Semiconductor nanocrystal probes for biological applications and process for making and using such probes
A semiconductor nanocrystal compound and probe are described. The compound is capable of linking to one or more affinity molecules. The compound comprises (1) one or more semiconductor nanocrystals capable of, in response to exposure to a first energy, providing a second energy, and (2) one or more linking agents, having a first portion linked to the one or more semiconductor nanocrystals and a second portion capable of linking to one or more affinity molecules. One or more semiconductor nanocrystal compounds are linked to one or more affinity molecules to form a semiconductor nanocrystal probe capable of bonding with one or more detectable substances in a material being analyzed, and capable of, in response to exposure to a first energy, providing a second energy. Also described are processes for respectively: making the semiconductor nanocrystal compound; making the semiconductor nanocrystal probe; and treating materials with the probe.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- The Regents of the University of California (Oakland, CA) LBNL
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2013 Dec 11
- Research Org:
- Lawrence Berkeley National Lab. (LBNL), Berkeley, CA (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE; 77 NANOSCIENCE AND NANOTECHNOLOGY
Other works cited in this record:Nanocrystal targeting in vivo
journal, September 2002
- Akerman, M. E.; Chan, W. C. W.; Laakkonen, P.
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Vol. 99, Issue 20, p. 12617-12621
Strong molecular alignment in anisotropic fluid media
journal, September 1996
- Bain, A. J.; Chandna, P.; Butcher, G.
- Chemical Physics Letters, Vol. 260, Issue 3-4, p. 441-446
Formation of monolayer films by the spontaneous assembly of organic thiols from solution onto gold
journal, January 1989
- Bain, Colin D.; Troughton, E. Barry; Tao, Yu Tai
- Journal of the American Chemical Society, Vol. 111, Issue 1, p. 321-335
Formation of monolayers by the coadsorption of thiols on gold: variation in the head group, tail group, and solvent
journal, August 1989
- Bain, Colin D.; Evall, Joe; Whitesides, George M.
- Journal of the American Chemical Society, Vol. 111, Issue 18, p. 7155-7164
Synthesis of a Small Molecule Combinatorial Library Encoded with Molecular Tags
journal, May 1995
- Baldwin, John J.; Burbaum, Jonathan J.; Henderson, Ian
- Journal of the American Chemical Society, Vol. 117, Issue 20, p. 5588-5589
Rapid processes of darkening and bleaching in Cds doped glasses
journal, January 1991
- Baltramiejũnas, R.; Gulbinas, V.; Ekimov, A. I.
- Superlattices and Microstructures, Vol. 10, Issue 3, p. 307-310
Inorganic phosphors as new luminescent labels for immunocytochemistry and time-resolved microscopy
journal, January 1990
- Beverloo, H. B.; van Schadewijk, A.; van Gelderen-Boele, S.
- Cytometry, Vol. 11, Issue 7, p. 784-792
Deactivation of Q-cadmium sulfide photoluminescence through polynucleotide surface binding
journal, December 1992
- Bigham, Shelli R.; Coffer, Jeffery L.
- The Journal of Physical Chemistry, Vol. 96, Issue 26, p. 10581-10584
The influence of adenine content on the properties of Q-CdS clusters stabilized by polynucleotides
journal, February 1995
- Bigham, Shelli R.; Coffer, Jeffery L.
- Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, Vol. 95, Issue 2-3, p. 211-219
Luminescence properties of semiconductor quantum dots
journal, June 1997
- Bimberg, D.; Ledentsov, N. N.; Grundmann, M.
- Journal of Luminescence, Vol. 72-74, p. 34-37
Semiconductor Nanocrystals as Fluorescent Biological Labels
patent, September 1998
- Bruchez Jr., Marcel; Moronne, Mario Moronne; Gin, Peter Gin
- Science, Vol. 281, Issue 5385, p. 2013-2016
Electronic wave functions in semiconductor clusters: experiment and theory
journal, June 1986
- Brus, Louis
- The Journal of Physical Chemistry, Vol. 90, Issue 12, p. 2555-2560
Optical properties of Mn-doped CdS nanocrystals
journal, February 1996
- Chamarro, M. A.; Voliotis, V.; Grousson, R.
- Journal of Crystal Growth, Vol. 159, Issue 1-4, p. 853-856
Photoluminescence polarization of semiconductor nanocrystals
journal, October 1996
- Chamarro, M.; Gourdon, C.; Lavallard, P.
- Journal of Luminescence, Vol. 70, Issue 1-6, p. 222-237
Quantum Dot Bioconjugates for Ultrasensitive Nonisotopic Detection
journal, September 1998
- Chan, Warren C. W.; Nie, Shuming
- Science, Vol. 281, Issue 5385, p. 2016-2018
Auger ionization of semiconductor quantum drops in a glass matrix
journal, October 1990
- Chepic, D. I.; Efros, Al. L.; Ekimov, A. I.
- Journal of Luminescence, Vol. 47, Issue 3, p. 113-127
Coadsorption of ferrocene-terminated and unsubstituted alkanethiols on gold: electroactive self-assembled monolayers
journal, May 1990
- Chidsey, Christopher E. D.; Bertozzi, Carolyn R.; Putvinski, T. M.
- Journal of the American Chemical Society, Vol. 112, Issue 11, p. 4301-4306
Semiconductor nanocrystals covalently bound to metal surfaces with self-assembled monolayers
journal, June 1992
- Colvin, V. L.; Goldstein, A. N.; Alivisatos, A. P.
- Journal of the American Chemical Society, Vol. 114, Issue 13, p. 5221-5230
Scintillation proximity assay: a versatile high-throughput screening technology
journal, July 1996
- Cook, Neil D.
- Drug Discovery Today, Vol. 1, Issue 7, p. 287-294
Stabilization of CdS semiconductor nanoparticles against photodegradation by a silica coating procedure
journal, April 1998
- Correa-Duarte, Miguel A.; Giersig, Michael; Liz-Marzán, Luis M.
- Chemical Physics Letters, Vol. 286, Issue 5-6, p. 497-501
(CdSe)ZnS Core−Shell Quantum Dots: Synthesis and Characterization of a Size Series of Highly Luminescent Nanocrystallites
journal, November 1997
- Dabbousi, B. O.; Rodriguez-Viejo, J.; Mikulec, F. V.
- The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, Vol. 101, Issue 46, p. 9463-9475
Biosynthesis of cadmium sulphide quantum semiconductor crystallites
journal, April 1989
- Dameron, C. T.; Reese, R. N.; Mehra, R. K.
- Nature, Vol. 338, Issue 6216, p. 596-597
Preparation of II–VI quantum dot composites by electrospray organometallic chemical vapor deposition
journal, December 1994
- Danek, M.; Jensen, K. F.; Murray, C. B.
- Journal of Crystal Growth, Vol. 145, Issue 1-4, p. 714-720
Time-resolved luminescence of CdSe microcrystals
journal, May 1990
- Dneprovskii, V. S.; Efros, Al. L.; Ekimov, A. I.
- Solid State Communications, Vol. 74, Issue 7, p. 555-557
Subpicosecond dynamics of confined excitons and optical nonlinearities of CuCl quantum dots
journal, December 1995
- Edamatsu, Keiichi; Yano, Satoshi; Iwai, Sadayuki
- Journal of Luminescence, Vol. 66-67, p. 406-409
Resonance Raman spectroscopy of electron-hole pairs - polar phonon coupling in semiconductor quantum microcrystals
journal, June 1991
- Efros, Al. L.; Ekimov, A. I.; Kozlowski, F.
- Solid State Communications, Vol. 78, Issue 10, p. 853-856
Spectra and decay kinetics of radiative recombination in CdS microcrystals
journal, March 1990
- Ekimov, A. I.; Kudryavtsev, I. A.; Ivanov, M. G.
- Journal of Luminescence, Vol. 46, Issue 2, p. 83-95
Donor-like exciton in zero-dimension semiconductor structures
journal, February 1989
- Ekimov, A. I.; Efros, Al. L.; Ivanov, M. G.
- Solid State Communications, Vol. 69, Issue 5, p. 565-568
Quantum size effect in semiconductor microcrystals
journal, December 1985
- Ekimov, A. I.; Efros, Al. L.; Onushchenko, A. A.
- Solid State Communications, Vol. 56, Issue 11, p. 921-924
Single molecule polarization spectroscopy: pentacene in p-terphenyl
journal, November 1996
- Güttler, Frank; Croci, Mauro; Renn, Alois
- Chemical Physics, Vol. 211, Issue 1-3, p. 421-430
Photochemistry and radiation chemistry of colloidal semiconductors. 23. Electron storage on zinc oxide particles and size quantization
journal, January 1988
- Haase, Markus; Weller, Horst; Henglein, Arnim
- The Journal of Physical Chemistry, Vol. 92, Issue 2, p. 482-487
Quantum-dot-tagged microbeads for multiplexed optical coding of biomolecules
journal, July 2001
- Han, Mingyong; Gao, Xiaohu; Su, Jack Z.
- Nature Biotechnology, Vol. 19, Issue 7, p. 631-635
Combining spontaneous molecular assembly with microfabrication to pattern surfaces: selective binding of isonitriles to platinum microwires and characterization by electrochemistry and surface spectroscopy
journal, August 1989
- Hickman, James J.; Zou, Chaofeng; Ofer, David
- Journal of the American Chemical Society, Vol. 111, Issue 18, p. 7271-7272
Synthesis and Characterization of Strongly Luminescing ZnS-Capped CdSe Nanocrystals
journal, January 1996
- Hines, Margaret A.; Guyot-Sionnest, Philippe
- The Journal of Physical Chemistry, Vol. 100, Issue 2, p. 468-471
Molecular dynamics study of melting and freezing of small Lennard-Jones clusters
journal, September 1987
- Honeycutt, J. Dana.; Andersen, Hans C.
- The Journal of Physical Chemistry, Vol. 91, Issue 19, p. 4950-4963
Assembly and applications of the inorganic nanocrystals in polymer networks
journal, August 1998
- Huang, J. M.; Yang, Y.; Yang, B.
- Thin Solid Films, Vol. 327-329, p. 536-540
Interface effects on the properties of confined excitons in CuCl microcrystals
journal, April 1994
- Itoh, Tadashi; Yano, Satoshi; Katagiri, Nobuo
- Journal of Luminescence, Vol. 60-61, p. 396-399
Subpicosecond dynamics of confined excitons in CuCl nanocrystals
journal, October 1996
- Itoh, T.; Yano, S.; Iwai, S.
- Materials Science and Engineering: A, Vol. 217-218, p. 167-170
Single Molecule Detection Using Surface-Enhanced Raman Scattering (SERS)
journal, March 1997
- Kneipp, Katrin; Wang, Yang; Kneipp, Harald
- Physical Review Letters, Vol. 78, Issue 9, p. 1667-1670
Micro photoluminescence spectra of CdTe and CdMnTe self-organized quantum dots
journal, November 1999
- Kuroda, T.; Hasegawa, N.; Minami, F.
- Journal of Luminescence, Vol. 83-84, p. 321-324
Bifunctional Capping of CdS Nanoparticles and Bridging to TiO2
journal, June 1995
- Lawless, Darren; Kapoor, Sudhir; Meisel, Dan
- The Journal of Physical Chemistry, Vol. 99, Issue 25, p. 10329-10335
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: