on refractory compounds: IV. Zirconium carbide
journal, October 1974
- Anan'in, A. V.; Breusov, O. N.; Dremin, A. N.
- Soviet Powder Metallurgy and Metal Ceramics, Vol. 13, Issue 10, p. 858-861
Influence of the density of zirconium carbide compacts on the density of sintered specimens
journal, January 1968
- Nezhevenko, L. B.; Gurevich, B. D.; Groshev, V. I.
- Soviet Powder Metallurgy and Metal Ceramics, Vol. 7, Issue 1, p. 11-12
Investigation of the sintering of loosely poured titanium carbide and zirconium carbide powders
journal, August 1967
- Kushtalova, I. P.
- Soviet Powder Metallurgy and Metal Ceramics, Vol. 6, Issue 8, p. 604-605
Preparation of disordered and ordered highly nonstoichiometric carbides and evaluation of their homogeneity
journal, July 2000
- Rempel, A. A.; Gusev, A. I.
- Physics of the Solid State, Vol. 42, Issue 7, p. 1280-1286
Effect of dispersion on powder sintering
journal, November 1969
- Gropyanov, V. M.
- Refractories, Vol. 10, Issue 11-12, p. 769-775
Effect of structure and substructure on the strength of sintered zirconium carbide specimens
journal, January 1979
- Kruglov, V. N.; Gurevich, B. D.; Groshev, V. I.
- Soviet Powder Metallurgy and Metal Ceramics, Vol. 18, Issue 1, p. 47-51
Non-isothermal sintering parameters and their influence on the structure and properties of zirconium carbide
journal, January 1991
- Lanin, A.G.; Marchev, E.V.; Pritchin, S.A.
- Ceramics International, Vol. 17, Issue 5, p. 301-307
Zirconium carbide recrystallization
journal, February 1986
- Lanin, A. G.; Turchin, V. N.; Erin, O. N.
- Soviet Powder Metallurgy and Metal Ceramics, Vol. 25, Issue 2, p. 151-156
Effect of structural vacancies in interstitial phases on their sintering shrinkage
journal, June 1977
- Andrievskii, R. A.; Klimenko, V. V.; Mitrofanov, V. I.
- Soviet Powder Metallurgy and Metal Ceramics, Vol. 16, Issue 6, p. 423-426
Isothermal sintering kinetics of zirconium carbide
journal, December 1977
- Ordan'yan, S. S.; Kravchik, A. E.; Neshpor, V. S.
- Soviet Powder Metallurgy and Metal Ceramics, Vol. 16, Issue 12, p. 952-955
The sintering of zirconium carbide
journal, April 1977
- Bulychev, V. P.; Andrievskii, R. A.; Nezhevenko, L. B.
- Soviet Powder Metallurgy and Metal Ceramics, Vol. 16, Issue 4, p. 273-276
Thermophysical properties of hot-pressed TiC-C and ZrC-C composite materials at high temperatures
journal, April 1979
- Gorinskii, S. G.; Shabalin, I. L.; Korshunov, I. G.
- Soviet Powder Metallurgy and Metal Ceramics, Vol. 18, Issue 4, p. 266-269
Hot-pressing kinetics of zirconium carbide
journal, July 1986
- Barnier, P.; Brodhag, C.; Thevenot, F.
- Journal of Materials Science, Vol. 21, Issue 7, p. 2547-2552
Solid state properties of group IVb carbonitrides
journal, January 1995
- Lengauer, W.; Binder, S.; Aigner, K.
- Journal of Alloys and Compounds, Vol. 217, Issue 1, p. 137-147
Mechanically induced solid state carburization for fabrication of nanocrystalline ZrC refractory material powders
journal, March 2000
- Mahday, Amir A.; Sherif El-Eskandarany, M.; Ahmed, H. A.
- Journal of Alloys and Compounds, Vol. 299, Issue 1-2, p. 244-253
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: