Method of encapsulating a phase change material with a metal oxide
Storage systems based on latent heat storage have high-energy storage density, which reduces the footprint of the system and the cost. However, phase change materials (PCMs), such as NaNO.sub.3, NaCl, KNO.sub.3, have very low thermal conductivities. To enhave the storage of PCMs, macroencapsulation of PCMs was performed using a metal oxide, such as SiO.sub.2 or a graphene-SiO.sub.2, over polyimide-coated or nickel-embedded, polyimide-coated pellets The macro encapsulation provides a self-supporting structure, enhances the heat transfer rate, and provides a cost effective and reliable solution for thermal energy storage for use in solar thermal power plants. NaNO.sub.3 was selected for thermal storage in a temperature range of 300.degree. C. to 500.degree. C. The PCM was encapsulated in a metal oxide cell using self-assembly reactions, hydrolysis, and simultaneous chemical oxidation at various temperatures.
- Issue Date:
- OSTI Identifier:
- University of South Florida (Tampa, FL) DOEEE
- Patent Number(s):
- Application Number:
- Contract Number:
- Resource Relation:
- Patent File Date: 2014 Jan 21
- Research Org:
- Univ. of South Florida, Tampa, FL (United States)
- Sponsoring Org:
- Country of Publication:
- United States
- 25 ENERGY STORAGE; 36 MATERIALS SCIENCE
Other works cited in this record:A review of materials, heat transfer and phase change problem formulation for latent heat thermal energy storage systems (LHTESS)
journal, February 2010
- Agyenim, Francis; Hewitt, Neil; Eames, Philip
- Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 14, Issue 2, p. 615-628
Thermal performance characteristics of STC system with Phase Change Storage
journal, August 1994
- Al-Jandal, S. S.; Sayigh, A. A. M.
- Renewable Energy, Vol. 5, Issue 1-4, p. 390-399
Phase change and heat transfer characteristics of a eutectic mixture of palmitic and stearic acids as PCM in a latent heat storage system
journal, December 2003
- Baran, Gülseren; Sari, Ahmet
- Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 44, Issue 20, p. 3227-3246
Materials used as PCM in thermal energy storage in buildings: A review
journal, April 2011
- Cabeza, L. F.; Castell, A.; Barreneche, C.
- Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 15, Issue 3, p. 1675-1695
A review on phase change energy storage: materials and applications
journal, June 2004
- Farid, Mohammed M.; Khudhair, Amar M.; Razack, Siddique Ali K.
- Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 45, Issue 9-10, p. 1597-1615
Solar storage systems using salt hydrate latent heat and direct contact heat exchange—II Characteristics of pilot system operating with sodium sulphate solution
journal, January 1984
- Fouda, A. E.; Despault, G. J. G.; Taylor, J. B.
- Solar Energy, Vol. 32, Issue 1, p. 57-65
Performance enhancement in latent heat thermal storage system: A review
journal, December 2009
- Jegadheeswaran, S.; Pohekar, Sanjay D.
- Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 13, Issue 9, p. 2225-2244
Fabrication and morphological characterization of microencapsulated phase change materials (MicroPCMs) and macrocapsules containing MicroPCMs for thermal energy storage
journal, February 2012
- Li, Wei; Zhang, Xing-xiang; Wang, Xue-chen
- Energy, Vol. 38, Issue 1, p. 249-254
State of the art on high-temperature thermal energy storage for power generation. Part 2—Case studies
journal, January 2010
- Medrano, Marc; Gil, Antoni; Martorell, Ingrid
- Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 14, Issue 1, p. 56-72
Effects of phase-change energy storage on the performance of air-based and liquid-based solar heating systems
journal, January 1978
- Morrison, D. J.; Abdel-Khalik, S. I.
- Solar Energy, Vol. 20, Issue 1, p. 57-67
Integrated solar collector storage system based on a salt-hydrate phase-change material
journal, December 1995
- Rabin, Y.; Bar-Niv, I.; Korin, E.
- Solar Energy, Vol. 55, Issue 6, p. 435-444
Heat transfer characteristics of thermal energy storage system using PCM capsules: A review
journal, December 2008
- Regin, A. Felix; Solanki, S. C.; Saini, J. S.
- Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 12, Issue 9, p. 2438-2458
Development of phase change materials based microencapsulated technology for buildings: A review
journal, February 2011
- Tyagi, V. V.; Kaushik, S. C.; Tyagi, S. K.
- Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 15, Issue 2, p. 1373-1391
Review on thermal energy storage with phase change: materials, heat transfer analysis and applications
journal, February 2003
- Zalba, Belén; Marı́n, José Ma; Cabeza, Luisa F.
- Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 23, Issue 3, p. 251-283
Similar records in DOepatents and OSTI.GOV collections: